Clear and obvious administration suggestion

JAX

It seems like the replay guys are examining the play multiple times from multiple angles to make their decision.  This seems inconsistent with the standard which is designed to overturn the game officials  call only if the call was clearly a mistake.  Why not allow them only one view per a angle ?  If its not a clear and obvious mistake after this so be it, the play stands.

Even the arrogant NFL must be sensitive to the outrage around the league.  Can hardly enjoy big plays, always waiting on the flag or replay.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JAX said:

It seems like the replay guys are examining the play multiple times from multiple angles to make their decision.  This seems inconsistent with the standard which is designed to overturn the game officials  call only if the call was clearly a mistake.  Why not allow them only one view per a angle ?  If its not a clear and obvious mistake after this so be it, the play stands.

Even the arrogant NFL must be sensitive to the outrage around the league.  Can hardly enjoy big plays, always waiting on the flag or replay.

That would completely defeat the goal of instant replay, which is to see if the call on the field was the correct call.  All of the recent "what is a catch" aside (which is a rule/definition problem, not a replay problem), wouldn't you want them to have every available view to make a more accurate call?

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That would completely defeat the goal of instant replay, which is to see if the call on the field was the correct call.  All of the recent "what is a catch" aside (which is a rule/definition problem, not a replay problem), wouldn't you want them to have every available view to make a more accurate call?

As you know, I hate replay, want it all to go away. Having said that, my next biggest issue is different stadiums have different cameras. angles, and the number of cameras depending on the game. Not fair for any team.

15 minutes ago, JAX said:

...leave the damn decision on the field among officials and referee using instant replay......no way some suit in NYC should be making the call......

Old AFL Guy has it right, go back to what the system was 30 years ago, let the refs call it on the field and it stands, just like an ump calling balls and strikes in baseball.

Everyone "knows" what a catch is at every level, everyone knows Kelvin B caught a TD pass, everyone knows the Pitt TE caught the game winner last week but both were called back due to micro-minutia decisions by instant replay.

The NFL is in serious decline in populatory for multiple reasons, this idiocy about what is a catch is just irritating, frustrating and is ruining any intergrity this game has left.

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

As you know, I hate replay, want it all to go away. Having said that, my next biggest issue is different stadiums have different cameras. angles, and the number of cameras depending on the game. Not fair for any team.

It's the network that brings the cameras to the stadiums and set everything up so they are pretty much going to set it up the same in every stadium as much as possible.  The available angles would be pretty standard every venue.  

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Old AFL Guy has it right, go back to what the system was 30 years ago, let the refs call it on the field and it stands, just like an ump calling balls and strikes in baseball.

Everyone "knows" what a catch is at every level, everyone knows Kelvin B caught a TD pass, everyone knows the Pitt TE caught the game winner last week but both were called back due to micro-minutia decisions by instant replay.

The NFL is in serious decline in populatory for multiple reasons, this idiocy about what is a catch is just irritating, frustrating and is ruining any intergrity this game has left.

I don't think this is a good idea.  Can you imagine how crazy fans would be going on nearly every play when they see the replay at home of every obviously blown call??

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

It's the network that brings the cameras to the stadiums and set everything up so they are pretty much going to set it up the same in every stadium as much as possible.  The available angles would be pretty standard every venue.  

No way does CBS have as many cameras at 1 PM Bills-Dolphins game as 4 PM Pats-Steelers, not to mention primetime games Just the way it is.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Don’t think that’s true—

Sunday night football vs the browns-bengals at 1pm being shown only regional get different coverage. The nfl mandates a minimum standard but premium games get more cameras, better operators etc....

im not sure it upsets me but there have been times I’ve thought “this one might play out different if the networks thought the ratings were going to be better” when they have gone to replay 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't think this is a good idea.  Can you imagine how crazy fans would be going on nearly every play when they see the replay at home of every obviously blown call??

Yes I can totally imagine it because i recall the game BEFORE all this replay/challenge non-sense...the game was quicker, fairer and fans complained less.

