Keep it up Baker Mayfield

The juice

Oh boy I bet you guys loved Johnny Manziel too. Please move this to the college forum so we don't have to see this nonsense amongst the real NFL player threads

Just now, racecitybills said:

Please no.   Mayfield is manziel without the booze problem.  Yet.   Mason Rudolph.   Size skills and savvy.  

Don't worry Mayfield does have the booze problem too. He's a hard partier by all accounts. Oh and there's this http://m.tmz.com/2017/03/10/baker-mayfield-arrest-video/

Edited by kdiggz

18 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Oh boy I bet you guys loved Johnny Manziel too. Please move this to the college forum so we don't have to see this nonsense amongst the real NFL player threads

Don't worry Mayfield does have the booze problem too. He's a hard partier by all accounts. Oh and there's this http://m.tmz.com/2017/03/10/baker-mayfield-arrest-video/

He would fit perfect on a Wrecks Ryan team with no discipline but not on a McProcess team

• Like (+1) 1

I liked Manziel and still think he could have been a good player if he needed football. Johnny loved being Johnny Football. Baker loves the game.

At some point I want a guy that doesn’t say, “the Patriots are the best ever and we have the utmost respect for what they’ve accomplished.” I want a guy that say “f*** the Patriots!!!” I know we had that blowhard Rex that wasn’t going to “kiss the ring” but he had some success against them before the Jets were gutted. We’ve tried the nice guys and we know where they finish. There are a bunch of good prospects in this draft but Baker’s competitiveness and swagger is one of the things that I like most about him. I saw what he did to that OSU defense loaded with pros and he may get the chance to show it against Alabama and/or Clemson too. I’d be more than okay if he was the guy. That’s a guy that changes the culture!!

Edited by Kirby Jackson

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I liked Manziel and still think he could have been a good player if he needed football. Johnny loved being Johnny Football. Baker loves the game.

At some point I want a guy that doesn’t say, “the Patriots are the best ever and we have the utmost respect for what they’ve accomplished.” I want a guy that say “f*** the Patriots!!!” I know we had that blowhard Rex that wasn’t going to “kiss the ring” but he had some success against them before the Jets were gutted. We’ve tried the nice guys and we know where they finish. There are a bunch of good prospects in this draft but Baker’s competitiveness and swagger is one of the things that I like most about him. I saw what he did to that OSU defense loaded with pros and he may get the chance to show it against Alabama and/or Clemson too. I’d be more than okay if he was the guy. That’s a guy that changes the culture!!

“Swagger” is ridiculously overrated these days. We don’t need a guy to give the Pats the middle finger. We need a team with the talent to beat the Pats. Carson Wentz is tearing up this season, without running around looking like a moron (aka Mayfield). If you like Mayfield as a prospect, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally, I just don’t see how his antics can be perceived as a positive. It’s one thing to be cocky, it’s another to be an obnoxious loudmouth. Running ones mouth doesn’t help win games. As far as culture change is concerned, the playoff drought Bills haven’t had too many “nice guys”, we’ve simply lacked talent.  

2 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

“Swagger” is ridiculously overrated these days. We don’t need a guy to give the Pats the middle finger. We need a team with the talent to beat the Pats. Carson Wentz is tearing up this season, without running around looking like a moron (aka Mayfield). If you like Mayfield as a prospect, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally, I just don’t see how his antics can be perceived as a positive. It’s one thing to be cocky, it’s another to be an obnoxious loudmouth. Running ones mouth doesn’t help win games. As far as culture change is concerned, the playoff drought Bills haven’t had too many “nice guys”, we’ve simply lacked talent.  

I think Baker is a guy that gets guys believing that they can win. He just did it in the Shoe and will have a chance in the Big 12 title game and playoff. Last year the Buckeyes stomped them out at OU. This year he brought in his team and had them believing. He dominated them. His team believes (and he isn’t exactly playing with a ton of talent outside of his OL). 

I’m all for the middle finger to the Pats. We’ve bowed down to them since the Lawyer Milloy game. At some point the narrative needs to change. We need to stop being okay being the little brother. That doesn’t mean that you will beat them but you need to attack. I don’t honestly think that the Bills have believed that they could beat them for a while. They pulled a couple of those games out but in general have been humbled. I think that the mentality needs to change. 

I like a lot of the prospects in the draft draft but think that Darnold and Rosen are gone. The Jets apparently like Allen so he might be as well. Jackson and Mayfield are guys that I like (Rudolph doesn’t do much for me after watching a lot of him). Finley, Ferguson and Falk are options as well potentially. It’s a good group and they all have some positives. I just think that Mayfield’s the fiercest competitor of all of them (that’s a Brady trait). 

42 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What some people see as swagger others see as obnoxious behavior. Let's not be swayed by his challenging and pugnacious behavior and be more impressed with the more substantive issue of his play. He is tremendous! There isn't a trait that he has in college that doesn't translate to the pro game. He has a strong enough arm, he is accurate, he uses the whole field and he can go through progressions. 

For those people who cite his height as a disqualifier I cite players such as Brees and Russell Wilson to dismiss that irrelevant issue. The issue is how  do you play, not how do you look. While Bortles fits the ideal mold from a stature standpoint his caliber of play reeks with mediocrity. In all the games that I have watched Mayfield play there wasn't a game where one wouldn't say that he was not only the best player on the field but that he was also the most dynamic player on a the field full of tremendous athletes. 

