Wine Country Fires

Chef Jim

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a list of wineries destroyed/damaged. Don't know if it's complete or current.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/11/list-of-wineries-damaged-or-destroyed-in-the-wine-country-fires/

I'm happy to be focusing on wineries right now, because with hundreds reported missing I don't really want to think about the possible death toll.

That's a small and likely very incomplete list. There are tons of wineries up in the hills that have not been reached yet. We have visited a small winery three times and their tasting room is their dining room table. My friend called them and they said they've evacuated and have no idea where they stand because they've not been able to get back in.

This map shows the fires pretty well. Not sure how current it is though. To the east is Silverado Trail. Most of the wineries there are right along Siverado Trail which the main road to the east of 29. The fires are mostly up along the steeper parts where there are not too many wineries. Rutherford Hill is up above Silverado but not sure how they are. We were club members there and went several times but as I've mentioned I'm a Sonoma guy so don't know exactly where they are. Most of the wineries are to the west of Silverado in the valley along 29. The fires to the center along route 12 are a little more worrisome. That's Sonoma Valley AVA. That's where my friend's winery is and Imagery which someone mentioned earlier has burned. You can see that's more along the valley along Rt 12 at Glen Ellen and Kenwood. So hard to tell which wineries have been affected. I'm trying to find a map that shows the fires and where the wineries are. The fire further north of Santa Rosa does not have a lot of wineries. Most of them are further north around Healdsburg and Dry Creek Rd which peals off of the 101 just north of Healdsburg. They are a good distance from the fires. Weird sitting here looking at this. That area was our playground for nearly 10 years.

http://google.org/crisismap/google.com/2017-tubbs-fire

Edited by Chef Jim

Thanks Dean. There's still a lot of "we don't know yet". I've been crazy busy at work all week and just can't follow too closely. As I mentioned it looks like much of the fire are up in the mountains above the valleys. There are some vineyards up there but the wineries themselves are mostly on the valley floor. Most of the grapes in Napa are along the valley floor but there are patches of vineyards you see up in along the mountains. Sonoma is much more spread out and a lot less concentration of wineries in any particular area other than Sonoma Valley. Again it's a wait and see. I'm interested to see how many vines have been destroyed. Damn!

Thanks Dean. Some heartbreaking stories but on the whole not as bad as I feared for the wineries, probably largely due to Jims point. But the scope of the personal loss is staggering.

Air is terrible; its like Beijing here. All schools in North Bay closed tomorrow; going to take the family down to Half Moon Bay tomorrow for a night to get away from it and give the kids a chance to get outside.

Thanks Dean. Some heartbreaking stories but on the whole not as bad as I feared for the wineries, probably largely due to Jims point. But the scope of the personal loss is staggering.

Air is terrible; its like Beijing here. All schools in North Bay closed tomorrow; going to take the family down to Half Moon Bay tomorrow for a night to get away from it and give the kids a chance to get outside.

I talked to a client today who's friend's parents (95 and 100) didn't get out. :cry:

Now that I'm home I'm looking at fire maps. Two separate fires in Sonoma Valley AVA have met and are now one. ****!!

I talked to a client today who's friend's parents (95 and 100) didn't get out. :cry:

Now that I'm home I'm looking at fire maps. Two separate fires in Sonoma Valley AVA have met and are now one. ****!!

Were they the ones who'd been married 75 years?

Oh my did that make the news. Yes.

It did.

I've been following on the Weather Channel on TV,Fox News on TV and the Weather Channel on my Facebook feed plus other links too.

Just saddened at the worst.

It's just unfathomable what the death total will be at the end.

Ugh. There have been a bunch of those stories involving seniors. I sense the death toll will ultimately be much higher than the current reported figure.

I'm watching the game tonight instead of non-stop fire coverage like the last couple nights; hope it hasn't progressed any closer to the town center in Sonoma -- we spent a wonderful day there a few months back.

Tom Seaver evacuated his home/vineyard in Calistoga; it sounds like that area was under dire warning.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-legend-tom-seaver-flees-beloved-napa-home-winery-article-1.3558234

Ugh. There have been a bunch of those stories involving seniors. I sense the death toll will ultimately be much higher than the current reported figure.

I'm watching the game tonight instead of non-stop fire coverage like the last couple nights; hope it hasn't progressed any closer to the town center in Sonoma -- we spent a wonderful day there a few months back.

Tom Seaver evacuated his home/vineyard in Calistoga; it sounds like that area was under dire warning.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-legend-tom-seaver-flees-beloved-napa-home-winery-article-1.3558234

Sonoma Square was my favorite place. Wife would shop and Id sit outside the Ledson Hotel, drink champagne and people watch. We love Sonoma so much we want to retire there. Maybe nows the time to buy. 😏

Just read a story about a couple (65 and 70 years old) near Santa Rosa that survived by jumping in the neighbor's pool and staying there for 6 hours. The wife had put her phone in her shoes and placed them on the concrete next to the pool. When they finally got out the phone and shoes were melted.

The home of Charles Schulz was destroyed. His widow did get out.

Edited by Wacka

I just read that of the 31 identified dead, the youngest is 57. And reports that some remains are just ash and bone.

Just read a story about a couple (65 and 70 years old) near Santa Rosa that survived by jumping in the neighbor's pool and staying there for 6 hours.

I'm somewhat surprised that worked. In WWII, in Pforzheim, Dresden, and Tokyo, people tried to escape the firestorms by jumping into cisterns or public pools, and got parboiled.

I mean...yeah, as a last resort, I'm jumping in to a pool. But they were pretty lucky.

Sonoma Square was my favorite place. Wife would shop and Id sit outside the Ledson Hotel, drink champagne and people watch. We love Sonoma so much we want to retire there. Maybe nows the time to buy.

Not to be morbid, but I had the same thought. Buy a place in Sonoma and rent down here in Mill Valley until the kids are out of school.

Just read a story about a couple (65 and 70 years old) near Santa Rosa that survived by jumping in the neighbor's pool and staying there for 6 hours. The wife had put her phone in her shoes and placed them on the concrete next to the pool. When they finally got out the phone and shoes were melted.

The home of Charles Schulz was destroyed. His widow did get out.

That story was on the local news a couple nights ago. Apparently they used towels to cover their head in the pool to protect from the flames. Then after the fire passed they dried their clothes on the hot rocks before walking out and getting picked up by a sheriff's car. Crazy.

Not to be morbid, but I had the same thought. Buy a place in Sonoma and rent down here in Mill Valley until the kids are out of school.

That story was on the local news a couple nights ago. Apparently they used towels to cover their head in the pool to protect from the flames. Then after the fire passed they dried their clothes on the hot rocks before walking out and getting picked up by a sheriff's car. Crazy.

Amazing creativity in such short notice.

Sonoma Square was my favorite place. Wife would shop and Id sit outside the Ledson Hotel, drink champagne and people watch. We love Sonoma so much we want to retire there. Maybe nows the time to buy.

We were a little disappointed looking around Napa, but then found Sonoma Square and loved it! They were having some kind of festival and it was just great to sit with a beverage and watch all the people go by.