Bills still making Bad Contract decisions

MAJBobby

53 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am talking about managing an asset that is coming off IR and had had three full healthy seasons in 8 years. 

They should have let him play his contract out and approach him at combine just like they did with Cogs when his extension was due. 

So its all good sign all players that are 30 plus in a violent position that hat had 3 healthy seasons to extensions with future years INJ Guarantees. Yep thats Smart 

Ahhh so got nothing to say??

what fact i am posting facts 

was he coming off IR?

how many seasons before extension did he play all 16?

did they not have a replacement they matched a RFA offer from another team to keep?

was he not already on contract for 2017?

Sorry but wasn’t Cogs a free agent and he signed his 3 year deal after his year was up?

apples and oranges. 

Granted this is an unexpected turn of events that won’t work well for the Bills and the Cap - but **** happens and not much to do here. 

I don’t think a 2 year $16m extension is anything to get overly dramatic about. 

Its not a 5 year 50M contract front loaded. 

It was horrendously bad luck. 

When was the last time a player signed a contract extension and 1/3 of the way through it a medical doctor told him he could never play football again??

6 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Sorry but wasn’t Cogs a free agent and he signed his 3 year deal after his year was up?

apples and oranges. 

Granted this is an unexpected turn of events that won’t work well for the Bills and the Cap - but **** happens and not much to do here. 

I don’t think a 2 year $16m extension is anything to get overly dramatic about. 

Its not a 5 year 50M contract front loaded. 

It was horrendously bad luck. 

When was the last time a player signed a contract extension and 1/3 of the way through it a medical doctor told him he could never play football again??

He was a UFA. He played his one year deal and was going to Market. The Market was guaged and he re-sign to a reasonable Contract for an older OL. 

Same approach should have been used here. And as a team where is YOUR protection in this contract. Dont you think a team should look and say well we would like to re-sign Eric however he is older coming off IR in one of the more violent positions on the football field. We should protect against that he might only play 1/3rd of this contract

Edited by MAJBobby

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So its Smart signing a over 30 year old Center that has had INJ history (9 year career and 4 years this year being one with all 16 games played) so in more than half of his career he has missed games due to INJ and extension that Guarantees his pay 2 years down the line for INJ?  Wow

Wow is the exact phrase I used after reading 9 pages of you whining and moaning about something you don't even have all of the facts on.  Wow.

1 hour ago, simool said:

Wow is the exact phrase I used after reading 9 pages of you whining and moaning about something you don't even have all of the facts on.  Wow.

I do have the facts. 

Was he under contract for 2017?

was he on IR in 2016?

was he only able to start 16 games in 3 or 8 seasons?

is he aging?

was there a specific rush to sign him in august?

was there fit questions with the system the Bills where trying to implement?

those are facts that should go into any Risk Reward decision for offering a contract. 

Was there ANY protections in this contract for the Team for career ending INJ?

how is the ROI on this contract at the end of the day?

15 hours ago, aristocrat said:

i believe wood said something like it was a long term degenerative issue. I thought guys got complete physicals before big contracts anyways?  

Perhaps he meant a long time degenerative issue going forward.  The injury seemed to occur over the course of the past season and will not get better enough for him to play.  Simple as that.  He didn't have the issue in prior physicals.  That's how football can work on one's body.  

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

He was a UFA. He played his one year deal and was going to Market. The Market was guaged and he re-sign to a reasonable Contract for an older OL. 

Same approach should have been used here. And as a team where is YOUR protection in this contract. Dont you think a team should look and say well we would like to re-sign Eric however he is older coming off IR in one of the more violent positions on the football field. We should protect against that he might only play 1/3rd of this contract

Right. He was on a prove it deal. Making $1M

And that in no way compares to Wood. If Cogs goes down in first year of deal it also isn’t pretty. 

They signed wood an extension because he has been a solid player and fully healed. 

No out - that I don’t understand

Edited by Bakin

So the two year extension for a nine year starting center was a bad decision, but not until he sustained a career ending neck injury? Some of these people kill me, always looking for something or someone to complain about. If EW wasn't resigned, these same people would be complaining about the Bills being too cheap and how we let that guy walk away. Maybe they should have built in some injury clause or protection for themselves, but lets all be realistic here.

Edited by PaulieYayo

15 minutes ago, PaulieYayo said:

So the two year extension for a nine year starting center was a bad decision, but not until he sustained a career ending neck injury? Some of these people kill me, always looking for something or someone to complain about. If EW wasn't resigned, these same people would be complaining about the Bills being too cheap and how we let that guy walk away. Maybe they should have built in some injury clause or protection for themselves, but lets all be realistic here.

No, the Bills should have waited until the 11th hour like they did with RI.  Because that always works.

Not to belabour the point but ..

lets assume the season had ended and Woodsy played all 16 games, 100% of the snaps, 4 of the last 5 seasons the entire season....as he did....

and this freak injury hadnt happened. 

Whats he worth on the open market. Or to the  Bills?

Easily an Alex Mack type of deal / 5 @ 45...

then what? 

Everyone would be screaming - gah we should have just extended him for 2 years to match up with Cogs and keep him with Glenn...

you just cant have it both ways. 

I wish Wood didn’t have to declare the end of his career this week and I’m certainly not thinking about the impact of the contract. This was purely a freak occurance and **** happens and you just try and sort it out. 

Reading into it as poor contract management rather than it being a rare incident is just complaining for the sake of complaining.  

Edited by Bakin