The Week 8 Jets-game-in-promising-seasons curse

2008, Week 8: The 5-2 Bills are destroyed, 26-17 (it was worse than the score indicates), by the Jets. The Bills turn it over 3 times, Edwards is sacked 5 times, and the Bills accumulate under 300 yards of offense.

2011, Week 8: The 5-2 Bills are destroyed, 27-11, by the Jets. The Bills were down 27-3 until they scored a garbage time TD with a couple of minutes to go. 3 turnovers for the Bills, and the Bills accumulate under 300 yards of offense.

2017, Week 8: The 5-2 Bills are destroyed, 34-21, by the Jets. The Bills scored two garbage time TDs in the last four minutes. 3 turnovers by the Bills, and Taylor is sacked seven times. Due to a stellar garbage time performance, however (onside kick recovery!), they manage to accumulate 307 yards.

In 2008 and and 2011, complete meltdowns ensued after the losses to the Jets.

(And don't get me started on the second Jets game of 2008--the Losman fumble game.)

• Like (+1) 1

Yep I was concerned about this too all week knowing our history with the Jets after a 5-2 start and the scary thing about last night is this year's Jets team is nowhere close to the 2008 and 2011 teams that demolished us and sent us into a tailspin.

History very well may be repeating itself with this team given the upcoming schedule and if it does I'm convinced the playoff drought hits 20+ years because McD and Beane are bound for failure if this season goes of the rails after such a promising start.

Yep I was concerned about this too all week knowing our history with the Jets after a 5-2 start and the scary thing about last night is this year's Jets team is nowhere close to the 2008 and 2011 teams that demolished us and sent us into a tailspin.

History very well may be repeating itself with this team given the upcoming schedule and if it does I'm convinced the playoff drought hits 20+ years because McD and Beane are bound for failure if this season goes of the rails after such a promising start.

I will say this: the Jets are better than I anticipated. I live in NY and see a lot of them, and they've been in every game except for the Raiders and first Bills games. They could easily be 6-3.

I will say this: the Jets are better than I anticipated. I live in NY and see a lot of them, and they've been in every game except for the Raiders and first Bills games. They could easily be 6-3.

They are no doubt a solid team and McCown is having a career year at 38 but I still don't see them as a serious playoff contender when it's all said and done.

Biggest concern for the Bills is we seem to be a completely different team on the road vs in Buffalo. And given the remaining schedule not sure how we are going to win on a road if we can't win these type of games against the likes of the jets and bengals.

By mid-season the pretenders typically begin to flame out as more teams have film on them and their lack of talent and/or depth is exposed.

This team has heart, but it's not going to make up for a lack of talent at QB, on the OL, or a pass rush.

Edited by BillsVet

If it’s not the Jets its someone else in the division just destroying us. Sadly I fear this team is not built to be competitive to win in the division. We will be lucky to be .500 in the division games. Time will tell.

I pointed out last night this team is 3-7 in their last 10 division game and one of those was the game in NE last year when they were starting Jacoby Brissett which obviously has an asterisk next to it given the circumstn

If you can't win division games you aren't obviously going very far in this league and certainly not going to be in the mix for a wildcard spot let alone the division title.

Well, the silver lining for me is, normally past the midway point we are missing several key players which contributes to our meltdown, but now we go into the Saints game probably getting Gaines and Clay back with a huge bonus in KB.

Now, let's see how much that matters.

Won't matter at all if Jets just put out the recipe for how to exploit our oline.

Just like they gave everyone the formula to beat our spread offense in 2011 (and we never adjusted)

Well, the silver lining for me is, normally past the midway point we are missing several key players which contributes to our meltdown, but now we go into the Saints game probably getting Gaines and Clay back with a huge bonus in KB.

Now, let's see how much that matters.

Won't matter at all if Jets just put out the recipe for how to exploit our oline.

Just like they gave everyone the formula to beat our spread offense in 2011 (and we never adjusted)

Plus few teams have a front seven a good as the Jets front seven.

Well...I wasn't one to call the Jets garbage because of their record. I've always thought the weakest part of their defense has been their secondary...until this year, that is, when they drafted back to back safeties. Their front seven has been awesome...particularly due to the way the draft has fallen to them the last few years. They were able to jettison Richardson to Seattle and haven't missed a beat.

It's not an understatement to say this is a huge test for McDermott. Past Bills teams didn't bounce back. Let's see if the Process is different.

Yep. It really helps the next game is at home. I expect them to play well. If it was in NO I would expect a loss.

Funny though how personally I thought the Tampa game would be a good barameter and we won. Then I immediately thought the Raider game would be a good barometer and we beat them by 20. Then I immediately thought the Jet game would be a good barometer and we got shellacked. And now I think New Orleans may be. That's the way the NFL has been this year.

Yep. It really helps the next game is at home. I expect them to play well. If it was in NO I would expect a loss.

Funny though how personally I thought the Tampa game would be a good barameter and we won. Then I immediately thought the Raider game would be a good barometer and we beat them by 20. Then I immediately thought the Jet game would be a good barometer and we got shellacked. And now I think New Orleans may be. That's the way the NFL has been this year.

I'll stand by what I said earlier: the Bills had to win last night if they were to make the playoffs. I know that sounds extreme, and no one would be happier than me if I turn out to be wrong, but I look at their upcoming schedule and think, "ugh." Payton has coached against the Bills twice and absolutely destroyed them. He also played against McDermott defenses in Carolina 10 times, and averaged 27 points per game against them. Carolina won 6 out of those ten, but basically couldn't stop Brees except on two occasions.

EDIT: As DC in Philly, McDermott faced Payton's Saints once, and the Philly D gave up 48 points. So in 11 faceoffs against Payton, McDermott's defenses have given up an average of 29 points.

Edited by dave mcbride

I'll stand by what I said earlier: the Bills had to win last night if they were to make the playoffs. I know that sounds extreme, and no one would be happier than me if I turn out to be wrong, but I look at their upcoming schedule and think, "ugh." Payton has coached against the Bills twice and absolutely destroyed them. He also played against McDermott defenses in Carolina 10 times, and averaged 27 points per game against them. Carolina won 6 out of those ten, but basically couldn't stop Brees except on two occasions.

EDIT: As DC in Philly, McDermott faced Payton's Saints once, and the Philly D gave up 48 points. So in 11 faceoffs against Payton, McDermott's defenses have given up an average of 29 points.

Yeah that bend but not break usually breaks against the few players in the league like a Brees who can pick you apart. I'm thinking it's going to be a high scoring game. Probably the team with the least turnovers wins.