A Few Thoughts about the Chiefs Game

Virgil

Finally, after three long weeks, a review I can look forward to writing.  I saw the team that squeaked out some quality wins in the first 7 weeks and gave me some optimism for competitive football in the final 5 games.  After our little skid, I admit I was getting worried.  Definitely learned some things this weeks and had others solidified.  Here we go.

1 - Front 4 - When they showed the starting lineup graphic of our front 4 today, I got a little annoyed.  With Hughes, Kyle, Shaq, and Washington, it makes no sense how our rush defense has been so terrible.  Kyle didn't forget how to play overnight.  Hughes is a stud.  Shaq is a first rounder.  Even with Washington being eh, that doesn't excuse the past few weeks.  And if you are a Dareus supporter, you can't deny his snap count when he was here.  With that being said, these guys finally showed up tonight, especially Hughes and Kyle.  Those two were in the backfield constantly, moving the pocket, and making first contact with Hunt.  Yes, we sent extra pressure (THANK YOU!!!), but these guys were the start.  It was great to see come together and I hope to see more of the same next week against Brady.  It may not have shown up in the sack numbers, but the front 4 was fantastic today against the run and pass.

2 - Defense Gave Up? - I was on the bandwagon about these guys giving up in previous weeks.  I can only imagine what it's like to get no offensive support, be on the field all day, and have the offense give up scores as well, while trying to maintain a level of high intensity.  This week though....this week our swarming defense was back.  These guys were flying to the ball and in position to make plays.  We almost had a few INT's due to strong positioning and solid hits.  The middle of the field is still our weakness with a soft zone, but another overall positive sign of life after three poor showings.  Fun Fact - Chiefs were 2-12 on 3rd down.  That's pretty incredible.  

3 - Special Teams - Outside of one missed Field Goal (with terrible camera coverage btw), the special teams was fantastic as a unit.  Kickoff coverage was great.  Punts were long and held Hill to minimal and negative gains, and Hauschka could've hit from 65 on one of his kicks.  This unit has the absolute unsung hero of the game.  

4 - There were times when I wanted to hurt you,
and there were times when I know that I did.
There were times when I thought I would kill you,
but can you blame me I was only a kid.

5 - Penalties - With the Patriots coming up, I'm concerned about how many 3rd and longs where we jumped offsides on defense.  We can't give up free yardage in those situations and we basically gave the Chiefs a first down after a 2nd and 25.  The penalties weren't as bad as previous weeks, but still not inspiring.  However, I would be remiss if I didn't address the horrible Personal Foul call on the last drive where the defender didn't even make contact with Hunt, yet the refs tacked on 15 yards.  That was the pinnacle. of Bills misery and was sure to lead to a loss, but.....

6 - Biggest Difference This Year - How many games have we led all game, only to lose it on the final drive in previous years?  This year, not so much.  The BBFS was screaming loud in my head on that last drive until White came up big with that INT.  I can't begin to say how big a change this is from previous teams and how inspired it makes me about the mentality change within this team.  We did it against the Falcons and we did it hear, against two premier quarterbacks.  This is the start of something good.

7 - McDermott - I'm happy to see that he got this team to play today.  You can call out the Chiefs for being in a rut, but Arrowhead is not an easy place to play and we are in a rut of our own.  McDermott got these guys to show up after a QB debacle, 3 game losing streak, and on the road.  Kudos to him and I'm happy to see him wake these guys up.  His decision to take a timeout with 9 seconds left at the half, when we was just going to kick a field goal was a head scratcher to me and could have ended up with going against us in the most Billsy way, but it all worked out.

8 - Tyrod - This was a definition Tyrod game where he showed you why you both need him and why we can get better at the position.  Tyrod keeps plays alive in the pocket as good as anyone in the NFL.  Most QB's took more sacks in this game and TT has evolved enough to keep his eyes downfield.  And yes, he had some good downfield throws.  On the flip side, his TD pass to Zay was open for a solid 3 seconds before he threw it, which makes me wonder when he saw it.  He almost got picked off after floating one to Clay downfield by Peters.  And, the play that everyone keeps talking about, the wide open O'Leary that forced him to the ground to catch it.  If Tyrod hits him standing at all, he gets at least another 10 yards, we are in field goal range, and the final drives aren't as dramatic.  Did he make the TD and pass to O'Leary?  Yes.  Could those plays have backfired or affected the game in a negative way? Also yes.  Again, Tyrod is who he is.  I like the guy, but we can improve at the position.  But as we saw last week, we can also do a lot worse.  But he's not he only issue with our offense....

9 - Dennison - I'll give the man credit for expanding the route tree with our WR's today.  Guys were running deeper routes and spreading the field.  However, we are in way too many 3rd and long situations because he tried to get cute.  How many trick plays, delayed screens got blown up today?  On our last offensive drive, no attempt to get yards, only run out the clock.  Dennison is as much to blame for this offense as TT missing reads downfield.  It's not one or the other.  He needs to get us in 2nd/3rd and short situations and not kill drives before they begin.  As of now, I'd be okay with him not returning next year.

10 - Defensive Backs - These guys were studs today and you didn't really hear any Chiefs WR's names called out today.  Kelce had a few busted plays where we were blitzing and left a floating LB on him, but that's not on the DB's.  Gaines was a stud out there and blew up Kelce on a screen play.  White sealed the game and also had some good swats.  These guys needed a good game after the past few weeks and got one.  I hope to see this carried into next week.

