QB Film Room: Josh Allen

Buffalo716

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

This is true.. but he also came in with lots of question marks about his accuracy just the same. and his 1st 2 years he had less than 100 attempts.  His college game plan was divide the field in half.. SO EJ's ability to progress through full reads was a huge unknown since he was never required to do it

You will find a good amount of 60 + % career college passers not make it in the NFL. You will be EXTREMELY HARD PRESSED to find any college QB whom had a sub 60% completion pct... do much of anything at the pro level...

As it stands right now I think Allen's pro career will be similar to Manuels.

maybe Allen breaks the trend but if your a gambling man the odds are greatly stacked against this

BUT this part of the quote below is exactly what they used to sell EJ

What I am going to say with these stats is that Allen is a little inaccurate. His inaccuracy is a result of inconsistent mechanics. However, he is also one of the least developed big time QB prospects we have seen. He is not a kid that has been working on his mechanics since middle school and just can’t get it. He is a kid who grew up on a farm, and played baseball when football was over. Once he gets real coaching around how to be a QB, he will become more consistent and will become more accurate. The question becomes do we fans have the stomach to wait for him, and most fans don’t and I don’t blame them. I still think he can have some success playing the way he does while learning how to be a better QB.

Like all draft prospects, we will see!

I would 100% feel more confident with Allen at Qb week 1 than I would with Baker Mayfield week 1.  Allen has made more pro level passes in his bowl game than Mayfield made his whole career.  Looking at a guy coming out with similar arm talent and surrounding casts.  Farve, Marino and Cutler all have similar completition %.  Its hard to compare his stats nowadays with so many spread qbs and offenses.  Those qbs are not as accurate as their % says.  They pass in bigger windows and are asked to make easier throws that are far and few between in the NFL.  I like the moxy on the field of Allen and his ability to make throws no one else can.  If Im a great coach I can teach him the nuances.  I can't teach the positives that Allen has.  He can pin point a skinny post over a linebaker, before the saftey and inside the corner.  

15 hours ago, LEBills said:

What I am going to say with these stats is that Allen is a little inaccurate. His inaccuracy is a result of inconsistent mechanics. However, he is also one of the least developed big time QB prospects we have seen. He is not a kid that has been working on his mechanics since middle school and just can’t get it. He is a kid who grew up on a farm, and played baseball when football was over. Once he gets real coaching around how to be a QB, he will become more consistent and will become more accurate. The question becomes do we fans have the stomach to wait for him, and most fans don’t and I don’t blame them. I still think he can have some success playing the way he does while learning how to be a better QB.

Like all draft prospects, we will see!

Disagree on that.. If you have accuracy and need to hone it in then you can work on the mechanics but if you don't have the accuracy to begin with it ain't happening IMO

But what do I know, I'm just a message board GM.. There is always an anomaly eventually....

On 1/12/2018 at 8:36 AM, ddaryl said:

Disagree on that.. If you have accuracy and need to hone it in then you can work on the mechanics but if you don't have the accuracy to begin with it ain't happening IMO

But what do I know, I'm just a message board GM.. There is always an anomaly eventually....

So, which came first, the bad mechanics or the inaccuracy?  

I am not enthusiastic about bringing in a project with great raw talent that will take years to develop.  

Went back and re-watched every throw from three games for each of the top rated passers in this years draft, including Allen.  Walked away with the same impression I had of him after watching three games earlier in the season.   He may have the best arm I have ever seen, but with that being said I think he is the kind of Quarterback who will be drafted on potential alone, and really shouldn't be picked before the third round.   Even considering the lack of talent around him he has gigantic meltdowns during games and doesn't do a good job of bouncing back from them.  Even his "most impressive" game of the season against Central Michigan was a bit of a misnomer.   Feel like he is a project quarterback and I truly hope the Bills dont consider him in the first round.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Went back and re-watched every throw from three games for each of the top rated passers in this years draft, including Allen.  Walked away with the same impression I had of him after watching three games earlier in the season.   He may have the best arm I have ever seen, but with that being said I think he is the kind of Quarterback who will be drafted on potential alone, and really shouldn't be picked before the third round.   Even considering the lack of talent around him he has gigantic meltdowns during games and doesn't do a good job of bouncing back from them.  Even his "most impressive" game of the season against Central Michigan was a bit of a misnomer.   Feel like he is a project quarterback and I truly hope the Bills dont consider him in the first round.

He is definitely going in round 1 whether he should or shouldn't 

as for best arm ever... that is a bit hyperbole 

arm talent is just as much accuracy and touch as it is strength and he lacks very much in the touch category and a bit in the accuracy category so I wouldn't call it the best arm I've ever seen . Not at all . 

