Tyrod Played Vary Well Last Night

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I agree yards is a bogus argument if you look at it on a single game basis. That is not my point.

My point is that Tyrod has a ceiling - period. Look at his whole body of work. There are some very consistent and disturbing issues beyond the yards:

1) He cant win from behind

2) He is consistantly bad on the road

3) His play is very much predicated on the existence of a strong run game and he struggles to win without it (unless others around him - especially the D have an exceptional game)

4) He is never going to win because he never has won in an offensive shootout game

5) Like many other mediocre QBs in front of him over the past 17 years the excuses remain consistent - he doesnt have the talent needed around him, the line did not pay well enough, the receivers dont get enough separation, etc.

Do I think the Bills can and will get to the playoffs with him - yes, probably but under the very difficult condition that the rest of the team - especially the D must play exceptional football.

Very good post but sadly I don't see playoffs this year with Tyrod at QB. He is the main reason we get the stacked box and I expect all the teams will be hard pressed not to duplicate it.

Very good post but sadly I don't see playoffs this year with Tyrod at QB. He is the main reason we get the stacked box and I expect all the teams will be hard pressed not to duplicate it.

You act as if this was the 1st stacked box they faced all season. The OL was man handled all night long and you somehow attribute that to Tyrod. It's ridiculous reasoning.

You might be right. Doing the same thing though wasnt going to change the results. You had to try something totally different.

We had pass protection problems but it was obvious watching the game that we were far more successful passing than running. I blame Dennison for not adjusting.

We had a problem up front last night because they DID NOT respect our receiving core. They were able to stack the box, stuff the run and rush 5+ every play. Our line could not handle the rush 1-1 at all. He is not the reason we had problems last night.

Pass protection problems indeed. We had no pass protection.

We completed 29 passes. Saying we had no run game is accurate but we did have a semblance of a pass game and Dennison needed to roll with that. Worst play of the night was a run up the gut on 2nd and 1.

I'm being repetitive, but who here isn't? Explain what you see when you look at these numbers :

New York - Week 1 : The running backs gain 154 yards at 4.47 yards a carry. Taylor throws for 224 yards, runs for 38 yards.
New York - Week 9 : The running backs gain 28 yards at 1.75 yards a carry. Taylor throws for 285 yards, runs for 35 yards

It's like a Rorschach Test. If you see Taylor as the problem here, you may have an issue - with some fancy psychology name no doubt......

OK, lets try this another way.

I didn't say he was THE problem. Hell we have problems on top of problems. He is however a CRITICAL problem as he impacts every offensive play since he touches every snap. Nobody is saying shoot the kid and bury the body but elite play from the QB position is mandatory.

As far as the numbers go, I say they prove the point. When the running game is in the dumpster, who ya gonna turn to, and if, as an OC you don't dial up more passes it's not because you're stupid. It's because you see and coach these guys every day and know the skill level isn't there.

I agree yards is a bogus argument if you look at it on a single game basis. That is not my point.

My point is that Tyrod has a ceiling - period. Look at his whole body of work. There are some very consistent and disturbing issues beyond the yards:

1) He can’t win from behind

2) He is consistantly bad on the road

3) His play is very much predicated on the existence of a strong run game and he struggles to win without it (unless others around him - especially the D have an exceptional game)

4) He is never going to win because he never has won in an offensive shootout game

5) Like many other mediocre QB’s in front of him over the past 17 years the excuses remain consistent - he doesn’t have the talent needed around him, the line did not pay well enough, the receivers don’t get enough separation, etc.

Do I think the Bills can and will get to the playoffs with him - yes, probably but under the very difficult condition that the rest of the team - especially the D must play exceptional football.

I'm really curious : Did you see the last Miami game? It wasn't that long ago - only nine TT starts back. That game tramples on a couple more of your "impossibilities"

(1) Taylor brought the Bills back three separate times from fourteen points down, leading a late game drive & throwing a fourth down TD pass to take the first lead with 1:20 left

(4) And wasn't it the epitome of offensive shootouts? Between the two teams : 1100 yards of offense & over sixty points.

Now you can say the Bills didn't win in the end, which would be a semi-legitimate bit of weaseling if you're that desperate. And of course Taylor got pretty good protection from his line that game - not as good as Dak gets every game - but still pretty good. And he had two NFL-grade receivers playing in the Miami contest, which was a rare enough occurrence in 2016.

But, heck, now I'm getting into "excuses" aren't I?

Edited by grb

Bashing Tyrod unrelentlessly does nothing at this point.

We lost against the Jets in the trenches like all the times they dominated us years ago with Rex Ryan's teams. In fact last night was eerie shades of 2011 when the same jets came to Buffalo and dominated the us the last time we were 5-2. Went on to lose 7 in a row sadly.

Now if Taylor isn't LARGE in theses next few games then it's time to start thinking QB change again, but for right now he's still the guy and we have to believe he'll continue to be LARGE with Benjamin and Clay in the lineup. Talk about two beasts that can get downfield and be physical.

OK, lets try this another way.

