Here's a new theory on McDermott’s troubles withQB decisions

lifefan

I think that the original plan with McDermott and Beane was to build for the future; not looking to just make the playoffs and lose in the 1st round, but to plan to make and do damage in the playoffs further down the road. The Bills quick start threw a monkey wrench into that plan and McDermott, being a new HC and not wanting to lose the veterans, started preaching winning both now and later.  The last three games brought everything back to reality and back to the original long term vision, hence starting Peterman. Only giving him a few days to prepare for his 1st NFL start wasn't fair to Peterman, if he is seen as a quick fix. I think McDermott thought he would play much better and could afford to stick with him.  Now he has to come out on one side or the other; either try to win now with Taylor, or plan for the future and go with a rookie QB. He's in a very tough spot now. 

Edited by lifefan

4 minutes ago, vorpma said:

...what happened to the knowledgeable Bills Fans that use to post!

I think McD and Beane traded them collectively for a 6th rd pick.  It's ok, though, because they've assured us there will be no drop off in quality, and that they did this with an eye toward both the current and future betterment of the board.

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, lifefan said:

I think that the original plan with McDermott and Beane was to build for the future; not looking to just make the playoffs and lose in the 1st round, but to plan to make and do damage in the playoffs further down the road. The Bills quick start threw a monkey wrench into that plan and McDermott, being a new HC and not wanting to lose the veterans, started preaching winning both now and later.  The last three games brought everything back to reality and back to the original long term vision, hence starting Peterman. Only giving him a few days to prepare for his 1st NFL start wasn't fair to Peterman, if he is seen as a quick fix. I think McDermott thought he would play much better and could afford to stick with him.  Now he has to come out on one side or the other; either try to win now with Taylor, or plan for the future and go with a rookie QB. He's in a very tough spot now. 

There is a lot of thinking going on at the wall lately.  Don't hurt yourselves.

37 minutes ago, lifefan said:

I think also not giving him a right side of the line wasn't very much fair either.  I honestly think they were trying their best to win now which is why they resigned Taylor.  No other reason to do that, they could have just started Yates till they threw Peterman in there.

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

23 minutes ago, transient said:

I think McD and Beane traded them collectively for a 6th rd pick.  It's ok, though, because they've assured us there will be no drop off in quality, and that they did this with an eye toward both the current and future betterment of the board.

Or Maybe, just maybe.... ah never mind you would never get it!

I had no expectations this year. Bills got to 5-2 and fans thought differently I guess.

This team has zero depth, no nickel CB, LBs who can’t cover, right side of the line is garbage, Glenn can’t play, Rookie LT, DTs are weak, pass rush is not stout enough. Tyrod is not good.

But cap wise we are much better to build. Fans shouldn’t expect much next year either, the record may be worse. But I feel after the next 2 drafts, next 2 FreeAgency periods and next 2 offseasons this team will start to turn heads. All depends on the QB position. I look at Wentz and Jared Goff. Buffalo with or without Tyrod starting is gonna finish 7-9 at best...

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

3 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I had no expectations this year. Bills got to 5-2 and fans thought differently I guess.

This team has zero depth, no nickel CB, LBs who can’t cover, right side of the line is garbage, Glenn can’t play, Rookie LT, DTs are weak, pass rush is not stout enough. Tyrod is not good.

But cap wise we are much better to build. Fans shouldn’t expect much next year either, the record may be worse. But I feel after the next 2 drafts, next 2 FreeAgency periods and next 2 offseasons this team will start to turn heads. All depends on the QB position. I look at Wentz and Jared Goff. Buffalo with or without Tyrod starting is gonna finish 7-9 at best...

Thank you, an intelligent post, I really needed that!