Without a doubt sometimes his conduct is boorish. That's not an aspect that I like about him. What I do like and that you have highlighted is his fiery competitiveness. Anyone who doesn't think that the sleepy Bills need an injection of spirit hasn't watched the same team that I have for a long time. While some people complain that his behavior is antagonistic the response of his teammates love his passion and rally around him. That's leadership that can't taught because it is an inherent attribute that you have or don't have. 

Although I am enamored with Mayfield I'm not wedded to any qb prospect. There are a number of good high end prospects (3-5} who would be good franchise qb prospects. From a pure pro passing standpoint Rosen may be the best qb prospect in this draft. However, from an all encompassing standpoint that includes competitiveness and production Mayfield is at the top of my list. 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think Baker is a guy that gets guys believing that they can win. He just did it in the Shoe and will have a chance in the Big 12 title game and playoff. Last year the Buckeyes stomped them out at OU. This year he brought in his team and had them believing. He dominated them. His team believes (and he isn’t exactly playing with a ton of talent outside of his OL). 

I’m all for the middle finger to the Pats. We’ve bowed down to them since the Lawyer Milloy game. At some point the narrative needs to change. We need to stop being okay being the little brother. That doesn’t mean that you will beat them but you need to attack. I don’t honestly think that the Bills have believed that they could beat them for a while. They pulled a couple of those games out but in general have been humbled. I think that the mentality needs to change. 

I like a lot of the prospects in the draft draft but think that Darnold and Rosen are gone. The Jets apparently like Allen so he might be as well. Jackson and Mayfield are guys that I like (Rudolph doesn’t do much for me after watching a lot of him). Finley, Ferguson and Falk are options as well potentially. It’s a good group and they all have some positives. I just think that Mayfield’s the fiercest competitor of all of them (that’s a Brady trait). 

You may be in favor of “giving the Pats the middle finger”, but Mayfield would give them a literal middle finger. That’s the issue I have with him. I simply don’t believe that the Bills loser mentality has been the cause of the Pats dominance. Tom Brady has been the responsible party for the Pats dominance. We simply haven’t had the talent to beat the Pats. Rex Ryan was the king of swagger, and we achieved very little under his leadership. Swagger is meaningless without brains and the ability to back it up. Mayfield’s NFL success will be reliant upon his ability to play the game at the pro level. He will not succeed solely because of his swagger. 

You mention the swagger of Brady. This led me to thinking about it from a different perspective. Swagger is the classic chicken versus egg debate. Does swagger come before success? Or does swagger arrive as a result of success? I remember actually rooting for Brady in his first Super Bowl. It was apparent that he had strong leadership abilities, but arrogance and swagger was not yet apparent to the average fan. Brady has morphed into an outwardly arrogant/cocky NFL player following his early success. Keep in mind that Brady’s leadership and swagger is much different than Mayfield’s immature behavior. 

12 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

You may be in favor of “giving the Pats the middle finger”, but Mayfield would give them a literal middle finger. That’s the issue I have with him. I simply don’t believe that the Bills loser mentality has been the cause of the Pats dominance. Tom Brady has been the responsible party for the Pats dominance. We simply haven’t had the talent to beat the Pats. Rex Ryan was the king of swagger, and we achieved very little under his leadership. Swagger is meaningless without brains and the ability to back it up. Mayfield’s NFL success will be reliant upon his ability to play the game at the pro level. He will not succeed solely because of his swagger. 

You mention the swagger of Brady. This led me to thinking about it from a different perspective. Swagger is the classic chicken versus egg debate. Does swagger come before success? Or does swagger arrive as a result of success? I remember actually rooting for Brady in his first Super Bowl. It was apparent that he had strong leadership abilities, but arrogance and swagger was not yet apparent to the average fan. Brady has morphed into an outwardly arrogant/cocky NFL player following his early success. Keep in mind that Brady’s leadership and swagger is much different than Mayfield’s immature behavior. 

Brady and Belichick are certainly the reason for the dominance. It doesn’t mean that you should just “take it.” Show some fight and heart and belief. I promise that the first time Baker plays them, regardless of where he is, he will play well (and confidently). If he gives them the middle finger, so be it. What’s the worst case scenario, the Pats destroy us? The pros far out way the cons IMO. The Bills need that mentality from someone. 

The swagger conversation is an interesting one. I don’t know the answer. All of the guys that are “ultra-cocky” have had a great deal of success. Were they like that before it did it come after? I’ve never seen an “ultra-cocky” bum (besides Lavar Ball). They kind of become the crazy uncle if that’s the case.

4 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I agree with you that swagger has little to do with the imbalance in the record between the Bills and the Patriots, It's mostly due to the disparity in talent and coaching. That's the point!. With a player such as Mayfield and his production you are adding a talent you are addressing the talent disparity. Is he at times too rambunctious and crude? On that behavioral issue I agree with you. But at times behaving too crudely doesn't mean that he can't address those acts of immaturity. 

I'll take a player such as Mayfield who periodically needs to be called into the office for some lashing while acknowledging that he has a passion for the game exhibited by not only his play but his work ethic. Compare that to the talented Dareus who prepared as if he didn't care? Let's not get carried away as if Mayfield's behavior is at a level where it places him and the team in jeopardy. He is a passionate guy in which his teammates rally around. He is not a solo act in which his teammates are repelled by. 

The bottom line is I would love to have him on the Bills. And I believe the fans would love to root for player like him. 

I go back and forth loving this dude and wanting to punch him in the face.  If he tries that crap in the NFL, he'd get the Losman treatment.  

He is either going to be a star or another gimmicky undersized college qb who is a total wash out in the NFL. I don't think there's an in between.  Very difficult to evaluate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.