WEEK 2 - AT CAR: ALL 22 REVIEW: O LINE/ QB UNFORCED ERRORS

Bocephuz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't the first video show Glenn getting beat badly for a sack?

Stunts worked really well. At least the ones shown were a biut delayed as well. Not sure what the down and distance were. Seems like you beat stunts with a quick underneath passing game that negates the stunt because the ball is already out of the QB hands.

This offense needs more WR screens

The poster that made the point of constanlty changing schemes is dead on. Rex ruined a great defense. McD and and all new defensive backfield looks perfeclty capable so far. Now we have Dennison and McD possibly ruining a top 10 offense by trading the best WR and switching the run blocking.

My only pause is the Carolina defense is really good. This was a road game. Almost no one thought this game was going to be a win.

Denver will tell us a lot.

It's always easy to say that the players are 'bad'...but much of what happens in an NFL game is controlled by the Offensive and Defensive Coordinator. For example, I was hugely impressed with the half time adjustment that Leslie Frazier made to the defense. Our Corners were giving the Panther receivers way too much cushion in the first half. He closed that space down after halftime and the game looked much different. On the flipside, the Bills offense didn't seem to change up much of anything in the second half...and the results were more of the same.

Our defense has good players.

Our offense doesn't.

We can't switch things up on offense because we don't have any difference makers on that side of the ball. Our receivers are slow possession guys who struggle to create separation. The talent on offense simply isn't good enough.

Great breakdown, as per the usual, so thank you!

Really wish we had some way to know what the intended play calls were for a few of these. It's been discussed ad naseum, but would love to know, e.g., which route Zay Jones was supposed to run on the last play of the game, whether that proves he ran the correct or incorrect route. Sucks we have to speculate on plays like that as far as attempting to assign blame to see who is and who is not doing their job.

Donald Jones broke down the route concept on Monday's radio show.

He clearly outlined why Zay Jones is entirely to blame for that missed play.

Edited by jrober38

Donald Jones broke down the route concept on Monday's radio show.

He clearly outlined why Zay Jones is entirely to blame for that missed play.

He very well may be right that Zay should have broken his route more upfield but where he is wrong is that Zay had already committed to the sideline/Pylon before TT began his throwing motion and TT should have adjusted his throw to Zay's route on the outside of his shoulder despite the error from Zay.

And for that, they both get the blame.

He very well may be right that Zay should have broken his route more upfield but where he is wrong is that Zay had already committed to the sideline/Pylon before TT began his throwing motion and TT should have adjusted his throw to Zay's route on the outside of his shoulder despite the error from Zay.

And for that, they both get the blame.

The ball was out as soon as Zay cut. His cut being towards the sideline as opposed to up the field to the pylon was the reason the throw looked bad.

Taylor's job is to read the defense and throw to wear the receiver is supposed to be. In this case, his rookie receiver made a rookie mistake by running a terrible route, and the result was an incomplete pass.

Anyone trying to assign blame to Tyrod isn't being objective.

Dennison/McD stuck with a bad O Game plan way too long. 1 single first half first down is insane - especially with no throws beyond 10 yds of the line of scrimmage. Whether the routes aren't there or TT holds it, the COACHES need to tell TT it's OK to let it fly if they are.

My $ is on a designed conservative passing game plus no deep threat now that Sammy is gone.

Is it possible that they never intended to incorporate many deep passes into this offense regardless of what receivers they had and that helped them make their decision to trade away Watkins?

I think so.

Correct. Tyrod held it too long (as per usual) and then after seeing the cut... still threw a bad ball.

On that play he felt the end pushing the RT back into the pocket and he sidestepped the perceived pressure and then threw it. It was when he sidestepped that Zay had made his diagonal route to the sideline, in other words before TT's throwing motion had begun.

Again, Zay most likely should have made his run more upfield.. So because he didn't does give him partial blame for the play imo. But, the fact that he didn't make that upfield trek and that he did indeed commit to the sideline/pylon and that TT saw this before he began his throw pretty much tosses out the idea that he was justified throwing the ball where he did. At this point, who care's where the route should have been? If you see a route going a certain direction and you throw it to that receiver then you have to throw where he could be in best position to catch it not where it should have been intended to have been.

