Best recovery in music history.

njbuff

2 hours ago, Rob's House said:

They never recovered from the loss of Steve Clark, IMO. They may have a guy to play the notes on tour, but the guitar riffs Clark came up with made them what they were. They haven't put out anything worthwhile since.

They sucked after High 'N Dry.

But I did get a chuckle recently when a board member thought that "Pour Some Sugar On Me" was "Awesome Sugar Honey" and questioned what it meant.  Either way that song was probably the peak of their sucktitude.

I do give them props for sticking with the drummer after the horrific accident. Happened at the height of their popularity and they all made it work.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:08 PM, Pete said:

how about Foo Fighters after Nirvana?

You beat me to this. I have been saying for years now.......who has had a better SECOND career, despite the fame and importance of their FIRST career? Dave Grohl was never the center of Nirvana but that band completely changed an era of society, let alone music. And now he's American rock's current godfather.

Metallica/Cliff Burton, I agree with the response to the original post. Nah, not quite important enough (RIP Cliff).

Pink Floyd: Syd Barrett in my opinion was not all that influential. Piper and Saucerful were extremely psychedelic and not at all what they became starting with Atom Heart Mother and moving into the great 4-album stretch. Stranded-on-an-island-one-record-only? Animals. (Yes, I didn't choose DSOTM.)

And back to AC/DC: Yes, I think I agree this is the most amazing one you can mention. Most people my age and younger only ever heard Back in Black on stations like 97 Rock. When I started to hear the OLDER stuff I remember thinking "Boy his voice sure did change for some reason." Little did I know......

The story goes that they were looking for a new lead singer in 1975, and Bon Scott walked in the door, shirtless, holding a beer. They hired him on the spot, no tryouts or anything.

High Voltage sits in my record crate; awesome album.

14 hours ago, Rob's House said:

They never recovered from the loss of Steve Clark, IMO. They may have a guy to play the notes on tour, but the guitar riffs Clark came up with made them what they were. They haven't put out anything worthwhile since.

It's funny you say this. I'm one of those rare breeds who actually still enjoys listening to AM/FM radio in the car.  I like the variety and surprises and I also like to challenge myself to figure out who an artist is.  Got stumped yesterday and it was some newer Def Leppard song that was just horrible.  Personally, I wasn't a big fan of much of their stuff after Pyromania, anyway, but I did like some tunes.  I didn't realize Clark was that influential when they wrote.  I know Campbell is a great guitar player (played for Whitesnake and others), but I totally get the "signature riff" thing.

23 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Add David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar to the list.

This might be worthy of its own thread.  I, alone, could talk about Van Halen for days.  

Van Halen redefined themselves as a band when they transitioned from Roth to Hagar.  I actually refused to listen to 5150 when it came out.  I was FURIOUS that DLR was gone and was like, "!@#$ Van Hagar ... I'm not listening."

Then I finally did and it blew me away.

We have two pizza joints in our town that are both legendary; The Harvest and The Talk of the Town.  Pizzas from each establishment are delicious and high quality.  But they don't taste the same.

That's DLR-VH and SH-VH.

21 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Kenney Jones replacing Keith Moon in The Who

John Goodman replacing John Belushi in the Blues Brothers

Sorry, Kenney replacing Moon was one of the worst moves ever, but it gave us 35 farewell tours. It wasn’t Joneses fault.

The best Who move was getting the kid to fill in on a night Moon totally obliterated himself and was unable to continue with a show. It probably would have killed 20 fans if they split up and injested what Moon and crew did before he collapsed.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Kenney Jones replacing Keith Moon in The Who

Nobody replaces Keith Moon - certainly not Kenney Jones. Kenny's a good drummer, but his style couldn't be less Moon-like.

In the 90s and beyond, they picked up Zak Starkey (Ringo Starr's son, and Keith Moon's godson). He's more of a Keith Moon-style drummer. Either way, I wouldn't call it a recovery. Their last really good studio album was Who Are You, Keith's last. Even though he was "Not to be Taken Away," he was taken anyway.

The post-Moon albums Face Dances and It's Hard have a handful of very good songs, but they aren't great albums collectively.

Edited by WhoTom

3 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

You beat me to this. I have been saying for years now.......who has had a better SECOND career, despite the fame and importance of their FIRST career? Dave Grohl was never the center of Nirvana but that band completely changed an era of society, let alone music. And now he's American rock's current godfather.

Metallica/Cliff Burton, I agree with the response to the original post. Nah, not quite important enough (RIP Cliff).

Pink Floyd: Syd Barrett in my opinion was not all that influential. Piper and Saucerful were extremely psychedelic and not at all what they became starting with Atom Heart Mother and moving into the great 4-album stretch. Stranded-on-an-island-one-record-only? Animals. (Yes, I didn't choose DSOTM.)

And back to AC/DC: Yes, I think I agree this is the most amazing one you can mention. Most people my age and younger only ever heard Back in Black on stations like 97 Rock. When I started to hear the OLDER stuff I remember thinking "Boy his voice sure did change for some reason." Little did I know......

The story goes that they were looking for a new lead singer in 1975, and Bon Scott walked in the door, shirtless, holding a beer. They hired him on the spot, no tryouts or anything.

High Voltage sits in my record crate; awesome album.

AC/DC Powerage is one of the most underrated albums.

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

This might be worthy of its own thread.  I, alone, could talk about Van Halen for days.  

Van Halen redefined themselves as a band when they transitioned from Roth to Hagar.  I actually refused to listen to 5150 when it came out.  I was FURIOUS that DLR was gone and was like, "!@#$ Van Hagar ... I'm not listening."

Then I finally did and it blew me away.

We have two pizza joints in our town that are both legendary; The Harvest and The Talk of the Town.  Pizzas from each establishment are delicious and high quality.  But they don't taste the same.

That's DLR-VH and SH-VH.

I have to admit that I never gave Van Hagar a chance. I wasn't happy either. The Red Rocker replacing David Lee Roth? C'mon man!  And everything I heard on the radio reinforced my prejudice. 

But I do like the pizza joint analogy. No doubt I was looking for the same product.