Controversial Calls from Week 6: NYJ TD and Rodgers Hit

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.footballzebras.com/2017/10/15/jets-lose-touchdown-ball-tight-replay-reversal/

Week 6: Patriots at Jets (video)

Jets tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins scored what appeared to be a clear touchdown. On review, not only was the touchdown reversed, the ball went to the Patriots on a touchback.

Seferian-Jenkins bobbles the ball at the 1-yard line and subsequently re-controls the ball. The bobble makes the ball a “loose ball” under the rules. Any loose ball (which includes passes) follows the catch process to establish possession. It may seem like an arbitrary designation, but this is a clear way to bookend loose ball calls by keeping all loose balls consistent, no matter how they occur. Seferian-Jenkins is going to the ground as he regains control of the ball, and lands out of bounds in the end zone. After landing, he is still struggling to demonstrate control of the ball, which is a determining factor if a player had “survived the ground,” establishing possession. This additional attempt to control takes the ball, still considered loose, out of bounds in the end zone, which is a touchback and loss of possession.

No, this is just wrong, he regains control before going to the ground and landing out of bounds. He may have been holding it against his body but who's to say that isn't possession? At the very least there was no proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that he didn't have it which is what you are supposed to have in order to overturn something that was already called.

Is that even physically possible in this instance? Guy is running full speed at a QB who is known to run with the ball, goes in for the tackle to bring him down, and is somehow supposed to just let up without even knowing if he threw the ball?

My point is I don't think he did anything that was unnecessary which would be why the rule you are stating doesn't apply

I've seen a lot of guys just shoving a QB in that position, and it's rarely called a foul. That seems like the MO these days. It's pretty unusual to see a defender wrap a QB up and take him to the ground like Barr did after he's thrown the ball, nowadays.

No, this is just wrong, he regains control before going to the ground and landing out of bounds. He may have been holding it against his body but who's to say that isn't possession? At the very least there was no proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that he didn't have it which is what you are supposed to have in order to overturn something that was already called.

I agree. They blew the call 100%.

I always cringe when a Bills player or player for any team playing NE (my two favorite teams) stretches out at the goal line. It never seems worth it, because if the ball moves AT ALL in your hands and you're an inch from that line instead of just lining up and sneaking the inch the next play the other team gets the ball at the 20.

Stupid rule, and it completely crushes your team. It almost always costs you the game as well, given how close these games are. It cost the Rams a game this season vs the Seahawks when Gurley fumbled it into the endzone trying to stretch across. It cost the Bills vs KC a couple years ago. Now it cost a team vs NE (don't care about the Jets at all, just sucks NE got a W)

It's explained in detail in this thread. Give it a read.

It was a legal hit

Its football and it is a contact sport. If Rodgers doesn't want to be tackled then maybe he should switch to basketball or baseball because there was nothing wrong with that hit

It was well explained why it was legal, why there was no flag, why there will be no suspension, fine, why multiple officiating expert corroborated the call. It's correct.

Just because Rodgers was mad it doesn't change it.

Not sure why it would be a challenge to understand why it was legal, but people argue from uninformed positions with misinterpretations of facts all the time.

What WILL happen, to prove the above, is the rule will be examined in the offseason and revised, because the nfl doesn't like losing star performers to fractured collarbones and I do assert that Barr could have dove around him. He knew he was getting an intimidation hit on the QB who had release the ball

It was well explained why it was legal, why there was no flag, why there will be no suspension, fine, why multiple officiating expert corroborated the call. It's correct.

Not sure why it would be a challenge to understand why it was legal, but people argue from uninformed positions with misinterpretations of facts all the time.

What WILL happen, to prove the above, is the rule will be examined in the offseason and revised, because the nfl doesn't like losing star performers to fractured collarbones and I do assert that Barr could have dove around him. He knew he was getting an intimidation hit on the QB who had release the ball

Exactly. When I saw him to tell me to read it, I thought I miss read it but I read it right.

The play looked clean and by rule it was clean, so not sure why a lot of fans think it was dirty.

Edited by billsfan11

It was a legal hit

Its football and it is a contact sport. If Rodgers doesn't want to be tackled then maybe he should switch to basketball or baseball because there was nothing wrong with that hit

Wow, an internet tough guy.

Exactly. When I saw him to tell me to read it, I thought I miss read it but I read it right.

The play looked clean and by rule it was clean, so not sure why a lot of fans think it was dirty.

People think it was dirty because he could have let up on the hit. But hitting QBs is their job and within the rules you get as many as you can to try and win at football

And that's exactly why it was illegal.

It was legal. It wasn't late. It was not helmet to helmet. He got hit. He got driven to the ground and he got hurt. You know what that's called? A hit with an unfortunate outcome for the QB. It's part of the game and there was nothing wrong with it.

It was legal. It wasn't late. It was not helmet to helmet. He got hit. He got driven to the ground and he got hurt. You know what that's called? A hit with an unfortunate outcome for the QB. It's part of the game and there was nothing wrong with it.

You're wrong. Go read the rule, which is posted in full up-thread.

Wow, an internet tough guy.

Not at all actually, just proving my point. I played hockey and football my whole life, I have no sympathy for players crying over a perfectly legal hit, especially when you are making like 25 mil per year

Yep. He seems to be getting a little defensive that he wasn't correct in saying it was a dirty hit.

Nothing wrong with the hit at all.