Carol Burnett Show and 60 Minutes 50th Anniversary Shows

plenzmd1

DVR alert for the old folks out there like me.

The Carol Burnett Show and 60 Minutes 50th Anniversary shows are airing on Sunday. Started watching 60 minutes with my parents in the mid 70's, still DVR every episode even though I don't get to them all. 

Carol Burnett was the start of what NBC would later call Must See TV. Before VCR's, it was "appointment TV" on Saturday night to watch CBS and the killer lineup of comedies. Spent many a Saturday night as a family huddled around the console TV watching Carol Burnett, Mash, All IN the Family and MTM show. Was often time s a treat for us, as my parents never bought into pizza as a"meal", was always considered a snack. So Saturday nights in the winter, we would often get a pizza to watch the aforementioned TV show.s. Cant even tell you how excited we were when Pepsi came out with a 2 liter bottle about the same time..holy moly that was cheap enough even my old man would  buy soda for the house! Never had soda in the house before the 2 liter bottle!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Those are recent shows. I remember watching  Ed Sullivan on Sunday evenings (still remember the Beatles debut) and Hogans Heroes was on Saturday evenings. Would take a bath and then watch it before bed.

Edited by Wacka

I think I'm the only person who really didn't like the Carol Burnett show.  The rest of those shows on CBS on Saturday night were all great, though.  The Bob Newhart Show is underrated............I thought it was funnier than MTM, thought MTM was great in it's own way. 

57 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

i watched parts of it switching back and forth between the eagles games...that show last night was unwatchable except for the clips.  the special guests that set up the segments were horrible.

agree Pooj, I was majorly disappointed and went to bed halfway through. 60 minutes show was not all that great either

4 hours ago, The Poojer said:

i watched parts of it switching back and forth between the eagles games...that show last night was unwatchable except for the clips.  the special guests that set up the segments were horrible.

DVR'd, but did watch the first hour.  Thought it was absolutely hilarious.  Laughed so hard, our teenagers were asking us what was so funny and had to tell them that they wouldn't understand.  Going to watch the 2nd hour tonight.  

sure the old clips are some of the funniest things ever(along with the dean martin roasts)...it was the BS in between the clips that made it unwatchable.

1 hour ago, Richmond_Bills said:

DVR'd, but did watch the first hour.  Thought it was absolutely hilarious.  Laughed so hard, our teenagers were asking us what was so funny and had to tell them that they wouldn't understand.  Going to watch the 2nd hour tonight.  

17 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

sure the old clips are some of the funniest things ever(along with the dean martin roasts)...it was the BS in between the clips that made it unwatchable.

In the first hour there was some of that - but I'd say it was 75% clips/stories and 25% fluff time with celebrities that I didn't know...except for Jim Carey - who I would rather pour gasoline in my eyes than watch...