Going to enjoy some Bourbon today

Fan in Chicago

I used to be a single malt Scotch guy till quite recently. A friend introduced me to Bourbon and we made a trip in July to Lousville. Learning about Kentucky Bourbon and enjoying the various ones - Angels Envy, Evan Williams, Bulliet etc. made me start appreciating Bourbon a lot. Having a large party this evening and all of those who went on the Bourbon trail with me will be present. Going to try Buffalo Trace and Jefferson's small batch today.

For no good reason, I thought I would post this and see if there are other Kentucky Bourbon fans out there.

I used to be a single malt Scotch guy till quite recently. A friend introduced me to Bourbon and we made a trip in July to Lousville. Learning about Kentucky Bourbon and enjoying the various ones - Angels Envy, Evan Williams, Bulliet etc. made me start appreciating Bourbon a lot. Having a large party this evening and all of those who went on the Bourbon trail with me will be present. Going to try Buffalo Trace and Jefferson's small batch today.

For no good reason, I thought I would post this and see if there are other Kentucky Bourbon fans out there.

Some of the better single barrel bourbons are good, but I'm a hard core single malt scotch guy.

Obviously the 2 are related though, and if you like one, you'll probably like the other.

I grew up on Old Crow and Jim Bean. I mixed it with sprite or 7 up.

Fast forward to 1976 ( for economic reasons ) I switched to Kentucky Delux and or Kentucky Tavern.

Fast forward to 2000,I got drinks on the house by one of my Dad's friend of Makers Mark. It sure spoiled me.

Fast forward to 2008,I changed to vodka to decrease my sugar intake.

I miss Makers Mark.

Have some in my honor.

I'm a (nearly) lifelong bourbon drinker. But I am NOT a bourbon "snob". One of the reasons I like bourbon so much is, most of it is very good. While I love to try some of the newer limited releases and "craft" products, most of the value standbys are darn good, IMO.

I tend to keep a few bottles around the house. One big handle of an "everyday drinker" (which I was drinking FAR too much of, until very recently). And then a few higher-end (or at least higher-priced) bottles around, as well. When I get home, I'll typically pour myself one of the higher-priced bourbons. Then, if I continue to drink bourbon, I turn to the everyday bourbon.

For example, I just got in and poured some Bomberger's Declaration 107 proof, from Michter's. This is kind of a "mystery" bourbon, but let me tell you it's awesome. To me, it's one of the best I've ever had. There is virtually no information on the bottle and not much to be found online, either. At $45/bottle (about $100 on the secondary market), it's WAY out of my price range. But it's so good, I typically have some about 2-3 times a week.

Then I switch to the everyday stuff. Currently that is Wild Turkey 101, as it's been on sale for about $30 for a 1.75 handle. I like a higher proof product (as I love my bourbon over ice), and WT 101 is a quality bourbon, aged for about 6 years, or so.

Like I said, I've been drinking bourbon and Tennessee whiskey all my adult live. And for the past couple years, I have spend most of my free time reading/learning about American whiskey. I do NOT consider myself an expert, but I have a pretty good handle on things. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I may not be able to answer, but I can probably point you in the right direction.

BTW, my favorite bourbon blog is:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/

I would love to make my own. I know nothing of the process though.

Making good whiskey is an extremely expensive and time consuming process. That's why small distilleries have to charge so much for young, underaged, whiskey. IMO, bourbon becomes palatable after about four years. Using smaller barrels does not speed up the aging process--only the exchange of whiskey and wood, which is only one part of aging.

I'd be shocked if one could make homemade bourbon better than Evan Williams Black for $20/1.75L (though you could easily make a higher proof product). But I've had homemade whiskey that wasn't too bad, and it's always a pleasure to drink something "homemade", particularly if it's your own. But "better? Please.

I'm a (nearly) lifelong bourbon drinker. But I am NOT a bourbon "snob". One of the reasons I like bourbon so much is, most of it is very good. While I love to try some of the newer limited releases and "craft" products, most of the value standbys are darn good, IMO.

I tend to keep a few bottles around the house. One big handle of an "everyday drinker" (which I was drinking FAR too much of, until very recently). And then a few higher-end (or at least higher-priced) bottles around, as well. When I get home, I'll typically pour myself one of the higher-priced bourbons. Then, if I continue to drink bourbon, I turn to the everyday bourbon.

For example, I just got in and poured some Bomberger's Declaration 107 proof, from Michter's. This is kind of a "mystery" bourbon, but let me tell you it's awesome. To me, it's one of the best I've ever had. There is virtually no information on the bottle and not much to be found online, either. At $45/bottle (about $100 on the secondary market), it's WAY out of my price range. But it's so good, I typically have some about 2-3 times a week.

Then I switch to the everyday stuff. Currently that is Wild Turkey 101, as it's been on sale for about $30 for a 1.75 handle. I like a higher proof product (as I love my bourbon over ice), and WT 101 is a quality bourbon, aged for about 6 years, or so.

Like I said, I've been drinking bourbon and Tennessee whiskey all my adult live. And for the past couple years, I have spend most of my free time reading/learning about American whiskey. I do NOT consider myself an expert, but I have a pretty good handle on things. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I may not be able to answer, but I can probably point you in the right direction.

BTW, my favorite bourbon blog is:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/

Making good whiskey is an extremely expensive and time consuming process. That's why small distilleries have to charge so much for young, underaged, whiskey. IMO, bourbon becomes palatable after about four years. Using smaller barrels does not speed up the aging process--only the exchange of whiskey and wood, which is only one part of aging.