Bonus  - Between the post games last week and post games this week, I've learned one thing.  This team belongs to Kyle and TT.  No matter their play on the field, the players rally around them and I really wonder what the trading of Dareus (Who Kyle was a mentor too) and benching of TT did behind the scenes.  Either way, it seems to be behind them now.

I'll be honest, I'm not ready for next week.  I wish we had the Colts or Dolphins next week to fine tune some things.  The Pats are one of the hottest teams in the league and we know our history.  With that, today's game was inspiring.  The Pats usually summarize our season and talent level when they come to town, so let's see what happens.  No matter what, 6-5 feels pretty good right now.

Go Bills

Edited by Virgil

Kyle is shot. He is all heart but just doesn't have but a few significant plays a game in him.

Honestly, there is no way to explain the meltdown and at least one game resurgence of the defense.  They looked like a completely different team for three weeks.  Makes me wonder if this stuff is all fixed.  I mean how the hell do they give up 500 yards rushing in two games and then go out there today and make game saving tackles all over the field.

McDermott and most of the coaches in this league need to learn the 4 minute offense is about passing the football.  This is the only thing Maj and I might agree on.  Belichick and Brady have shown the way.  You pass to burn the clock.  They stack 8 in the box making it easy to get short safe passes completed.  One play action pass on first down and that game is over well before White gets his INT.  They play 8 in the box and Man to man.  Paly action pulls the line backers in, making a TE curl, a WR inside slant, or a flat/wheel to the RB almost a certainty. 

I like TT, but he needs to do something magical this week if they are to beat the Pats. Maybe run for 100 with Shady over 100. 

• Like (+1) 1

Great post as usual.

Chiefs ate in a rut, but they win in Arrowhead.

Bills and Steelers are there only two home losses.

I heard McD showed the team 17/19 of experts picking against them and how that riled the team up, I think Taylor said it post game, hopefully next week has the same response.

NE is not a lock to come into New Era and Win.. Excited for this game!!

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'll be honest, I'm not ready for next week.  I wish we had the Colts or Dolphins next week to fine tune some things.  The Pats are one of the hottest teams in the league and we know our history.  With that, today's game was inspiring.  The Pats usually summarize our season and talent level when they come to town, so let's see what happens.  No matter what, 6-5 feels pretty good right now.

I actually think playing the Pats next week may not be a bad idea.  With that loss out of the way, the team can then focus on winning the next three  before going to Foxboro (which BTW may be a meaningless game for the Pats).   #1 and #2 seeds are locked between Pats and Steelers.  The Jags/Titans and anyone coming from the AFCW will not be able to catch up with them.  

57 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I actually think playing the Pats next week may not be a bad idea.  With that loss out of the way, the team can then focus on winning the next three  before going to Foxboro (which BTW may be a meaningless game for the Pats).   #1 and #2 seeds are locked between Pats and Steelers.  The Jags/Titans and anyone coming from the AFCW will not be able to catch up with them.  

"I actually think playing the Pats next week may not be a bad idea." . . . Actually, I don't think they have a choice.

I watched it late last night jumping all commercials and "game commentary" 

Offense -

Saw some nice things and more of the same things.  At least we gained some yards rushing.  

Defense - 

Where the hell have you been this past month. A needed INT because of a failure to score TD's and out the game out of reach.  I'd like to relax at the end of the game and not grind my teeth. 

2 hours ago, hemma said:

EJ Gaines is a big piece.  Makes the entire D better when you have 2 solid CBs

I noticed that too. Without EJ at CB this defense falls apart. Def gotta sign him and draft another.

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I watched it late last night jumping all commercials and "game commentary" 

Offense -

Saw some nice things and more of the same things.  At least we gained some yards rushing.  

Defense - 

Where the hell have you been this past month. A needed INT because of a failure to score TD's and out the game out of reach.  I'd like to relax at the end of the game and not grind my teeth. 

:lol:

Cmon man we grind our teeth during every win unless up by 20. You know the rules of Bills fandom.

2 hours ago, JinxedBill1 said:

This.  Need better depth behind him than wright.  Gaines is a solid #2 CB

Wright is ok and I think shows promise.  He may just need a little more time.  The DB I'm concerned about is Johnson (#24), he got abused often (run and pass) and probably shouldn't be on the field much.

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

We play the Dolphins the last game of the year not the Patriots

Next weekend we get a head to head comparison between Tyrod and Tom Brady.

Every darn time (in the past) I have said Tyrod isn't capable of doing something,

like throwing over the middle, or hitting a receiver in stride, he has proven me wrong.

Here's to hoping for a miracle........come on Tyrod....do something special.........

Go Bills !

4 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

Next weekend we get a head to head comparison between Tyrod and Tom Brady.

Every darn time (in the past) I have said Tyrod isn't capable of doing something,

like throwing over the middle, or hitting a receiver in stride, he has proven me wrong.

Here's to hoping for a miracle........come on Tyrod....do something special.........

Go Bills !

You are supposed to say bad about him so that the opposite happens!!!!

o

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

You are supposed to say bad about him so that the opposite happens!!!!

Right, I'm already screwing things up!

Okay here goes................Tyrod can never complete the deep throw for a TD.................

Are you listening Tyrod ?