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes I can totally imagine it because i recall the game BEFORE all this replay/challenge non-sense...the game was quicker, fairer and fans complained less.

To be fair it also corresponds to the explosion of 24 hour coverage, huge message boards, adding more (and hd) cameras, and an explosion in the number of fans.

if you logged of this site, would your perception of fans complaining change drastically too? I know mine would if I just talked to a handful of locals in person occasionally as opposed to all the coverage I seek out 

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

No way does CBS have as many cameras at 1 PM Bills-Dolphins game as 4 PM Pats-Steelers, not to mention primetime games Just the way it is.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Don’t think that’s true—

Sunday night football vs the browns-bengals at 1pm being shown only regional get different coverage. The nfl mandates a minimum standard but premium games get more cameras, better operators etc....

im not sure it upsets me but there have been times I’ve thought “this one might play out different if the networks thought the ratings were going to be better” when they have gone to replay 

I don't know exactly how many (fewer) the non-nationally televised games would have (I bet the Bills game in Foxboro had a full compliment), but the point is that the review refs are not going to be lacking in angles to review anywhere.  That's not the problem anyway--it is the rule as to what a catch is and how the review ref has to interpret that.  

The problem is not instant replay, it is the rule book.  Just make it simple--catch, two feet in bounds (break the plane)--it's a catch.

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That was over 30 years ago.  People used to be fine with pulling over to use pay phones when they just had to make a phone call back then as well.  

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Try to be more predictable Mr. Patriot.

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

....STOP trying to remove the human element from a game played by humans......Jesus, why not eliminate all on field officials and put 30 azzclowns in the press box with monitors to make every call if technology is IMPROVING the game?....congratulations on your extension Commish........keep screwing up the product....

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair it also corresponds to the explosion of 24 hour coverage, huge message boards, adding more (and hd) cameras, and an explosion in the number of fans.

if you logged of this site, would your perception of fans complaining change drastically too? I know mine would if I just talked to a handful of locals in person occasionally as opposed to all the coverage I seek out 

True but it doesnt change the fact that this system is an abject failure and it seems to only be getting worse, they more they try to "fid it" the worse it gets.

Tim Graham sums it up perfectly, "Common sense has evaporated from the replays process, wiping out compelling plays." The system is broken, there are no tweeks to salvage it, the more they try to define what a catch is the worse it gets.  Letting the officials in NY has failed as well yesterday. Give it up, go back to officials on the field the first time and a thing called common sense.

True but it doesnt change the fact that this system is an abject failure and it seems to only be getting worse, they more they try to "fid it" the worse it gets.

Tim Graham sums it up perfectly, "Common sense has evaporated from the replays process, wiping out compelling plays." The system is broken, there are no tweeks to salvage it, the more they try to define what a catch is the worse it gets.  Letting the officials in NY has failed as well yesterday. Give it up, go back to officials on the field the first time and a thing called common sense.

If the refs had initially called it an incomplete pass instead of a catch- (and had no instant replay)--everyone on this board would have been screaming after they saw the replay on TV at home.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't know exactly how many (fewer) the non-nationally televised games would have (I bet the Bills game in Foxboro had a full compliment), but the point is that the review refs are not going to be lacking in angles to review anywhere.  That's not the problem anyway--it is the rule as to what a catch is and how the review ref has to interpret that.  

The problem is not instant replay, it is the rule book.  Just make it simple--catch, two feet in bounds (break the plane)--it's a catch.

That was over 30 years ago.  People used to be fine with pulling over to use pay phones when they just had to make a phone call back then as well.  

Your phone technology analogy to football is ridiculous, the actual game of football really hasnt changed that much, we all "know" what a catch is when we see it but not in today's NFL.  

Your phone technology analogy to football is ridiculous, the actual game of football really hasnt changed that much, we all "know" what a catch is when we see it but not in today's NFL.  

The point was that fans would not be satisfied with your solution---unless you are also suggesting that networks eliminate instant replay completely--form the telecast as well

We would be exactly where we are right now----"these refs suck!--how did they not see (what I just saw on replay) that??!!!!!"

Edited by Mr. WEO