Offensive PI (rule change to consider)

2 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

It would actually make sense to me if all offensive penalties that occur on a live play result in a loss of down, with the logic being that you shouldn't get a re-do for breaking the rules. Exception would be a downfield spot foul where the spot after the penalty still would've been enough for a 1st on the play. Pre snap penalties would not result in a loss of down because the down hasn't happened yet when the foul occurs. 

Opposing team can decline the penalty.

2 hours ago, cba fan said:

Since defensive holding regardless if it is 1st and 10 or 3rd and 50 or 3rd and 1 etc etc............is 5 yds and automatic first down.

Why is not offensive holding downfield(also called illegal block, illegal pick).......5 yd penalty and automatic 4th down for offense?

So if the penalty happens on 1st down, the team would then have to punt (or face a 4th and 15)?

Edited by Mr. WEO

They could fix most of the pass interference penalties by only allowing refs in a booth upstairs to call it.   There should be at least 2 refs in the booth upstairs making those calls.

That resolves the issue with receivers and DB's complaining to the refs about the calls.    They would have to look up at the booth to complain if that is where the guy is who is calling it.

The refs should also provide proof of the penalty by showing it on the Jumbotron/television by circling what the infraction is at the time it happens - a grasped jersey, a hand to the face, and arm being held down, etc.      

All of a sudden, all of the calls that the fans on television see - those would get called.   And the ones you can't see, would be non-calls.

I think it would work better and remove all personal contact between the receivers/defensive backs and the guys actually calling those penalties.

The truth is, with all the cameras and the high resolution, sometimes the fans see things a lot clearer and better than the referees do.

They could do it with offensive line holding calls also.

Edited by PolishDave

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

So if the penalty happens on 1st down, the team would then have to punt (or face a 4th and 15)?

Yes. Would apply same logic that a db hold would give a team automatic 1st down.

Not fair that a 3rd and 40 gets a first down on a hold 5 yrds from line of scrimmage. 

Edited by cba fan

I always thought that the walk off should equal the distance past the line where the offensive pass interference occurred.  So if the interference occurred 12 yards downfield, then the offense should be marched back 12 yards.  The offense would not lose a down unless the interference was less than 10 yards downfield.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

If anything, the penalties need to be simpler and, as someone else already pointed out, they need to be called.

Furthermore, penalties need to be called primarily (if not only) when they actually affect a play.

If someone puts his hands in someone's face and the play is on the other side of the field, why the !@#$ call it? 

This is a major topic of discussion among officials.  I officiate in California and this is one of the hardest things to get inexperienced officials to understand.  Too many want everyone to know they are there and that they are watching infractions, but some lack the judgement and patience to wait to see if the foul mattered.

I get frustrated watching NFL officials make calls that I know would not be supported in the meetings I attend.  What I look for is how fast the flag came out after the "infraction."  Quick flags are a bad sign. 

See the foul. 

Make sure the foul is in the area of the play/ball. 

Ensure the foul led to an actual gain by the team that fouled.

THEN throw the flag.

The one that used to fool me was block in the back on kickoffs.  I would see the block lining up, say to myself, "don't do it," then throw the flag as soon as I saw the contact.  Unfortunately, the player who was blocked stumbled toward the returner and made the tackle.  That happened twice during the same season.  That really taught me how to slow down.

Ambition some times gets in the way of judgement and patience.

Loss of down is too harsh a punishment for something half the receivers in the league do and try to find ways to get away with. If I'm not mistaken there are only 2 penalties that require a loss of down and those are both related to passing: passing beyond the line of scrimmage and intentional grounding. I'd argue that grounding is the only one that should carry that penalty because it's an attempt to avoid a negative play earned by the other team by breaking the rules.    

My biggest problem with the rules isn't their severity, it's the subjective application. If they wanted an accurate measurement they could just chip the balls like they do in soccer and half of the goal line fuss wouldn't matter, you could tell if the ball broke the plane of the end zone and the exact time it did and just check the tape to make sure the runner wasn't down or out of bounds at that precise moment. You could have pinpoint precision as to where to spot the ball and wouldn't need the chains. But the NFL doesn't want that because it is different from what we're used to. Until then you're always going to have what people perceive as unfair applications of the rules. A rule as severe as a loss of down in a situation like a 3rd and goal takes away from the game. You want people to lose their minds? Call that penalty in the waning moments in a game that matters and watch fans riot when they see both players were handfighting.