WEEK 2 - AT CAR: ALL 22 REVIEW: O LINE/ QB UNFORCED ERRORS

Bocephuz

I do not think the general consensus supports the notion that Jones was running an option route on the last play. I also don't think Jones adjusted or should adjust his route, if it was supposed to go to the pylon, to go to the yard line. That would not make sense given situational football.

If you don't want to hear something, then don't listen. But I haven't harped on the issue of throwing guys open, even though it is clear TT has struggled with it.

If the definition of "throwing guys open" means a qb releases the ball before the WR makes his break then based on what I've seen TT rarely "throws guys open"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ball was out as soon as Zay cut. His cut being towards the sideline as opposed to up the field to the pylon was the reason the throw looked bad.

Taylor's job is to read the defense and throw to wear the receiver is supposed to be. In this case, his rookie receiver made a rookie mistake by running a terrible route, and the result was an incomplete pass.

Anyone trying to assign blame to Tyrod isn't being objective.

Completely correct. I can't believe how many people are having difficulty with this. Tyrod has made plenty of other mistakes, it's not like his critics need the last play to be his fault to make their case. On that particular play, he threw the right pass. Zay ran the wrong route. Rookie mistake.

Edited by SoFFacet

Can you explain your rating of a clean pocket? Two seconds? Four? It didn't feel like Taylor had enough time to drop back much less scan the field Sunday.

from my opening statement:

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /

How the QB did on every pass play (I may have missed a snap or two here or there. There also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalties but this should be 95% accurate)

Sufficient protection means that TT had time to hit his drop and had at least a second to scan the field.

DISCLAIMER (I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

What I mean by that is if its a 3 step drop.. he takes his 3 steps and has a second to scan the field. If its 5 step.. the same etc.. If it's shotgun he has time to set his feet and a second to scan the field.

Sufficient protection to me is that he has time to go through his primary read and then a secondary. "Sufficient" is the key word here. I don't have a set number of seconds as a benchmark

Edited by Bocephuz

Throwing guys open, to me, means throwing the ball to a spot on the route where the WR will be. Obviously if it is a broken play or option route, that changes.

That's not how I think of it.

You're just talking about throwing the ball at a moving target - a skill that every QB has to have a reasonable amount of to get to be a starter in the NFL.

Throwing a guy open is more about throwing the ball where you want the receiver to go so that he becomes more open as he tracks the ball and runs to catch it.

In other words you make the receiver adjust to where the ball is going and in doing so create separation between him and the defenders or to put the ball in a place where only the receiver has a chance to catch it.

Or maybe that is not it. That is how I always thought about it.

Throwing guys open, to me, means throwing the ball to a spot on the route where the WR will be. Obviously if it is a broken play or option route, that changes.

We have different definitions then

That's not how I think of it.

You're just talking about throwing the ball at a moving target - a skill that every QB has to have a reasonable amount of to get to be a starter in the NFL.

Throwing a guy open is more about throwing the ball where you want the receiver to go so that he becomes more open as he tracks the ball and runs to catch it.

In other words you make the receiver adjust to where the ball is going and in doing so create separation between him and the defenders or to put the ball in a place where only the receiver has a chance to catch it.

Or maybe that is not it. That is how I always thought about it.

Yes that's how I look at it.