More “painful” layoffs coming for espn

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

B$PN, the Worldwide Leader in Lies and Misinformation...

They also operate with an agenda...

They aren't trustworthy. Even after Deflategate was proven to be a made up scheme by the NFL, Colts, and Ravens, B$PN continued to spread lies. We all knew they were lying. They knew, that we knew they were lying. They lied anyway...during primetime. They apologized for lying at 1AM. It took Mort 2 years to apologize for lying. THAT was the beginning of the end of B$PN...

I grew up in Ellington, CT, 40 minutes away from Bristol. I can't wait for this dung heap to go belly up! Except for Suzy Kolber. I'm with Broadway Joe! She can lie to me all night long...

So....is your point that you are an original Patriot fan and not just a Bandwagon Fan? 

10DFEE2B-ABAE-409A-9F8F-DADBFD3E3334.jpeg

I had the pleasure of showing that around Boston when I was there last summer. It was not well received by the locals. 

On 10/27/2017 at 6:25 AM, H2o said:

I stopped watching ESPN outside of live sporting events and College Gameday as soon as they jumped on the political hype train. They, their producers and so called reporters, have no one to blame but themselves. Sports are a lot of people's haven away from the rest of the bullsh*t going on in this world. When you start crossing over that boundary by trying to force feed people the bullsh*t they are looking to avoid there will be a backlash. They still don't get it. Whatever happens is exactly what they had coming.

Same here.

In fact, I no longer watch pre-game shows (any network) and turn the game on at 1:02pm. I just don't want to hear the garbage anymore.

I still enjoyed Mike & Mike, I admit.....and in their infinite wisdom they killed it. OK, that was the one thing I went there for, and they let me off the hook. 

The world changed. They owned it at one point, but they can’t make all the new competition go away. 

19 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's extremely clear that  one subset of the population seems to be particularly up in arms about ESPN. I'm curious if there's a corollary here to opinions on bathrooms, water fountains, or voting rights...

It really hurts your feelings that some people don't want an agenda shoved down their throats while watching sports, huh?

The race, sexist card is always waiting to be played by some.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Would you still be making racists and sexists innuendos?

Not sure what that means, but I'm asked to put up with your people's agenda on a constant basis, and I don't piss and moan because it makes me uncomfortable. Maybe you should just listen and see what they have to say. Osi Umenyiora did a great piece on BBC about it.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not sure what that means, but I'm asked to put up with your people's agenda on a constant basis, and I don't piss and moan because it makes me uncomfortable. Maybe you should just listen and see what they have to say. Osi Umenyiora did a great piece on BBC about it.

Not sure what that means?

Explain your original post....especially the "I'm curious if there's a corollary here to opinions on bathrooms, water fountains, or voting rights..." part.

20 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's extremely clear that  one subset of the population seems to be particularly up in arms about ESPN. I'm curious if there's a corollary here to opinions on bathrooms, water fountains, or voting rights...

ESPN has declined mostly due to technology and major changes in TV viewing habits in America. Particularly with millennials, who will pay for internet connectivity but aren't interested in paying for content. Similar to the way they aren't willing to pay for recorded music. If in your opinion a " subset" of the population is up in arms about ESPN , they don't have much to do with ESPNs difficulties. They are more likely not fond of what ESPN has morphed into in an attempt to drive ratings. Personally, I liked the old ESPN. I want to hear stories about sports , not political commentary suggesting what liberal ideas I should agree with. Their discussions of protests and Kaepernick have grown unbearable to me, so I don't watch as many of their shows anymore. I don't know if that falls into any pattern or not. Fwiw , I think bathrooms should be separated according to genitalia not feelings. I think all drinking fountains are disgusting cesspools of germs and I do not use them. I think all US citizens age 18 and above should have the right to vote, but should also be required to show a government ID to do so. Give all citizens a free government issued ID. You have to show one to buy a six pack , so not crazy to show one at the polling place at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ricko1112 said:

B$PN, the Worldwide Leader in Lies and Misinformation...

They also operate with an agenda...

They aren't trustworthy. Even after Deflategate was proven to be a made up scheme by the NFL, Colts, and Ravens, B$PN continued to spread lies. We all knew they were lying. They knew, that we knew they were lying. They lied anyway...during primetime. They apologized for lying at 1AM. It took Mort 2 years to apologize for lying. THAT was the beginning of the end of B$PN...

I grew up in Ellington, CT, 40 minutes away from Bristol. I can't wait for this dung heap to go belly up! Except for Suzy Kolber. I'm with Broadway Joe! She can lie to me all night long...

BS about it being made up - ball handler was seen with balls in bathroom before game against rules.  Only NE ball lickers in New England believe it was all made up.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

BS about it being made up - ball handler was seen with balls in bathroom before game against rules.  Only NE ball lickers in New England believe it was all made up.

It’s a fact. Denying it means you have a problem. I don’t think it was Brady as much as the HC (Head Cheater). 

I mean....look at the charts above and try to explain that. Maybe some about passing, but more about fumbling. Duh.

10 hours ago, vincec said:

That era is gone. Politics are so pervasive and acrimonious now that they are in practically every single facet of American life. There is no refuge any more.

