171 Still Greater Than 10: Nathan Peterman vs. Patrick Mahomes

BurpleBull

3 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Nathan Peterman can't save the season by himself, I certainly didn't suggest that. The defense has to get back on track and the team has to play with a renewed sense of them against the doubters. The run game has to click again most importantly perhaps though. If the ground game is working, the defense causes problems for QB's as it did early on, Peterman plays within himself, doesn't turn the ball over, then yes the Bills will have a very good shot at making the playoffs.  None of this is unfathomable.

I like the Bills chances with Peterman. Team just has to return to its old form, from this season and a season past.

"Ball washing"? Come on. 

Mahomes has the upside because he has a cannon arm no matter if he's throwing off his back foot or not. Outside of that, how is he head and shoulders better than Peterman?

If he can't read a defense all a strong arm means is that maybe the DB he just threw it to might have a harder time holding onto the pick.

9 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Nathan Peterman can't save the season by himself, I certainly didn't suggest that. The defense has to get back on track and the team has to play with a renewed sense of them against the doubters. The run game has to click again most importantly perhaps though. If the ground game is working, the defense causes problems for QB's as it did early on, Peterman plays within himself, doesn't turn the ball over, then yes the Bills will have a very good shot at making the playoffs.  None of this is unfathomable.

I like the Bills chances with Peterman. Team just has to return to its old form, from this season and a season past.

"Ball washing"? Come on. 

Mahomes has the upside because he has a cannon arm no matter if he's throwing off his back foot or not. Outside of that, how is he head and shoulders better than Peterman?

Hows that ball washing workin out for ya?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Poor game planning for a rookies first start by the coaches. Dreadful performance from Peterman, but that is not the best he has to offer. The Bills should roll with Peterman.

Take note posters, this is how you start digging a ditch for yourself. 

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn02/bills-qb-nate-peterman-im-definitely-going-to-be-ready--20171201

"At first I came out strong and was in a rhyme, and then, I definitely look back and think I was pressing too much. Sometimes you’ve got to just take sacks. Sometimes you have to wait on things," he said.

This was my exact take on Peterman in his performance. I'm glad he identified the source of the breakdown on his own.

Peterman came out trying to be the Anti-Tyrod by showing people that he could get the ball downfield. It was his first game and he was eager to impress and standout in a good way. Flat out. That performance is not indicative of how he QBs. He needed to take what the defense gave him more instead of forcing the issue and if need be just take the sack and make good on the next series.

He understands where he went wrong and will have a far less flawed performance next time around. He'll be a whole lot better.

Still very happy the Bills have Peterman. He just needs another opportunity to show what he's got.

On 11/17/2017 at 7:45 PM, zow2 said:

NFL.com gave Peterman a draft grade last April of 5.7 and Mahomes was 5.8.   To be rated that close and get drafted 161 slots later.....  I don't believe in jinxes but I think he is a steal.

What happened to Nate 2 weeks ago probably won't happen again. He's going to continue to learn and develop.  He'll be a good backup for us.  Now if we can just overhaul our oline? That's the question. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, BurpleBull said:

Can you imagine this scenario:

Nathan Peterman returns to the starting lineup, wins meaningful games during the playoffs battle, gets the Bills into the playoffs and wins at least one playoff game.

The once 5-0 Chiefs, who traded its 2018 1st round pick loses more games and fail to make the playoffs.

The Bills coaches would probably almost certainly give Peterman their vote of confidence heading into the next season.

Bills are probably selecting just before pick 20 and don't have to use a draft pick on QB.

If this happens, the Bills won the draft-day trade hands down. Still a big believer that Patrick Mahomes will prove to have been picked several picks too early.

No!

Imagine this scenario:

Nathan Peterman returns to the starting lineup, wins meaningful games during the playoffs battle, gets the Bills into the playoffs and wins at least one playoff game.

The once 5-0 Chiefs, who traded its 2018 1st round pick loses more games and fail to make the playoffs.

The Bills coaches would probably almost certainly give Peterman their vote of confidence heading into the next season. Bills are probably selecting just before pick 20 and don't have to use a draft pick on QB.

If this plays out, the Bills won the draft-day trade hands down. Still a big believer that Patrick Mahomes will prove to have been picked several picks too early.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No!

Edited by BurpleBull

8 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I think Mahomes will be terrible so I’ll just sit back and look handsome.

Don't know about terrible but I think he will be easier to contain than people believe he will be. 

I think him being picked where he was will be questioned in time by Chief fans.

The Tre'Davious White pick will prove to be the better value at 27 than Mahomes at 10.

On 11/17/2017 at 8:55 PM, BurpleBull said:

I had one wish, it was that the Bills didn't do anything drastic and select Patrick Mahomes with their 10th overall pick. The irony, the Chiefs, the Bills trading partners would turn around and use that acquired pick to draft Patrick Mahomes. Problem off of my hands personally, because personally, I didn't want the Bills to draft Mahomes in any round.

My other one wish: That the Bills would say, "to hell with what the draft experts and critics think/will say" and draft Nathan Peterman in the 2nd rd. I really believed in what he brought to the table and could be a welcomed surprise. So why not draft high and get your man?  Of course he got drafted much later, but things still worked out.

I really think by the end of next season you'll be thinking something completely different. Mahomes is going to be good. I can pretty much guarantee it from everything that he was in college, to be coached by Andy Reid, to having a year to sit behind Alex Smith & learn all he can, and from everything that's been reported about him in practice.

The guy is legit. Not sure when he sees play as a starter, but once he has a full season under his belt, a lot of teams are going to wish they targeted him in the draft.

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I really think by the end of next season you'll be thinking something completely different. Mahomes is going to be good. I can pretty much guarantee it from everything that he was in college, to be coached by Andy Reid, to having a year to sit behind Alex Smith & learn all he can, and from everything that's been reported about him in practice.

The guy is legit. Not sure when he sees play as a starter, but once he has a full season under his belt, a lot of teams are going to wish they targeted him in the draft.

Mahomes can make all kinds of throws across the body but that's not enough to overcome what NFL defenses will throw at him to take away his strength. Under duress, Mahomes is another QB. Being coached by Andy Reid doesn't remove flaws that are part of a QB's makeup. Wait till he faces the best defenses game in and game out, by the end of next season you'll be thinking differently of him unless just choosing to be stubborn.

Mahomes can't just be good picked at 10, he has to be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Um...first Congratulation from a Kansas City fan.  Glad to see you all back in the postseason.  Good luck vs Jax.  Second...I know you all are Bills fans and lead busy lives, but if you happen to have a chance to watch Mahomes from today in a rebroadcast of the game on NFL network or something, you might cry seeing what you passed up.