I'd be shocked if one could make homemade bourbon better than Evan Williams Black for $20/1.75L (though you could easily make a higher proof product). But I've had homemade whiskey that wasn't too bad, and it's always a pleasure to drink something "homemade", particularly if it's your own. But "better? Please.

I'm a Scotch drinker that's started drinking Bourbon a lot more the last couple of years. One reason is cost, much easier to find a very good Bourbon less than a meh Scotch. Two is quality, which falls into the cost thing. It's hard to find a quality Scotch inexpensive while there's a ton of quality Bourbons at very reasonable prices.

Dean, do you have a top 5 Bourbons that fall into each of the price ranges? High End-$75+, MidRange-$45+ and Everyday Stuff $20+

I like Makers but not the 46, Angels Envy, Jeffersons, Woodford Reserve, Duke and Willett. I also have an unopened Basil Hayden's sitting here. I don't mind Jim Beam Black but I'm really curious that you mentioned Wild Turkey. I've always pictured that as a "shot" whiskey. Is it really more Or just your go to? Thanks

I'm a Scotch drinker that's started drinking Bourbon a lot more the last couple of years. One reason is cost, much easier to find a very good Bourbon less than a meh Scotch. Two is quality, which falls into the cost thing. It's hard to find a quality Scotch inexpensive while there's a ton of quality Bourbons at very reasonable prices.

Dean, do you have a top 5 Bourbons that fall into each of the price ranges? High End-$75+, MidRange-$45+ and Everyday Stuff $20+

I like Makers but not the 46, Angels Envy, Jeffersons, Woodford Reserve, Duke and Willett. I also have an unopened Basil Hayden's sitting here. I don't mind Jim Beam Black but I'm really curious that you mentioned Wild Turkey. I've always pictured that as a "shot" whiskey. Is it really more Or just your go to? Than

I'm not really a "top X list" guy, but I can give you a quick rundown on what I like at various prices. By no means is this a complete list:

At the very inexpensive end I like Evan Williams Black---86 proof and about $20 for a handle. Good mixer (though I don't really drink cocktails much) and fine by itself. I think it's better than a lot of "craft" bourbon selling for $50/750ml.

If I'm REALLY broke, I can drink Benchmark. It's made by Buffalo Trace (I think) and is about $17 for a handle. It's only 80 proof. I don't like that it comes in a plastic bottle, though.

I also have been known to buy Heaven Hill's basic swill for about $10/750. It really doesn't suck--just not all that interesting.

Evan Williams 1783 is also very nice for about $13/750. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond 100 proof, is about $26/1.5L and is a good bang for the buck.

Wild Turkey 101 is a very underrated bourbon. I believe there was a quality drop several years ago, that may have lead many to think it was just swill. But then again, it could be because it was just known a a shot bourbon. Jimmy Russell, and now his son, Eddie, are great distillers.

One of the few Bourbons I don't really care for is Beam's basic white label. But I like most of their other stuff. Beam Black is quite good, IMO. I actually like Devil's Cut quite a bit---and even I'm surprised by that, as it is a bit of a gimmick. But it works.

I've always been a Maker's Mark guy, even though bourbon snobs like to snub their nose at it. I love 46, but understand why some don't.. Maker's Mark Cask Strength is probably one of my favorite bourbons---but pretty pricey. I'm currently in possession of a Single Barrel Maker's Mark Private Selection, designed by a local liquor store. It is outrageously good. Way too much for me to spend (I drink bourbon, I don't trade/invest), but I couldn't resist. If you aren't familiar with the Maker's Mark Private Selection program, you may want to check it out. It is a fabulous thing, IMO.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/meet-makers-mark-46-unique-private-barrel-program/

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/more-than-a-private-barrel-selection-new-makers-46-private-select-program-part-2/

K&L, one my absolute favorite liquor stores, just got in their special MM Private Select bottles:

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2017/10/17/the-first-of-two-new-makers-46-barrels.html

I started out drinking Jack Daniel's. Jack could be labeled "bourbon", it meets all the criteria, but chooses to call itself Tennessee Whiskey. Jack used to be much better than it is now. It was 90 proof, and (I believe) aged 7 years. Over the years it dropped the age statement and lowered the proof: First to 86 proof and then to 80. Nobody much noticed, as most people seem to mix it with Coke. The current JD isn't terrible, but it is overpriced for what it is, IMO, and a shadow of its former self. If you want to have a good Tennessee whiskey, I recommend George Dickel 90 proof (or any of their Select offerings).

Others I find to be great value bourbons (though their prices vary) are Eagle Rare, McKenna Single Barrel 10-year old (great bargain, IMO), Elmer T Lee Single Barrel, Larceny and Knob Creek.

At the high price end, Booker's, William Larue Weller, Col Taylor, Angel's Envy, George T Stagg (I have a bottle of Stagg Jr in the house) are among some I love, but never buy. Well, I used to buy Booker's, but haven't since the price increase. I will sometimes order these at a bar, though, sometimes, if the bump in price isn't too great.

Way back when, I would buy 12-year old Van Winkle Lot B. It was $50, or so. Now, if you can find it, it is north of $200. No thank you. I like a nice wheated bourbon, but I ain't paying that. Maker's, Weller, Larceny are all wheated, and are fine whiskies.

OK, I'm sure I missed a ton here, but I'm running out of steam.

Oh, one more thing. A rule-of-thumb, of sorts. While what's on the label isn't typically very important, Bottled in Bond (BiB) is something that rarely steers me wrong. These bourbons are at least four years old, stored in a gov't bonded warehouse and bottled at 100 proof. They are typically very good values, IMO.