Again the need for 300 yards Passing/game

Billsfan1972

Forget trying to tell us that 300 yard games mean nothing when it comes to wins and losses as that is often wrong, especially when both QB's throw for 300 and teams trying to come back.

I am posting as to having a QB & Offense that at the start of the game you game plan to stop them throwing for 300 yards.

That is the problem with the Bills.  No defensive coordinator thinks the Bills want to throw for 200, much less then 300 and basically beg them to try (and they don't).

Name me a team in the league that can't throw for 300......  Browns (maybe), Jags (Bortles has), Baltimore, Denver & Chicago (Trubinsky)......  That's it......

I've been waiting for a game that the Bills try to establish the pass (first 6 weeks every NE opponent did).

And when they do & if Tyrod fails miserably, then you can say "I told you so".

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Bills most certainly want to have better production in the air.  Which is why they traded for Benjamin, traded up for Jones and took the risk in playing Peterman.

Keep Tyrod in the pocket and make him play QB means defenses don’t respect us moving the ball in the air.

And traded Watkins who was meshing with Taylor in the pre-season. 

Oh and then Boldin just walking out on the team, seeing they weren't serious on O.....

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And traded Watkins who was meshing with Taylor in the pre-season. 

Oh and then Boldin just walking out on the team, seeing they weren't serious on O.....

Well since Taylor, in your opinion, is a good passer and runner and having a better season than Goff...I'm assuming on the open market he will get close to $100 million?  

What QB needy team will not salivate over a guy like that?

• Like (+1) 1

Need to be able to Pass and Run with some degree of success, and we've struggled with each this year.

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Name me a team in the league that can't throw for 300......  Browns (maybe), Jags (Bortles has), Baltimore, Denver & Chicago (Trubinsky)......  That's it......

Here's a list of QBs averaging less than 220 passing yards per game this year:
Eli Manning

Cam Newton

Andy Dalton

Dak Prescott

Blake Bortles

Tyrod Taylor

Brett Hundley

Tom Savage

Ryan Fitzpatrick

DeShone Kizer

Jay Cutler

Joe Flacco

Mitch Trubisky

----

Matt Moore

Mike Glennon

Brian Hoyer

Drew Stanton

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Need to be able to Pass and Run with some degree of success, and we've struggled with each this year.

Here's a list of QBs averaging less than 220 passing yards per game this year:
Eli Manning

Cam Newton

Andy Dalton

Dak Prescott

Blake Bortles

Tyrod Taylor

Brett Hundley

Tom Savage

Ryan Fitzpatrick

DeShone Kizer

Jay Cutler

Joe Flacco

Mitch Trubisky

----

Matt Moore

Mike Glennon

Brian Hoyer

Drew Stanton

That's not a good list of names, although I'm surprised to see Cam on there.

Again what I said is game planning for 300 yards......  You certainly do when playing vs.

Cam Newton

Eli (with OBJ)

Rodgers (Hundley almost did it vs. Pitt)

Winston (injured)

Watson (injured)

Dalton (Capable and has in career, but problem now is he can't)

Flacco (see Dalton).....

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Because he's had 5 stinkers under 200 and would be benched by some people on this site..... 

Being a MVP who accounted for 50 tds while going to the SB gives you more job security.

i didn't like the TT benching but not really the same.  300 is just a number. I remember EJ had a 298 yard game when we were in a 300 yard passing game drought. The overall point is no one fears our passing attack. As a result, McCoy has less room to operate and kills the one strength our offense should have.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Being a MVP who accounted for 50 tds while going to the SB gives you more job security.

i didn't like the TT benching but not really the same.  300 is just a number. I remember EJ had a 298 yard game when we were in a 300 yard passing game drought. The overall point is no one fears our passing attack. As a result, McCoy has less room to operate and kills the one strength our offense should have.

Agreed. Cam's body of work buys him some time that unproven guys who have never done much but "not turn the ball over" don't have

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well since Taylor, in your opinion, is a good passer and runner and having a better season than Goff...I'm assuming on the open market he will get close to $100 million?  

What QB needy team will not salivate over a guy like that?

do you realize who you're trying to have a discussion with?  he actually tried to tell us that goff was being coached not to throw to watkins, hence watkins' low numbers this year.  he actually said that.  i'm not sure if it was before or after he called watkins elite.

300 yard passing teams have a win percentage of .575 this year (42-31 assuming my math is right). Tyrod Taylor has a win percentage .600 this year. I don’t see the correlation? If anything it dispels that notion in that winning teams (like the Pats and Eagles) get great QB play.  Just saying... 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

That's not a good list of names, although I'm surprised to see Cam on there.

There's some respected names there. Manning, Newton, Flacco, Dalton, Prescott.

Newton's had 4 sub 200 yard games this year.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again what I said is game planning for 300 yards......  You certainly do when playing vs.

Cam Newton

Eli (with OBJ)

Rodgers (Hundley almost did it vs. Pitt)

Winston (injured)

Watson (injured)

Dalton (Capable and has in career, but problem now is he can't)

Flacco (see Dalton).....

If those guys are planning for 300 passing yards they're failing a LOT. Rodgers, Watson, & Winston weren't mentioned so I don't know why that's a point.

Cam: 4 games under 200, 8/11 under 250

Eli: 3 games under 200, 8/11under 250

Really gassing up Hundley? 1 game under 100, 2 under 200, 6/6 under 250

Dalton: 4 under 200, 8/11 under 250

Flacco: 1 under 50, 7 under 200, 10/11 under 250

Tyrod: 1 under 100, 7 under 200, 9/11 under 250

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yes it's a #, and one that is used as a benchmark.

As long as no one fears the passing attack it affects all parts of the game.

BTW I am 100% convinced that the game plan with Peterman vs. LAC was to throw for 300 yards, thus 16 pass plays (scramble & fumble included) and 9 runs in the first half.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

300 yard passing teams have a win percentage of .575 this year (42-31 assuming my math is right). Tyrod Taylor has a win percentage .600 this year. I don’t see the correlation? If anything it dispels that notion in that winning teams (like the Pats and Eagles) get great QB play.  Just saying... 

I don't think that's the right correlation you're making...instead of 'Tyrod Taylor's win %' you should look at his average YPG and see what winning percentage that carries league wide.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again read the OP.....  If both QB's throw for 300, then one loses.  Also take a look at the losses and many were great close games.  Yes some stinkers, but not too many.  I won't go through them.  But here you go.....

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/300-yard-passing.html

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Fair point Kirby.  But id counter with what could the possibility of a 250 yard game do for this team?

teams are stacking the box and daring us to throw.  

4 minutes ago, teef said:

do you realize who you're trying to have a discussion with?  he actually tried to tell us that goff was being coached not to throw to watkins, hence watkins' low numbers this year.  he actually said that.  i'm not sure if it was before or after he called watkins elite.

Yeah...I'm not sure why I keep trying to have a discussion with him.
Recent discussion with him.....he didn't criticize Taylor for that bad throw to O'Leary because the pass was complete and it was O'Leary's for not rolling on the ground a few more yards for the first.  But at the same time, he will criticize Goff all day long for not putting the ball in right spot all the time.  

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fair point Kirby.  But id counter with what could the possibility of a 250 yard game do for this team?

teams are stacking the box and daring us to throw.  

I just glanced quickly, so maybe I'm off, but since 2015 the Bills are 2-9 when the QB passes for more than 250 yards. Really weird.