Fire Rico Now; be done with it.

Did you somehow expect the new offensive coordinator to run someone else's system? I don't follow your logic here.

I'm assuming you're talking about OL and the run game?

For two straight years we dominate and WIN games because of our running game / OL , what i remember correctly is our D being a Huge disappointment ,

I know we have a whole new coaching staff / system / playbook , I get all that !!! And give them a lot of credit for turning the defense around so quickly ,

But to go from being the BEST to the WORST in running the ball ( IMO ) should be a huge concern and needs to be looked at and addressed , especially because our passing game doesn't exactly strikes fear in to no matter who we play

...and do you somehow expect an OC to continually run HIS system without flexibility and adjustments that is hardly producing a CONSISTENT product weekly?...so rigid that it woefully fails to maximize the talents of existing personnel??..what's yOUR logic?...........

But Dennison has made adjustments and modified his system.

Out of the 24 run plays on Sunday, they ran just four outside zone runs. That's a drastic change from the first two weeks of the season. Because these players suck at it. Everything else was a power-trap or counter-trey run. That's an adjustment.

They have elminated the three-step drop which is a huge Shanahan/Kubiak/Dennison staple. Because Taylor sucks at it. Again, that's an adjustment.

Players have to execute better.

But Dennison has made adjustments and modified his system.

Out of the 24 run plays on Sunday, they ran just four outside zone runs. That's a drastic change from the first two weeks of the season. Because these players suck at it. Everything else was a power-trap or counter-trey run. That's an adjustment.

They have elminated the three-step drop which is a huge Shanahan/Kubiak/Dennison staple. Because Taylor sucks at it. Again, that's an adjustment.

Players have to execute better.

..the running game is going azz backwards and many have attributed it to Castillos' zone blocking scheme.....certainly there is a learning curve of adaptation....but realistically how long do you let that learning curve go before it is NOT progressing as thought and W's become the sacrifice?......isn't the profound sign of a good coaching staff to adjust its perceived systems to better fit the personnel available or do we say the system is great but the players suck?.....we could waste another two years because Wrecks said he needed "his guys" to make it work......and even with "his guys", he was an abysmal failure as expected from DAY ONE.......

The days that used to work doesn't anymore, why? Because teams know how to stop it, stop the run and make Tyrod be a QB. SMH

Is that how the Fish stopped him in game 16 last year?

This whole every problem with the team is because of the QB is lazy.

Last year the OLine was able to open gaping holes for McCoy and company despite stacked boxes. This year we change the blocking scheme and can't anymore. And this is the QBs fault?

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Bump. 

Do it. Do it now. 

60yr old OC who has accomplished absolutely nothing in the NFL without being tied at the hip with Kubiak - the real offensive mind. 

Dennison is not innovative. His play calling suffers from lapses in judgment. His decision to bench Miller and start Ducasse is reprehensible.

And though Castillo is garbage as well (another guy who has accomplished NOTHING in the NFL), the final buck stops with Dennison. Its his offense. If Ducasse is not performing then Dennison needs to make the move. Not castillo. But Dennison doesnt have Kubiak now to make the final decision, so he doesnt know what to do. The NFL is not the place for a 60yr old to get his feet wet for the first time all by himself with no other offensive mind to prop him up. 

FIRED. 

On 10/9/2017 at 11:30 AM, bobobonators said:

I don't think I've ever openly advocated for anyone to be fired this soon. In no specific order:

1. He was't McD's first choice to be the OC for the Bills; he was essentially the best option left on the table for the Bills.

Bobobo, I agree with most of what you said.  That out of the way: 

McDermott preaches loyalty and family.  He's also got an ego.  He would look like a tool if he fired the guy he hired halfway through his first season with injury probs on the OL and a QB who won't throw.  He bought off on installing the offense that has created the problems you list.

I would be most surprised if this happened.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McDermott preaches loyalty and family.  He's also got an ego.  He would look like a tool if he fired the guy he hired halfway through his first season with injury probs on the OL and a QB who won't throw.  He bought off on installing the offense that has created the problems you list.