It's clear, the fault lies on both of them.

On that play he felt the end pushing the RT back into the pocket and he sidestepped the perceived pressure and then threw it. It was when he sidestepped that Zay had made his diagonal route to the sideline, in other words before TT's throwing motion had begun.

Again, Zay most likely should have made his run more upfield.. So because he didn't does give him partial blame for the play imo. But, the fact that he didn't make that upfield trek and that he did indeed commit to the sideline/pylon and that TT saw this before he began his throw pretty much tosses out the idea that he was justified throwing the ball where he did. At this point, who care's where the route should have been? If you see a route going a certain direction and you throw it to that receiver then you have to throw where he could be in best position to catch it not where it should have been intended to have been.

It's clear, the fault lies on both of them.

Agree totally. Zay ran a poor route. Doesn't excuse the bad throw.

Thanks for the posting Bocephuz. I look forward to these. What these postings reinforce for me...

I don't think TT is the long term answer. Stands in the pocket too long, tucks and runs when there are open receivers, doesn't let his receivers make plays.

I am not impressed by the receiving corps, but it's early in the season and most of them are new to the team.

I am not impressed by the play calling. Not enough options, roll-outs, play action, etc.

I am worried about the offensive line (obviously).

Shady is great but he can't carry the team.

to run play action you have to be able to run the ball.

Thanks for doing all this work OP, excellent analysis.

Given the experience and past of this O-line, it makes me think they haven't fully mastered Dennison's terminology/offense yet. Mistakes, mis-communication, and aren't adjusting fast enough yet.

Problem is, I think this is when O-linemen are most likely to get hurt as people are out of position making them vulnerable. Definitely got my fingers crossed things improve quickly.

I don't want our QB, Taylor or not, throwing to where he thinks the WR might run the route.

I want him throwing it to where the route was designed to be run.

You realize that receivers have responsibilities of reading a defense and adjusting route to match right? Also I don't ever want to hear that Tyrod doesn't throw guys open out of you.

Thanks for doing all this work OP, excellent analysis.

Given the experience and past of this O-line, it makes me think they haven't fully mastered Dennison's terminology/offense yet. Mistakes, mis-communication, and aren't adjusting fast enough yet.

Problem is, I think this is when O-linemen are most likely to get hurt as people are out of position making them vulnerable. Definitely got my fingers crossed things improve quickly.

Doesn't the first video show Glenn getting beat badly for a sack?

Stunts worked really well. At least the ones shown were a biut delayed as well. Not sure what the down and distance were. Seems like you beat stunts with a quick underneath passing game that negates the stunt because the ball is already out of the QB hands.

This offense needs more WR screens

The poster that made the point of constanlty changing schemes is dead on. Rex ruined a great defense. McD and and all new defensive backfield looks perfeclty capable so far. Now we have Dennison and McD possibly ruining a top 10 offense by trading the best WR and switching the run blocking.

My only pause is the Carolina defense is really good. This was a road game. Almost no one thought this game was going to be a win.

Denver will tell us a lot.

Thank you. It seems to me that a logical way to adjust to a frequently stunting defense would be to adjust to a zone pass blocking scheme. Each O lineman has a zone to cover and if the defender in front of him moves out of that zone then pass him on to the next guy in the zone over. I think that would neutralize a lot of the stunting . O Linemen get into trouble when they lock onto their guy and "drift out of their lane" so to speak.

You realize that receivers have responsibilities of reading a defense and adjusting route to match right? Also I don't ever want to hear that Tyrod doesn't throw guys open out of you.

I do not think the general consensus supports the notion that Jones was running an option route on the last play. I also don't think Jones adjusted or should adjust his route, if it was supposed to go to the pylon, to go to the yard line. That would not make sense given situational football.

If you don't want to hear something, then don't listen. But I haven't harped on the issue of throwing guys open, even though it is clear TT has struggled with it.