Defense the last four weeks

The defense has seemed to return to it's better play over the last 4 weeks limiting teams to 10, 23, 7 and 16 for an average of 14 points a game.  The 23 obviously being against next week's opponent, the Pats.  They still haven't had the type of turnover production that they had in the first half of the season with exception of yesterday's performance against Cutler.  

It hasn't been the prettiest as they have given up yards on yards on yards but in the end, they've limited teams to field goals.  This defense has given up a lot of yards still but when it counted, they've halted drives.  

We are now nearing our schedule's end and still in the playoff hunt.  If this defense does what it has been doing the last few weeks here...we have a chance.  I assume I wasn't the only one that was happy with holding Brady and the Pats to 23 points two weeks ago.  Let's hope for a similar performance from them this weekend.  Offense...let's help out this defense like they did yesterday.

Not everybody likes the term "Bend but don't break" but that is exactly what this team has done this season with the exception of a few games.  With the lack of talent on that side of the ball, I am very happy with how our defense has played this year.  Can't wait to see how it plays next season with better talent.

The defense drives me crazy. Can't say they have been good because of all the long sustained drives against them, lack of QB pressure etc. But can't say they have been terrible either because other than the 3 game losing streak they've kept teams under 24 points (and most under 20) all year with the exception of the Bucs.

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The defense drives me crazy. Can't say they have been good because of all the long sustained drives against them, lack of QB pressure etc. But can't say they have been terrible either because other than the 3 game losing streak they've kept teams under 24 points (and most under 20) all year with the exception of the Bucs.

Besides those three games...the defense has given up an average of 15.5 points a game. That's over 11 games.

Edited by Buffalo30

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You can't just pretend like the three games didn't happen though. That 3 game losing streak was huge in a season where we will be playing a meaningful week 17 game.

True but for 11 games, they've held teams to an average of 15.5 points.  Those sound like a lot of winnable games to me if you get some offense.  Those three games were bad on both sides of the ball and we are lucky it only lasted three weeks.  

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

We did win the majority of them. Went 8-3 over those 11 games.

Yes.  The defense has been the big reason we are where we are but there were more winnable games there that the offense didn't show up.  Carolina was held to 9 points and the offense scored 3.  New England held to 23 (which is a win against them haha) offense scored 3 and Cincy held to 20 and offense scored 16. 

The zone defense they've played has a lot to do with the long drives and bend don't  break results. It was well displayed in the Dolphins last drive yesterday. Make the opponent drive the length of the field, eating clock and time outs.

With that said Coach needs to focus on tackling basics again this week. They started the season in solid form but have regressed over the past weeks and I saw way too many up high tackles yesterday. Gronk is going to kill them if they don't take his legs out!

They are a decent bend don't break defense that plays pretty well if we have the lead or when the game is close. The Bills problem in general on both sides is when they go down by a score and can no longer play the game on their terms of long drives that run the clock and they are forced to pass more. If you look at the 4 games since SD the Bills defense has generally had the games how they want them. Even the Patriots the defense kept the game to 23 points the offense just failed to produce. I would expect the last 2 to be the same.

The 3 game stretch of bad on defense is as simple as this to me:

NYJ: Game was in reach at half time but the offense fumbling away the tying FG put pressure going into 2nd half. 2 TO's by offense and game over the defense was toast. The frustrating thing with the Jets was the Bills had guys in position to make tackles and they flat out over pursued or missed.

NO: SB contender showed what they can do and we didn't match either way. I also thought they team in general looked a bit shaken that they got beaten that bad by the Jets.

SD: Peterman. The moment the picks started the whole team in general just seemed to quit. Doesn't excuse how bad they looked but yeaaa.

I would note that the one major change that I do believe has helped a bit is Matt Milano starting weekly. He has started since KC and every week he has improved and made plays that make you wonder why not sooner he was starting. His play has helped to buoy the deficiencies of the rest of the LB.

Where our D has struggled has been against teams that can run it well between the hashes.  Luckily, the Pats* are not that type of team, so i think we have a punchers chance.  If TT from the first half of yesterday comes to play, we might walk away with a big win on the road

1 hour ago, Bill Murray said:

Where our D has struggled has been against teams that can run it well between the hashes.  Luckily, the Pats* are not that type of team, so i think we have a punchers chance.  If TT from the first half of yesterday comes to play, we might walk away with a big win on the road

Patties ran for close to 200 yards in Buffalo in the last game.

9 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Patties ran for close to 200 yards in Buffalo in the last game.

with eddie, capi and davis playing and hopefully milano starting, i don't see this happening again. i like our dline rotation and if they can move around and run some stunts, i think the job can get done. if we can make it one dimensional and pressure brady....idk