Great read on the Chiefs' collegiate spread offense

YoloinOhio

Alex Smith is Benefiting From a Collegiate Spread Offense

http://twoqbs.com/qb-profiles/alex-smith-benefiting-from-collegiate-spread-offense/

Perhaps the more intriguing aspect of the Chiefs offense is not that Smith is producing, but how it is happening. Andy Reid has tweaked the offense to look like a collegiate spread offense. The passing game is centered around quick passing out of shotgun, manipulating space with offset double and tight bunch formations, and run-pass options. On the ground, the Chiefs mostly lean on inside zone, outside zone, and option plays. The offense features many of the same principals in college offenses such as Clemson, Oregon, and Oklahoma State. NFL teams operating under center more than college teams does not necessarily make the concepts any different.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Alex Smith is Benefiting From a Collegiate Spread Offense

http://twoqbs.com/qb-profiles/alex-smith-benefiting-from-collegiate-spread-offense/

....NEVER thought I'd see Andy go outside the box yet he did and Smith responded beautifully........Bflo?...we're in a shoe box and have to "trust the process" offensively"......YAWN...........

....NEVER thought I'd see Andy go outside the box yet he did and Smith responded beautifully........Bflo?...we're in a shoe box and have to "trust the process" offensively"......YAWN...........

so far, yes. In the future? I think we will be surprised.

I think we simply need to get some talent, via a new QB, receivers, anything that isnt Brandon Tate.

So basically just get a brand new offence in 1 year and be successful? Haha just teasing you sir, but just think this offence has a long way to go to be successful.

Tyrod isn't great but going to be hard to upgrade over him next year if they choose to bring in someone new

collegiate spread principles are obviously great .... there is no reason not run them unless you can bully the other team ... obviously ... in a competitive free agent landscape you can't count on always being the bully...

...oh and I guess if you have Tom Brady you don't need it...but again...not too reliable of a strategy (to just always have Tom Brady)

So basically just get a brand new offence in 1 year and be successful? Haha just teasing you sir, but just think this offence has a long way to go to be successful.

Tyrod isn't great but going to be hard to upgrade over him next year if they choose to bring in someone new

this is more of me trying to convince myself we didn't just Rex-ify the offense :lol:

It's gonna take some time, I agree. I want to restrain final judgement until the end of the season, but if things stay sour, I have a dream of bringing in Hue Jackson if he gets axed in Cleveland. Would fit with Sean's "former HC as coordinator" schtick.

this is more of me trying to convince myself we didn't just Rex-ify the offense :lol:

It's gonna take some time, I agree. I want to restrain final judgement until the end of the season, but if things stay sour, I have a dream of bringing in Hue Jackson if he gets axed in Cleveland. Would fit with Sean's "former HC as coordinator" schtick.

Hue Jackson would be an awesome hire I think.

He is not a good head coach of course, but did very well in Cinci with that Bengals offence.

Since he has left Cinci, that Bengals offence has gone down hill.

Based on what exactly though? Don't mean to be negative but just see no potential for the offence this year, or next.

It starts with the QB...the Bills MUST find a QB in the 2018 draft...the Tyrod Taylor experiment needs to be put to rest...until that happens we are just watching time go by.

Isn't that Gailey's offense?

exactly what I was thinking...which means it should be figured out in a month or so.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 2018 draft is all about the offense- QB, OL, and WR, at least in the first 3 rounds...the later round picks can be saved for defensive depth.

NFL teams operating under center more than college teams does not necessarily make the concepts any different

This, this and this again. People need to stop looking at pro-style v spread because the two are converging in many ways. People need to think about it in terms of concepts. I have been saying this for two years and I think it is fundamental to working out if guys will transition to the NFL (particularly QBs but OL, WR etc too).

I think it was / is unreasonable to believe everything would be fixed or improved in the first year of a TOTAL reboot....HC / OC-DC and most of the coaches / GM, nearly all the scouts and basically the entire front office / administration. They've done more in this short time than I would have thought possible. As for the Offense, let's keep in mind Beane wasn't even here, nor his staff, when the Draft happened and had no part in FA....yet, they still have done good things to improve the team, and yes I'm one who thinks the Sammy trade was good for the team - not necessarily the Offense. So, let's give Beane at least ONE off-season to see how he does in Draft and FA and what they do to bring in the players they need to be successful in their Offense. McD basically Drafted, and he did well with White, but Defense is his forte' so while Zay Jones has all of this year and most of next to show whether he is a legit player - let's give this new regime time, like more than 5 games before we say the Offense is dead-in-the-water for the next 2 years...

It starts with the QB...the Bills MUST find a QB in the 2018 draft...the Tyrod Taylor experiment needs to be put to rest...until that happens we are just watching time go by.

exactly what I was thinking...which means it should be figured out in a month or so.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 2018 draft is all about the offense- QB, OL, and WR, at least in the first 3 rounds...the later round picks can be saved for defensive depth.

I think it will be. We should be ok on defense even if Kyle retires by playing Thornton and Worthy. That means we can go offense high and get some defensive depth late.

collegiate spread principles are obviously great .... there is no reason not run them unless you can bully the other team ... obviously ... in a competitive free agent landscape you can't count on always being the bully...

...oh and I guess if you have Tom Brady you don't need it...but again...not too reliable of a strategy (to just always have Tom Brady)

....but it was a shocker coming from Andy.....he sure as hell caught Belichick off guard and BB could not counter........think you have to pick your spot(s) to use it versus steady diet...........

I think it was / is unreasonable to believe everything would be fixed or improved in the first year of a TOTAL reboot....HC / OC-DC and most of the coaches / GM, nearly all the scouts and basically the entire front office / administration. They've done more in this short time than I would have thought possible. As for the Offense, let's keep in mind Beane wasn't even here, nor his staff, when the Draft happened and had no part in FA....yet, they still have done good things to improve the team, and yes I'm one who thinks the Sammy trade was good for the team - not necessarily the Offense. So, let's give Beane at least ONE off-season to see how he does in Draft and FA and what they do to bring in the players they need to be successful in their Offense. McD basically Drafted, and he did well with White, but Defense is his forte' so while Zay Jones has all of this year and most of next to show whether he is a legit player - let's give this new regime time, like more than 5 games before we say the Offense is dead-in-the-water for the next 2 years...

It did however, seem very possible that the FO could do a reasonable job keeping the offense intact and maintains its production. Coupled with improving the defense that had been ruined by Rex. I believe that is what many fans expected or hoped would happen.