3rd Quarter Statistics

Gugny

I'm sure someone will remember the actual number, so please chime in if you remember .... but a stat was flashed on the screen with regard to 3rd quarter point differential. 

I want to say that it said the Bills have been outscored (ballpark) 60 - 6 over the last 5 games.

Stats I was able to find show that the Bills score an average of 3.6 points in the 3rd quarter (23rd in the league) and they give up an average of 6.8 points in the 3rd quarter (last in the league).

Let me preface by saying I do like McDermott as the coach.  On the surface, this looks like a coaching staff who cannot make halftime adjustments.  However, I ask myself - is it even POSSIBLE to adjust with this roster?

Obviously, it's a mixture of players and coaching.

I think it's mostly a roster issue.

What say you?

Seems to me like we always come out flat in the 3rd offensively. I feel like good teams should be able to put together a first drive after the half as well as the first drive to begin the game. You should be getting the defense on its heels as it tries to adjust to whatever changes you made during the half.

But we don't seem to do that. Our first 3rd quarter drives tend to stall out quickly. A lot of the time we defer to get the ball after the half and that is an opportunity where the opponent's defense doesn't necessarily know what you're going to come out with. But we don't do anything with that opportunity. Offensively I think that is something you should be able to do with any roster.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll be honest it's not like our team is exactly lighting up the scoreboard lately in any quarter. Our offense is pathetic at this point. Early on in the season it seemed like we were making some small adjustments and had at least a semblance of a game plan. It seems like in our losses we have a lull and apparently the third quarter is where it is happening for whatever reason. As a good coach you have to make the players aware of the pattern and put it in their heads to play harder in the third.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm sure someone will remember the actual number, so please chime in if you remember .... but a stat was flashed on the screen with regard to 3rd quarter point differential. 

I want to say that it said the Bills have been outscored (ballpark) 60 - 6 over the last 5 games.

Stats I was able to find show that the Bills score an average of 3.6 points in the 3rd quarter (23rd in the league) and they give up an average of 6.8 points in the 3rd quarter (last in the league).

Let me preface by saying I do like McDermott as the coach.  On the surface, this looks like a coaching staff who cannot make halftime adjustments.  However, I ask myself - is it even POSSIBLE to adjust with this roster?

Obviously, it's a mixture of players and coaching.

I think it's mostly a roster issue.

What say you?

a gazillion to 16 was it? 

The same slow 1st QTR start is re energized in the 3rd QTR start.  

you already know who I put the onus on.  

7 hours ago, PABillsfan23 said:

People blow the whole halftime adjustment thing out of proportion.. The Bills are simply a bad football team.  No really other explanation 

This is a sensible theory. I mean halftime is what , 12 minutes now? Sure a few things can be tweaked here and there, but an entire gameplan that took many hours to develop isn't changing too much. It's barely time to get in the locker room and take a leak. 

one of the most depressing things this year is the lack of progression throughout the year.   the team should progressively come together with more playing time and gradually play better.   while the Dfense has been up and down...its still been pretty solid for the most part but the offense has just been stuck in the same rut all year.   

7 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

one of the most depressing things this year is the lack of progression throughout the year.

Welcome to the world of Tyrod Taylor.   For the last 2 seasons I have been called a hater and that I have an agenda for trying to point this out.  

Slowly even some of  the hard core TT fans are realizing this.  We have seen TT's cap.   For the last 2 or 3 holdouts....  well we can always hope they see the light.  

Welcome to the Dark Side. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Look at the first possessions vs. NE in the third.  

NE scores and it is 16-3 (bad spot and no challenge thrown).

Buffalo get's the ball & Tyrod completes his best pass of the day for 25-30 yards to Clay and called back on a penalty.  1st and 20 and the Bills still manage a first down.

What are the next two calls????  Handoffs to Cadet for 4 yards and again stuck in a third & long......

What a waste of a Sunday.....  Was there and thankfully the weather was great.

59 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

They do. so it's not just a Buffalo thing. 

It speaks to mental toughness and confidence, IMO. I do think that McD possesses these traits, but the coach/QB both have to have it. And its been awhile since we've had a QB that instilled confidence in the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Welcome to the world of Tyrod Taylor.   For the last 2 seasons I have been called a hater and that I have an agenda for trying to point this out.  

Slowly even some of  the hard core TT fans are realizing this.  We have seen TT's cap.   For the last 2 or 3 holdouts....  well we can always hope they see the light.  

Welcome to the Dark Side. 

It's not all about Tyrod even.  The offense as a whole has that whole pre season feel to it.  Penalties at the worst time, wrong routes, dropped balls, bad play calling.  No flow to the offense.  All the little things that need to come together during the season have not at all.

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Look at the first possessions vs. NE in the third.  

NE scores and it is 16-3 (bad spot and no challenge thrown).

Buffalo get's the ball & Tyrod completes his best pass of the day for 25-30 yards to Clay and called back on a penalty.  1st and 20 and the Bills still manage a first down.

What are the next two calls????  Handoffs to Cadet for 4 yards and again stuck in a third & long......

What a waste of a Sunday.....  Was there and thankfully the weather was great.

As the cliche' goes,

there are no plays for 1st and 20 or 25. 

6 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

It speaks to mental toughness and confidence, IMO. I do think that McD possesses these traits, but the coach/QB both have to have it. And its been awhile since we've had a QB that instilled confidence in the team. 

Sad but true.  

2 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

It's not all about Tyrod even.  The offense as a whole has that whole pre season feel to it.  Penalties at the worst time, wrong routes, dropped balls, bad play calling.  No flow to the offense.  All the little things that need to come together during the season have not at all.

I get what you are saying ...  I have to check the #'s but it seems as if the total # may be down.  The problem is  - so are the # of our offensive drives. 

30 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I get what you are saying ...  I have to check the #'s but it seems as if the total # may be down.  The problem is  - so are the # of our offensive drives

The problem is... most our drives are down right offensive lol 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

This is a sensible theory. I mean halftime is what , 12 minutes now? Sure a few things can be tweaked here and there, but an entire gameplan that took many hours to develop isn't changing too much. It's barely time to get in the locker room and take a leak. 

Dennison...is that you?