do the left and right live in different realities??

the more and more I discuss politics especially the past 10 years or so it seems that everything from taxes to global warming too if the sky is blue has been politicized and it almost seems as if the left and right are living in totally different worlds with different realities and different facts.

Is it really this bad that now an information war is ongoing and people can't agree on common facts??

?

39 minutes ago, Magox said:

Political tribalism has always existed but it's worse now than any time that I can recall.

They hypocrisy from both sides of the aisle is on another level.

IMO it's because we aren't in peace time. We're in an information war - one like none we've ever seen in history before and one that's been bubbling under the surface for several years. 

There's a changing of the guard taking place behind the scenes, one group is being shown the door and that is causing the media mouthpieces of this old control system to lash out on ALL fronts, using all their assets to do so. This is in addition to all the other groups trying to influence the conversation, foreign and domestic. 

We have an honest ability to express our differing views with the internet. The stone fortresses of “acceptable opinions” dictated by the New York Times and major TV networks has been shattered.

so we differ....  good.... hopefully we find a better truth through giving time to all opinions.

It starts with being informed enough to have a decent set of priorities one wants from elected officials and having some understanding of federal, state and local constitutions.  Being better informed just isn't a priority for most Americans.  I truly believe that if we had a better informed electorate we'd have much more common ground on a lot of topics.  Unfortunately as a voting population we are a politically lazy bunch and easily swayed by media and sound-bite/ demagoguery from politicians. 

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 1

There's also deliberate misinformation put out to discredit opinions. Even imo clandestine outlets posing as a certain faction in order to damage that very faction.

Say what you want about antifa, as soon as they got some media attention and popularity on the left, dozens of fake antifa chapters, Facebook pages, and organizations popped up out of nowhere. It was an obvious misinformation program. Orchestrated by who, Idk??

Edited by westerndecline

41 minutes ago, row_33 said:

So what do you do with obviously educated and aware people that scream Hillary won because she got more votes?

Or scream about Trump corruption when Hillary spent years selling access to the highest bidder and then using the money to rig her own primary.

Or scream about Trump sexually harassing women when Hillary has protected a serial rapist for decades.

And on and on and on....   Politics has really made people lose their minds.   And that's the scariest thing of all.

Edited by KD in CA

They just got angrier when I tried to instruct them about the Electoral College system. I recall that I learned about it in Grade 4 in Canada in 1974,  so I was happy to tell them all about it.

———

as as a small c conservative I enjoy the consistency of thought in private and work and commercial interactions

as opposed to the other side plotting the extermination of all Capitalists and church-goers.... and then they find they are out of Cheerios so they have to put on a big phony act and talk nice to the cashier until they get back home and plot mass extermination again

• Like (+1) 1