I hope someone from the media asks McDermott why...

KDS73

lol at all the "well golly gee, the defense only gave up 10 points" type responses.  Yep. And now we have all offseason to wonder if Jax would've scored any points at all if McDermott had taken away the one thing Bortles was managing to do well today.  At the very least, it would've given our offense more chances to put some points on the board instead of standing on the sideline watching Bortles run for another first down. 

Hey, I get it.  McDermott is the first coach to lead this team to the playoffs in forever, and a lot of you feel compelled to make excuses for him because of that.  But he deserves to take some heat for this one.  If you put a spy on Bortles and he somehow, by the grace of God, finds a way to beat you with his arm, then so be it.  That's acceptable.  But when the bad Bortles shows up and you do nothing to take away the only thing he can do to beat you, that's unacceptable.  Plain and simple.  

Edited by KDS73
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KDS73 said:

lol at all the "well golly gee, the defense only gave up 10 points" type responses.  Yep. And now we have all offseason to wonder if Jax would've scored any points at all if McDermott had taken away the one thing Bortles was managing to do well today.  At the very least, it would've given our offense more chances to put some points on the board instead of standing on the sideline watching Bortles run for another first down. 

Hey, I get it.  McDermott is the first coach to lead this team to the playoffs in forever, and a lot of you feel compelled to make excuses for him because of that.  But he deserves to take some heat for this one.  If you put a spy on Bortles and he somehow, by the grace of God, finds a way to beat you with his arm, then so be it.  That's acceptable.  But when the bad Bortles shows up and you do nothing to take away the only thing he can do to beat you, that's unacceptable.  Plain and simple.  

Okay you win.    We shoulda pitched a shutout and won 3-0. 

Congrats for being right. 

14 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

That’s not my damned opinion. It’s a fact.

You put a spy on Bortles and something else may open on the field.

Is that a hard concept to freaking grasp? I guess for some it is.

To even question the defensive game plan, IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, is idiotic.

There is one FACT. We lost the game.  Not sure how you can say that we did the right thing by not spying a qb that had more rushing yards than passing and led both scoring drives with his feet.....and feet only.  Sure, something else may have been open....but that means he has to throw the ball.  Did you watch him throw the ball today? He was GOD AWFUL.  Did you see him run the ball today?  Yeah, he ran it down our throats.  He’s a crappy qb that can throw lots of picks......yet we decide to make him a running back instead of making him throw the interceptions that he often throws.  You’re entitled to your opinion.  But that what it is.  Opinion.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You put a spy on him, you give him more time in the pocket and an opportunity to find the open man. Unlike Tyrod, Bortles has proven that he can beat you through the air sometimes. The defense yielded 10 points on the road in the playoffs. Bortles running for 80 yards was not the difference in the game. 

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Exactly!! All these people saying that not spying the QB wasn't relevant are missing the point hugely. If they had adjusted and spied Bortles, he doesn't get those first downs and they don't get ANY points. So yeah giving up 10pts is great, but giving up ZERO pts is considerably better when your team cannot get anything done on offense. Also Spying Bortles  would have forced him into his usual bad decisions and he might have actually thrown some INTS, which for us was one of the keys to victory today and all year. 

Who would spy him?  No linebacker on the field today is fast enough.

5 minutes ago, Luka said:

You put a spy on him, you give him more time in the pocket and an opportunity to find the open man. Unlike Tyrod, Bortles has proven that he can beat you through the air sometimes. The defense yielded 10 points on the road in the playoffs. Bortles running for 80 yards was not the difference in the game. 

It was their only offense the entire game.  All 10 points because of his legs.  Sure, our pass d was great but we didn’t get the one thing we need most. A turnover.  Bortles running for 1st downs = bortles not throwing picks.  

I get what you guys are saying but other than playing great defense (which we already knew that they had), bortles running the ball was the only thing they did well.  I would’ve rather taken away his legs (after he was clearly looking to use them) and made him beat us with his arm.  Using his arm, we could’ve actually put up points.  He throws lots of picks.  

1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Humber is fast enough. No question

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

It was their only offense the entire game.  All 10 points because of his legs.  Sure, our pass d was great but we didn’t get the one thing we need most. A turnover.  Bortles running for 1st downs = bortles not throwing picks.  

I get what you guys are saying but other than playing great defense (which we already knew that they had), bortles running the ball was the only thing they did well.  I would’ve rather taken away his legs (after he was clearly looking to use them) and made him beat us with his arm.  Using his arm, we could’ve actually put up points.  He throws lots of picks.  

