Flying the Bills Flag

Shaw66

I live in Connecticut.  Everything is Giants and Patriots here.   So it's always fun to see a Bills license plate frame or a someone wearing a Bills cap.  I often stop and say hello. 

Most weekends during the season I put my Bills flag out on my house.  Especially if the Bills are playing the Giants or the Pats.  Every once in a while I see another flag.  

A couple years ago, just before Tyrod's first season, I stopped at a house that had a Bills flag flying.  The owner and I talked for a few minutes about where we were from, about our history with the Bills, about how we thought Taylor might do.   

There's another house with a big front lawn and a 20-foot flagpole.   I drive past that house once every month or so.  They always have the American flag up, and beneath that is another flag.   Unless the wind is blowing, you can't tell what the second flag is.  

About 10 years ago I noticed (or so I thought) that the second flag was a Bills flag.  So I always checked out the flag when I went by, but usually it was just hanging limp and I couldn't be sure.   Then for a year or two it clearly was a Cowboys flag.   Then it went back to what I thought was a Bills flag. 

One day I decided to stop and say hello.   I drove in the driveway, got out of the car, then noticed it actually was a Giants flag.   I jumped in the car and drove away. 

Yesterday I drove by the house.  The wind was blowing, and that definitely was a Bills flag.   I went back to the house and rang the doorbell.   A great woman answered the door, I introduced myself and asked her what the story was with these flags.  

She said she's a lifelong Bills fan, her husband is a Giants fan.   Her two sons played youth football for a couple of years, and the team they played on was called the Cowboys.   The deal in the house is that whichever team won last week, or whichever team is winning more recently, gets to fly the flag.   Except that when their boys were playing, they flew a Cowboys flag to support them.   And she hated Rex, so there was a two-year moratorium on the Bills flag while Rex was the coach.  

She was really happy that she's been able to keep that damn Giants flag off the pole just about the entire season!

Go Bills.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

I hear you, Shaw.  I live in Rockland County, and I NEVER see Bills gear around here, its down right depressing.

My wife is from Spring Valley, and her favorite team is the Cowboys, then the Giants.  She thinks Eli is cute. 

But after 40 years with me, she roots for the Bills every week.   She believes they suck and will lose every week, but she roots for them.  

I live in CT also and, like you, are surrounded by Pats*** and Gints fans.  My neighbor, however, is a Chiefs fan who also happens to have a flagpole in his front yard.  We had a bet a couple of years ago that he would fly the Bills flag for the season if the Bills beat the Chiefs and I would fly the Chiefs flag if they won.  The Bills won and I sure loved seeing that flag every time I drove by his house !

• Like (+1) 1

I currently live just outside of Charlotte, and it's actually quite astonishing how many Bills fans live here, for Buffalo being a small-market, perennial loser. In my neighborhood alone, there are at least five different houses (that I know of) that are Bills fans because they either have flags, stickers on their cars, or what not. I'm sure there are even more. Furthermore, at my work I meet lots of Bills fans. I always have my Bills-painted Yeti cup on my desk and I'm always surprised how many Bills fans I come across.

4 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I currently live just outside of Charlotte, and it's actually quite astonishing how many Bills fans live here, for Buffalo being a small-market, perennial loser. In my neighborhood alone, there are at least five different houses (that I know of) that are Bills fans because they either have flags, stickers on their cars, or what not. I'm sure there are even more. Furthermore, at my work I meet lots of Bills fans. I always have my Bills-painted Yeti cup on my desk and I'm always surprised how many Bills fans I come across.

Agree tons of Bills fans down here, including me!  (I am not from WNY however)

That is definitely one fun thing about being an out of town Bills fan.  Whenever we come across someone flying the flag or wearing a shirt/hat, it's always an enjoyable conversation. 

Just now, CLTbills said:

Bills fans are everywhere down here.  I live just south of Charlotte, in Fort Mill, SC and like you have at least 5 houses in my neighborhood that are Bills fans.  Years ago someone stuck a Bills sticker on the nameplate outside my office and I've found that there are a bunch of Bills fans that work on my floor too.  I sure enjoy those conversations more this year than in the past...I like talking about the current season in December. 

• Like (+1) 1

We live in Ashland, VA (just north of Richmond) and put up a Bills flag on the front porch prior to every game. I usually take it down after the game but leave it up longer after a victory.:beer:

We have had several people that we meet in town ask "Do you fly the Bills flag..." or meet outside when I am working in the yard during off-season and ask about the flag. Good conversation starter that has led to some good hookups with fellow WNYers.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

I wear a bills hat of some sort year round. I RARELY if ever see another one.

So do I.  I don't see hats but I will on occasion see a sweatshirt or two in the winter time.   

I  get comments from Bills fans constantly saying nice hat or Go Bills whenever I am out and about.  

13 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I feel like I've met more people from buffalo in charlotte than I have people from buffalo in buffalo. Everytime I go there I'm swamped with "when's the last time you had duffs?" Or whatever their favorite buffalo restaurant is. 

I signed the Panthers superbowl card in a mall there before the panthers/broncos and wrote go bills on it. Bunch of people came up and started talking about buffalo and what part I'm from.  In that group two of them went to my high school(at different times) another worked with my grandma, and one just transferred from my job but a different department. It was crazy. 

I fly the flag while they are still in contention (the entire season this year!!!) in PHilly. 

Tons of Bills fans here in Philadelphia and South Jersey and people always give a "Go Bills" when they see me out in gear.

When a team is this bad for this long, everyone loves them at some level.  

Edited by BeginnersMind