I didn't say he was THE problem. Hell we have problems on top of problems. He is however a CRITICAL problem as he impacts every offensive play since he touches every snap. Nobody is saying shoot the kid and bury the body but elite play from the QB position is mandatory.

As far as the numbers go, I say they prove the point. When the running game is in the dumpster, who ya gonna turn to, and if, as an OC you don't dial up more passes it's not because you're stupid. It's because you see and coach these guys every day and know the skill level isn't there.

Why isnt it because your stupid? When something isnt working and you keep doing it, its because you are stupid. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Aside from making a playoff push, my theory on why Beane also pulled the trigger on the Benjamin trade is because he wants to see what Taylor can do with a full compliment off weapons to work with so he can properly be evaluated the rest of the season.

And whether we go to the playoffs or not, obviously they'll closely evaluate the QB situation and decide to stick with Taylor, unleash the beast (Peterman) or possibly draft another QB.

We completed 29 passes. Saying we had no run game is accurate but we did have a semblance of a pass game and Dennison needed to roll with that. Worst play of the night was a run up the gut on 2nd and 1.

He did! We called 16 runs all night excluding Tyrod's 2 attempts at backing into the endzone. We called 44 pass plays (though 4 ended up as TT scrambles).

We were 73% pass calls last night. That is not the way this team is built to play.

I actually give Tyrod big credit for completing 29 passes. He had protection 3 times all game by my count.

And the Tyrod people try to deflect to the OC. It wasn't either's fault last night. We got bullied on the lines.

If you truly believe the OC had nothing to do with that hot mess last night, you either don't understand the first thing about football or you are related to Dennison. He's the one who determines the lineup, who draws up the plays, who calls the plays, who makes the substitutions. No doubt he has major input on the O roster & who the assistant coach hires as well. I don't see how you can absolve Dennison. In fact, McD has to bear a major piece himself for hiring him in the first place, and for not taking a much more active role in the offense in the face of Dennison's incompetence.

Bashing Tyrod unrelentlessly does nothing at this point.

We lost against the Jets in the trenches like all the times they dominated us years ago with Rex Ryan's teams. In fact last night was eerie shades of 2011 when the same jets came to Buffalo and dominated the us the last time we were 5-2. Went on to lose 7 in a row sadly.

This is one of the best posts in the thread. Easier to blame Quarterback or play caller seemingly than face reality. We got bullied in both trenches. When that happens in this league you lose. Edited by GunnerBill

I see a lot of people criticizing Tyrod as part of the problem last night but I think he played very well and he is improving. There are very few QB's in the league that are going to be able to win a game when the offensive line is being dominated the way ours was last night. When Tyrod had time he was making good decisions and completing passes. He was passing over the middle and did a great job of looking off the defender on the Zay Jones TD pass. He is definitely improving as a QB and as bad as the line was he was keeping us in it early. We had two likely scoring drives stopped because of fumbles by Matthews and O'Leary. I see a lot of people criticizing Tyrod but I think it is more people ready to jump on him as soon as we lose rather than what he actually did on the field. He played a good game and I really don't know what game the people who were criticizing him were watching.

Anyone putting blame on TT last night is doing so for one of two reasons:

1. They cant get past their own ego about wanting to be right about TT and their biased hate of him.

2. They actually dont really understand football when they watch it.

Its more than fair for people to still not be sold on him, not believe he is the right guy moving forward, or to still want to draft/sign a QB. I am not talking about those opinions. I am talking SPECIFICALLY about the evaluation of the game last night.

What I cant believe is that TT walked out that game in one piece. Not only did this kid get crushed on those sacks by a joke of an OL, he got leveled on MANY plays where he stood tough and took the hit to deliver the ball, many of which he did (and a bunch were dropped). This kid is one of the toughest players I have seen at QB in a long time from any team. Week in and week out, he stands in there despite not being a big frame and takes a big hit to deliver the ball. He has no flinch in him, tough as nails, and he gets right back up and does it again.

You got to have a cold heart to not root for this guy man, he puts it all on the line out there. I get it if people dont think hes the answer, but last nights debacle was more about how he was the ONLY guy on the field there to play. His receivers dropped so many passes, his OL was a revolving door and gave him no help, his guys fumbled the ball away killing drives, and the defense was terrible in every single phase of it.

Honestly I almost just feel like blocking anyone who wants to pin the game on him last night because your opinion isnt worth reading anymore. Again, I am not talking about people who aren't sold on him or think we need to address QB still, thats a fair opinion. I am talking about those pinning the loss on him last night as a major reason.

Edited by Alphadawg7

If you truly believe the OC had nothing to do with that hot mess last night, you either don't understand the first thing about football or you are related to Dennison. He's the one who determines the lineup, who draws up the plays, who calls the plays, who makes the substitutions. No doubt he has major input on the O roster & who the assistant coach hires as well. I don't see how you can absolve Dennison. In fact, McD has to bear a major piece himself for hiring him in the first place, and for not taking a much more active role in the offense in the face of Dennison's incompetence.

Does he have to make the blocks?

Unless the answer is "yes" his share of the blame is minimal. His guys all got their manhoods handed to them by their direct opponent. That is on players, not coaches.

Edited by GunnerBill