I heard there is rumors that Kubiak might return to the Broncos I wonder if he wants to go back with him.. But who knows.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree it probably wont happen and it probably wont happen for the wrong reason: pride. Like you said, its not a good look for the HC and the GM. Firing Dennison is an admission that a mistake was made; a big mistake. 

McD has enough on his hands with this defense. He needs to have someone who is 100% competent at OC bc McD is a defensive guy. And who are the main minds on offense? Dennison and Castillo: 2 guys that have combined to do absolutely nothing in the NFL (on their own, as the head guys). 

Keeping Dennison for the sake of saving face is no different than cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

And like i said 2mo ago, forget about Tyrod. Is Dennison the guy you want nurturing a 1st rd QB for the next 3-5yrs? No way.

So rip off the bandaid. Just do it. 

Edited by bobobonators

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2017 at 9:30 AM, bobobonators said:

I don't think I've ever openly advocated for anyone to be fired this soon. In no specific order:

1. He was't McD's first choice to be the OC for the Bills; he was essentially the best option left on the table for the Bills.

2. His last stints as OC (Denver and Houston) his offenses have managed to finished 11th; 11th; 10th; and 31st (Houston)....then 18th; 21st (Denver); in points scored (we're currently 26th); much like Rex Ryan, his schemes and gameplans haven't evolved; his offenses have gotten stagnant or worse over the years. And that was with him being linked to Kubiak, who sometimes took over control of the playcalling at halftime according to Denver fans b/c it wasn't working out for the team (as per their message boards). Houston fans were happy to see him leave; Denver fans were really happy to see him leave. How many people here were actually happy to see Lynn leave? Not many. For good reason.

3. The guy is 60yrs old and he wasn't McD's first choice. Forget Tyrod, do we want Rico to be the OC for a rookie QB? Is this the offensive mind we intend to have groom our future QB? Is this the guy that's going to be here for the next 3-5yrs?

4. Dennison, in less than half a season, has managed to turn the #1 rushing offense in the league in 2015/2016, to a bottom-half rushing offense. Shady has one rushing game of +100yds this season; he has 4 consecutive games of garbage. Shady has scored 0 Touchdowns so far. He is averaging 3.2yds per carry. His career low prior to this was 4.1ypc back in his rookie season.

4a. Tyrod is averaging 3.8 yds per rush; and he averaged 6.1 last season. Tyrod has zero rushing TD's as well; he had 6 last season. Tyrod and Shady have combined for ZERO RUSHING TD'S THROUGH 5 GAMES. Let that sink in. This team was built to run the ball and its two main threats have a combined ZERO RUSHING TD'S. How we're even 3-2 is a miracle.

5. Miller and the offensive line dominated the run game last season; they look lost this season. Miller is now being benched in favor of Ducasse. Ducasse is not the future, he's garbage. If Rico thinks Ducasse is better than Miller, then that alone is an indictment of where Rico's worth to this team. This O-line clearly doesn't work well with Rico's run blocking scheme because the majority of the run plays the D-line is blowing up our O-line at the LOS. How many rushes has Shady had for -3 or -4 yards because the defender is in the backfield before Shady even has the ball.

What Rico is doing to this offense is no different than what Rex did to the defense. Rico is taking players out of their element and making them perform functions they don't excel at in order to fit his antiquated scheme. Is this the guy we plan on developing our future QB? His play calling is wildly inconsistent, at best; it lacks imagination; it simply doesn't perform. His offenses haven't performed well since at least 2012.

Cut the cord now; the Bengals cut it and have vastly improved. We cut it last year with Roman and vastly improved. Rico is not the future for anyone currently on this offense or anyone that we'll be drafting next year.

Look I get what your saying but an OC is only as good as the QB running his offense. Christ could be the OC and with Tyrod running it it would be garbage too. Period end of discussion.