Bill's Cap Casualties Discussion

5 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Lorax is 3 mil on an expiring deal - i'd keep him even if he just played teams and depth.  He's a locker room leader and was a special teams ace before the last 2 years.

Half a mil signing bonus - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lorenzo-alexander-2773/ 

Thanks.  So he saves $2.9m on the cap.  I'm cutting him at that price.  I thought he played well on Sunday against a team who hardly threw it.  Other than that he has been awful all year.  I get the leadership angle... but I'd rather give Kyle $3m to play 1 more year as a rotational DT and locker room guy than pay $3m for a guy I can't put on the field on defense.  

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Thanks.  So he saves $2.9m on the cap.  I'm cutting him at that price.  I thought he played well on Sunday against a team who hardly threw it.  Other than that he has been awful all year.  I get the leadership angle... but I'd rather give Kyle $3m to play 1 more year as a rotational DT and locker room guy than pay $3m for a guy I can't put on the field on defense.  

I dunno - we have cap space and like terrible depth regarding pass rushers and LBs. 

I wouldn't cut him until the depth charts are more solidified - so basically i bring him to camp and give him a chance to keep his job.

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I dunno - we have cap space and like terrible depth regarding pass rushers and LBs. 

I wouldn't cut him until the depth charts are more solidified - so basically i bring him to camp and give him a chance to keep his job.

I don't want him on the field on defense next year at all.  He was our worst starter in 2017.  Worse than Jordan Mills, Vlad Ducasse, Ramon Humber, Adolphus Washington.... even when they started using him more as a rush end in sub packages he was poor.  2016 was a career year that was a total one off.  Not a fluke as such.... but not repeatable.  

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't want him on the field on defense next year at all.  He was our worst starter in 2017.  Worse than Jordan Mills, Vlad Ducasse, Ramon Humber, Adolphus Washington.... even when they started using him more as a rush end in sub packages he was poor.  2016 was a career year that was a total one off.  Not a fluke as such.... but not repeatable.  

Right - but I prefer having to beat someone out for a job.  If the new guy is better than him and wants his job, prove it on the field.

There's no bonus, or guarantee tied to the contract - so we can cut him any time before the season starts.  I'd bring him to camp.  Especially if KW retires.

Edited by dneveu

Just now, dneveu said:

Right - but I prefer having to beat someone out for a job.  If the new guy is better than him and wants his job, prove it on the field.

But for the $3m..... nah... he doesn't justify that for me.  I do think his fate is likely linked to Kyle though.  If Kyle is back I think Alexander is cut.  If Kyle retires they likely keep Lorax.  

Tyrod Taylor, Tate, Logan Thomas, Wright, they will try and Trade Glenn. No way they release Clay or McCoy. You get a rookie QB you need a workhorse RB and a TE that can help in both pass and blocking. Clay and McCoy are safe

Icognito may be released depending on how true his racial slurs are and if it really did happen. 

Edited by Captainrc4

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That is all fine except, and I know this will not go down well with the "RBs are a dime a dozen" crowd, McDermott and Beane come from a place that has used resources on running backs. DeAngelo Williams and then Jonathan Stewart have been among the most highest paid backs in the league during Beane's tenure at Carolina and the  they just spent a 1st round pick on one last year. 

I don't believe that this Bills regime subscribes to the dime a dozen theory! 

This is backwards. Hurney was in charge of giving away those two RB contracts which by all accounts strapped the team who then brought in Gettleman to fix the situation, ie dropping Williams and forcing Stewart to renegotiate. Beane is a Gettleman guy who's learned his lesson and I feel very confident saying he's definitely NOT going to be dealing with RBs how Carolina once did with Double Trouble. 

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

This is backwards. Hurney was in charge of giving away those two RB contracts which by all accounts strapped the team who then brought in Gettleman to fix the situation, ie dropping Williams and forcing Stewart to renegotiate. Beane is a Gettleman guy who's learned his lesson and I feel very confident saying he's definitely NOT going to be dealing with RBs how Carolina once did with Double Trouble. 

Beane grew up under Hurney. He has worked under Gettleman too.... but Gettleman spent a 1st on a scat back in April. Carolina values running backs. I am extremely doubtful that Beane is a dime a dozen believer. 

On 1/9/2018 at 2:45 PM, GoBills808 said:

Darkhorse is McCoy IMO.

We have zero offense without him, so this dark horse is a black hole.  

Outgoing

Humber - Cheap depth

Richard?  NFW, our best OL by FAR, pay the man

PB - No way we keep him at the number he'll want as NFL tackles leader

Tolbert - Don't let the door hitya...

KW? - NFW, our best DL by FAR, pay the man if he wants to play

Shareece - Cheap depth

Tate - We need a better PR/KR, bye

Joe Webb - Cheap depth, ST'er?

Leonard Johnson - Solid CB, keep him for the right price

Thornton - GAN

Taiwan Jones - GAN

Shamarko Thomas - GAN

Travaris Cadet - depends on health, if ankle healed, cheap depth, otherwise GAN

Deonte Thompson - GAN, playoff game against Jax was a !@#$ing disaster

EJ Gaines - Pyay thyat myan hyis myoney

Seantrel Henderson - Cheap depth if healthy, otherwise GAN

On 1/9/2018 at 7:27 PM, BigBuff423 said:

Again, I disagree - in a year where the roster gets another overhaul, having a 3rd 5th round pick means you have more capital to move in other rounds, ala 3rd and 5th for a low 2nd, etc. but even if the team gains a 5th and just uses it as is, this roster needs depth EVERYWHERE. And a 5th round pick could be a valued asset like Karlos Williams or Kyle Williams or a WR / ST guy...point being, a 5th round pick has value and can add to the youth movement while using that $3.7 million toward ANOTHER player such as a Paul Richardson type of Offensive line depth...

I do not get this. We have issues with depth, so we are going to create more holes at starting positions. It’s constant moves like these that have already kept the Bills in futility for 17 years.

We need major help on the right side of the OL. Our starting LT was supposed to be our RT. So cut/trade our LT to use said draft capital/money on a new LT or RT? Add Richie and Wood to the discussion (from some posters)and we now need a LG, C, RG, and RT. But at least we have mobility to package picks? 

Shady, we are !@#$ed if this happens.

The entire DL is an issue. So cut the only serviceable pass rusher we have, and our second best pass rusher. That means via draft and free agency we need 4 new starters on the DL?

CB1/2 depending on where you put Gaines. There was “some security” there with Roby, but he’s gone via trade. Now we have to use said draft pick to find his possible replacement? 

Clay is a tremendous safety valve for any new QB. Shouldn’t go.

The entire LB group needs an upgrade.

QB, we all know something is changing.

Chip Kelly thought he was the smartest guy in the room and it got him canned. You can’t decimate a roster and expect to be good. We have very serious concerns about a ton of positional groups as well as depth. Some created by this regime and prior. Continuing that trend will only point downward. We simply can’t address all of the above in a way that upgrades the roster in a single offseason, sorry. “Draft mobility” doesn’t make up for losing 14 of our starters. Those are the names being listed in this thread. 

• Like (+1) 1