Sorry but I'll take Bortles running for his life over Bortles passing all over the field. He starts throwing, we start playing that soft zone and then Fournette starts running all over us. The gameplan was perfect, you can't expect a better performance from the defense than what you got today. The offense sucked, just like it sucked against Carolina earlier in the year, losing 9-3.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Humber is fast enough. No question

Maybe, who covers Lewis then?  Putting Hyde on Lewis?  Who is over top of Lee to keep them from getting toasted?  I don't think they have the talent to make it work.  Spying became a big thing with Mike vick.  The best at it was Brooks in Tampa.  Stacked d and the man could really run.

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

Sorry but I'll take Bortles running for his life over Bortles passing all over the field. He starts throwing, we start playing that soft zone and then Fournette starts running all over us. The gameplan was perfect, you can't expect a better performance from the defense than what you got today. The offense sucked, just like it sucked against Carolina earlier in the year, losing 9-3.

Or he starts throwing picks and we score one TD, instead of none.  We knew going in that we needed turnovers.  Allowing him to run for first down after first down ruined any chance of a pick.  Our defense was our best opportunity to score (or put us into scoring position).  It’s always easier to say these things in hindsight of of course, but we lost when we could’ve won.  Doing something different may have led to a win.  

To say say that we couldn’t have played better on D is a farce.  We played against a pick happy qb and didn’t get a pick. Zero turnovers.  Didn’t get a turnover. The jags were undefeated when he doesn’t turn it over.  And now they remain undefeated.  The D played well, but not well enough.  The Jacksonville D played well enough. 

14 minutes ago, Chimp said:

So you don't even try??

9 minutes ago, Luka said:

You've obviously not watched too many Jags games this year, he's a much better runner than passer. Somehow in their prep for Bortles last week the Bills didn't clue into what Lebeau and the Titans did to him last Sunday. They forced him to pass and prevented him from running. The result? 15/34 no TDs and 2 INTS

Edited by Livinginthepast

1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Maybe, who covers Lewis then?  Putting Hyde on Lewis?  Who is over top of Lee to keep them from getting toasted?  I don't think they have the talent to make it work.  Spying became a big thing with Mike vick.  The best at it was Brooks in Tampa.  Stacked d and the man could really run.

You asked a question I answered it.  We didn’t spy.  We lost.  There’s no way to go back and see what would’ve happened if we did, but I know what happened when we didn’t. We gave up 10 points because he ran for 1st down after 1st down.  That was their entire offense.

Or he starts throwing picks and we score one TD, instead of none.  We knew going in that we needed turnovers.  Allowing him to run for first down after first down ruined any chance of a pick.  Our defense was our best opportunity to score (or put us into scoring position).  It’s always easier to say these things in hindsight of of course, but we lost when we could’ve won.  Doing something different may have led to a win.  

To say say that we couldn’t have played better on D is a farce.  We played against a pick happy qb and didn’t get a pick. Zero turnovers.  Didn’t get a turnover. The jags were undefeated when he doesn’t turn it over.  And now they remain undefeated.  The D played well, but not well enough.  The Jacksonville D played well enough. 

Turnovers are a luck thing, not a skill thing. Otherwise every team would have multiple turnovers a game. You are assuming he throws picks against us but maybe he doesn't. Then what?

The offense sucks. Too many games with 3 points this year. No other team would be talking about "Bortles beat us with his legs." They would've won the game only allowing 10 points.

You asked a question I answered it.  We didn’t spy.  We lost.  There’s no way to go back and see what would’ve happened if we did, but I know what happened when we didn’t. We gave up 10 points because he ran for 1st down after 1st down.  That was their entire offense.

I asked a practical question.  You asked a general question. Don't take this as me being a jerk, I don't intend to be.  I just can't believe an nfl coach wouldn't consider a spy.  Chances are good they thought through it and must have had a reason to not spy him.

39 minutes ago, Luka said:

Turnovers are a luck thing, not a skill thing. Otherwise every team would have multiple turnovers a game. You are assuming he throws picks against us but maybe he doesn't. Then what?

The offense sucks. Too many games with 3 points this year. No other team would be talking about "Bortles beat us with his legs." They would've won the game only allowing 10 points.

We saw what happens.  We lose.  We lost.  Yes, the offense sucks.  Which is why we couldn’t afford to give up 10 points

39 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I asked a practical question.  You asked a general question. Don't take this as me being a jerk, I don't intend to be.  I just can't believe an nfl coach wouldn't consider a spy.  Chances are good they thought through it and must have had a reason to not spy him.

True that.  I can’t believe we didn’t spy either, especially after the 3rd 1st down run