I agree that politics are pervasive, but there seems to be a segment of ESPN's market which views ESPN's commentary on politics to be tilted in a general direction.  I don't think they have to walk away from that...they just need to recognize the market dynamics.  It's OK for ESPN to be political.  It creates a new market niche for another sports broadcaster.   After all, we all have a political persuasion, so lets be transparent.  It also means that the sports fan needs to get used to going to more than one place to get their sports news.  For decades, that was not the case.  ESPN was the source and people got used to that.  We are seeing a massive shift in the sports broadcasting landscape and with the onset of streaming broadcasts, we are just at the beginning.  

7 minutes ago, dulles said:

I agree that politics are pervasive, but there seems to be a segment of ESPN's market which views ESPN's commentary on politics to be tilted in a general direction.  I don't think they have to walk away from that...they just need to recognize the market dynamics.  It's OK for ESPN to be political.  It creates a new market niche for another sports broadcaster.   After all, we all have a political persuasion, so lets be transparent.  It also means that the sports fan needs to get used to going to more than one place to get their sports news.  For decades, that was not the case.  ESPN was the source and people got used to that.  We are seeing a massive shift in the sports broadcasting landscape and with the onset of streaming broadcasts, we are just at the beginning.  

OK how? Morally? Sure, whatever.....  If you are a publicly owned for profit business, it’s a bad idea to piss off the half of the population that doesn’t agree with you. Stockholders have a right to be angry. 

If you go to Fox or CNN for people who agree with your slant, that’s fine. They have decided to go after their half of the market. ESPN could have gone after the WHOLE market, except they went all stupid. 

On 11/11/2017 at 8:08 PM, dulles said:

Would that be the segment that isn't completely brain dead?   It's not like ESPN (or virtually any other news outlet) is subtle about their political views.

ESPN has every right to preach politics.  And people have every right to pretend that has nothing to do with round after round of layoffs.  

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Would that be the segment that isn't completely brain dead?   It's not like ESPN (or virtually any other news outlet) is sublet about their political views.

ESPN has every right to preach politics.  And people have every right to pretend that has nothing to do with round after round of layoffs.  

You people don't have nearly as much power or economic influence as you think you do. All companies lay off people, even successful ones. If you're trying to chalk this up in a W column for political protest, I'd love to bet you on how long it takes them to start running stories on how great america is because now the middle class gets to pay for Tom Brady's tax cuts. Sadly, I don't think I'll ever be able to collect on that one. 

4 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

ESPN has declined mostly due to technology and major changes in TV viewing habits in America. Particularly with millennials, who will pay for internet connectivity but aren't interested in paying for content. Similar to the way they aren't willing to pay for recorded music. If in your opinion a " subset" of the population is up in arms about ESPN , they don't have much to do with ESPNs difficulties.

Correct. We haven't had cable in over 5 years, and more and more people are going that way. High quality sports video content used to be a huge edge for television, but over the last few years that content is much more readily available and accessible on the internet. There certainly isn't the demand to have as many cable channels as they do, and that content could be offloaded to online streaming which is far cheaper and less restrictive. Their talent has gone way downhill too. The people they put on in the afternoons are unbearable, and aren't up and coming talent. ESPN used to be the #1 place to catch sports news, but now by the time they air a story it's a day old, and I've already read 10 articles on it and watched all the interviews I need.

On 11/11/2017 at 9:49 PM, Augie said:

So....is your point that you are an original Patriot fan and not just a Bandwagon Fan? 

10DFEE2B-ABAE-409A-9F8F-DADBFD3E3334.jpeg

I had the pleasure of showing that around Boston when I was there last summer. It was not well received by the locals. 

Sure, but when the fumbles are all coming from 1 or 2 guys, special teams, etc... The Colts' footballs were also too low that night. The PSI was exactly where physics predicted it would be. Do you show everyone your picture of Bigfoot too? 

Also, I was a fan since 1976ish.. Besides, can you still call 26 years a "Bandwagon?" 

3 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

Sure, but when the fumbles are all coming from 1 or 2 guys, special teams, etc... The Colts' footballs were also too low that night. The PSI was exactly where physics predicted it would be. Do you show everyone your picture of Bigfoot too? 

Also, I was a fan since 1976ish.. Besides, can you still call 26 years a "Bandwagon?" 

You silly goofball! That’s so CUTE! 

23 hours ago, Limeaid said:

So, I guy in a bathroom can adjust 11 footballs to Brady's exact specifications, yet 12 men could only measure the pressure of 16 balls in 30 minutes? 12 from NE and 4 from Indy (3 of which were also illegally low.

The Colts' balls were also too low.

Brady testified under oath, but the NFL refused. 

The Well$' Report admitted there was no evidence of tampering. Ted Well$, the guy who "proved" that 2nd hand smoke is harmless...

The NFL promised to measure and release PSI information the following year. We have yet to see those results. Why is that? If there was ANY evidence that the cold doesn't affect PSI, the NFL would have bombarded us with those results.

Why did the NFL feed Mort the lies about 11 of 12?

Please... I suppose the Earth is flat? Are dinosaurs fake?

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

You silly goofball! That’s so CUTE! 

I think the 58 years of futility and 17 years of irrelevance have clouded you rational thinking...

On 11/11/2017 at 10:11 PM, BullBuchanan said:

My feelings are fine,  I'm just dead certain what the discussion would be if the shoe were on the other foot.

I've said it 100 times, I don't want any side of politics in my sports and entertainment.

On 11/12/2017 at 2:50 AM, BullBuchanan said:

You people don't have nearly as much power or economic influence as you think you do.

B3F-vjvCIAAc2Av.png