It it is very strong no doubt and he makes some wow throws for sure

Edited by Buffalo716

The problem with a prospect like Josh Allen in the top of the first round is teams there typically need a QB, and can't afford to draft a player in the first round only to have him sit for a couple years.  A QB like Allen is really a better fit for a team like New Orleans or (cough, cough) New England Patriots, but those teams will never get a crack at him.  Thank goodness in the case of the Patriots.

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He is definitely going in round 1 whether he should or shouldn't 

arm talent is just as much accuracy and touch as it is strength and he lacks very much in the touch category and a bit in the accuracy category so I wouldn't call it the best arm I've ever seen . Not at all . 

It it is very strong no doubt and he makes some wow throws for sure

Could be the next Jay Cutler

I don't understand the fuss over this guy.  Did we trade in game tape for a measuring tape?  He completed 56% of his passes in the Mountain West for G-d sake.  In his games against a power 5 team he had 1 TD and 8 INTs.  Do pro scouts think he will see easier defenses in the NFL? 

If you could get him in the 3rd or 4th round as a project, sure.  As a top ten pick as many people think he will be, I am baffled. 

I remember another big strong QB that had much better numbers than Allen in college, playing in the SEC no less.  His name was Jamarcus Russell.  While that's probably not a fair comparison, if both came out the same year there is no way Allen would have gone ahead of Russell.  Just sayin!

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's a realistic comparison 

How's Mayfield coming?

I keep hearing ideas that he is not a McDermott guy because of his attitude, but I'm not buying it. Aside from the DUI his other transgressions came from his fiery competitiveness, which to me would be exactly what McD wants.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

How's Mayfield coming?

I keep hearing ideas that he is not a McDermott guy because of his attitude, but I'm not buying it. Aside from the DUI his other transgressions came from his fiery competitiveness, which to me would be exactly what McD wants.

Its good. I am pretty much finished with Baker and Darnold I wasn't sure who to post first.

i will go with Baker then.

I will probably post it tomorrow sometime because I pride myself in my amount of info so all my reports are fairly long lol I'm too tired to type it up tonight lol

• Like (+1) 1

Looking forward to the Baker Mayfield write up.  He is the opposite end of the spectrum on trading game tape for a measuring tape.  A LOT of people are discounting him because of his height.  They put Allen ahead of Mayfield on the basis of a tape measure.  Look at the film.  I have heard a hundred times, the tape don't lie.

Can't wait to read what you think.

20 minutes ago, CritMark said:

Looking forward to the Baker Mayfield write up.  He is the opposite end of the spectrum on trading game tape for a measuring tape.  A LOT of people are discounting him because of his height.  They put Allen ahead of Mayfield on the basis of a tape measure.  Look at the film.  I have heard a hundred times, the tape don't lie.

Well of course I will publish my scouting report here but for a quick spoiler yes he is ahead of Allen on my big board by quite a bit

As of today they aren't close as QBs. Baker is better hands down in his development 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CritMark said:

I'm hoping he falls because of his height and lands with us.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I'm hoping he falls because of his height and lands with us.

I don't see any way that happens.  From my count, here are the QB needy teams as well as a few that rumors have them moving on from their incumbent.  I added my perceived likelihood they take a QB.  In a few cases I made a distinction between taking a QB and taking Mayfield specifically if he is on the board.

1 & 4 - Cleveland - There is no way they don't take a QB with one of these two picks.  Wait, we're talking about Cleveland! QB = 100%

2 - NY Giants - Now would be the perfect time for them to take a QB to sit behind Eli for 1 year.  QB = 99%

5 - Denver - Their QB situation is a mess. I think they are in the market but think Elway's first option is free agency.  Even with that, taking a longer term QB is a possibility. QB = 75%

6. NY Jets - If Denver passes on a QB I expect to see the Jets take the best of the rest. QB = 60%, Mayfield = 75%

11. Miami - the fans are growing tired of Tannehill.  They have seen enough to know he is not getting them to the SB.  QB = 50%, Mayfield = 75%

12. Cincinnati - Same as Miami bur insert Dalton for Tannehill. QB = 50%, Mayfield = 75%

15. Arizona - they have NO QB.  Even if they pick one up in free agency I would expect them to take one here if one of the top five are on the board. QB = 75%

17. LA Chargers - Not necessarily a needy team, but if Mayfield is on the board, I think they would grab him. QB = 25%, Mayfield = 75%

That is a long gauntlet to run in the hopes of getting Mayfield to fall to 21. So the question is, would they bundle the two picks to move up to take a QB of their liking, whoever that may be?

21 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ryan Mallet had the strongest arm I can remember seeing.  It was insane how quickly he could release a 40-50 yard dart.  Of course he was also a statue.

As previously stated, Russell had a cannon too.  QB's like Allen aren't THAT rare, and they usually just don't work out. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.