Rapoport: It's a Make or Break Year for Marcell Dareus

26CornerBlitz

With 22 million in dead money he is going nowhere. Crappy contract!!!!!

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/marcell-dareus-7718/

Not for sure. They could pull an Osweiler trade to free the cap or take the cap hit and blame it on the last regime...

But I don't think he's been playing poorly...

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Dareus handled that interview very well.

Those reporters were doing their damnedest to try and get him to say something controversial.

They were harping and harping on the whole snap count thing and trying to get Dareus to say how he was mad/frustrated or complain about McDermott's defense, or anything else that would fit the narrative of the story they were obviously trying to write.

But he didn't give them anything. He sounded like a guy who was buying in to what McDermott is trying to do. Whether he truly is or not I don't know but he delivered McDermott's message very well IMO.

That's one thing I've noticed from just about every player I see interviewed - they all sound a lot like McDermott.

They are all repeating a lot of the same phrases that you hear McDermott say. It gives me hope that this team really is all on the same page and buying in to what this new regime is trying to accomplish.

Yup. Vic Carucci was spinning that yarn on his Ch.2 video report with Jonah Javad. "Why isn't your highest paid player playing more?!?!?" I have a question for Vic: Since when is your paycheck the decider of how much you play?

Yup. Vic Carucci was spinning that yarn on his Ch.2 video report with Jonah Javad. "Why isn't your highest paid player playing more?!?!?" I have a question for Vic: Since when is your paycheck the decider of how much you play?

...better yet Vic, ask him why his alleged "football heart" is solely in his wallet?......

If there is any way to get out of the contract (i.e. What Houston did with Brock Osweilier) they need to consider it. Whaley learned from Nix to mismanage the cap and contracts. This contract is horrible for a guy like Dareus as there is no accountability on his part.

Maybe he will get it, but I doubt it. He hasn't yet.

The only real way to get out of contract is for him to retire and Bills claim salary cap dollars back reserving rights. Then he unretires and Bills trade rights getting cash and/or draft picks.

Thanks Whaley.

Whaley did not negotiate that contract but you knew that anyways.

I thought Dareus handled that interview very well.

Those reporters were doing their damnedest to try and get him to say something controversial.

They were harping and harping on the whole snap count thing and trying to get Dareus to say how he was mad/frustrated or complain about McDermott's defense, or anything else that would fit the narrative of the story they were obviously trying to write.

But he didn't give them anything. He sounded like a guy who was buying in to what McDermott is trying to do. Whether he truly is or not I don't know but he delivered McDermott's message very well IMO.

That's one thing I've noticed from just about every player I see interviewed - they all sound a lot like McDermott.

They are all repeating a lot of the same phrases that you hear McDermott say. It gives me hope that this team really is all on the same page and buying in to what this new regime is trying to accomplish.

Perhaps they are just tired of the constant bashing by Buffalo press and have been told just follow script.

The only real way to get out of contract is for him to retire and Bills claim salary cap dollars back reserving rights. Then he unretires and Bills trade rights getting cash and/or draft picks.

....but you won't convince the anti-Whaley gang anyway despite this..............

Bills promote Overdorf to senior VP in minor restructuring
  • Associated Press
  • Published: Jan. 31, 2008 at 11:34 a.m.
  • Updated: July 26, 2012 at 08:17 p.m.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Jim Overdorf was promoted to Buffalo Bills senior vice president of football administration, giving him control over contract negotiations and salary cap decisions.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I am sure Matthew Fairburn has plenty of coaching experience and is on speed dial of every team, right?

....but you won't convince the anti-Whaley gang anyway despite this..............

• Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Jim Overdorf was promoted to Buffalo Bills senior vice president of football administration, giving him control over contract negotiations and salary cap decisions.

I have to believe Overdorf was guided by Whaley, etc. on how high to go.

@john_wawrow

Dareus' playing time drops as part of #Bills D-Line rotation | Pro32: Head to Head

http://pro32.ap.org/thecarrollnews/article/dareus-playing-time-drops-part-bills-d-line-rotation

I find that to be very smart coaching. now, the coaches here will use his less snaps as being fat and lazy...

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Dareus being the new whipping boy is hilarious. I might agree that he isn't always the dominant player his contract numbers need him to be but he is a good effective player when he is out there. I think it is also so knee jerk to claim that he is terrible and unmotivated when he played a part in a great effort by the defense. The Jets couldn't run the ball at all, the Jets QB didn't have a clean pocket to work with consistently, and the Jets couldn't do much else on most of their drives.

It's also one game, can we get a bigger sample size before people pile on a player?

We have a sample size, it's called "The last 3 years". 2014 - 15 GP, 10 sacks, signs huge contract, 2015 - 15 GP, 2 sacks (blame Rex), 2016 - 4 game suspension turns into 8 when he comes in out of shape and pulls hammy slipping on rubber mat, 8 GP, 3.5 sacks (blame Rex again, right)? This board acts as if the Dareus detractors here are somehow being unfair because it's "early". This guy is in his 7th year as a pro, it's time for him to grow up and start balling.

I have to believe Overdorf was guided by Whaley, etc. on how high to go.

It was my understanding that Whaley gave generic parameters and Overdork negotiated with the agents. Not known whose idea was ultimately not putting a moron clause in there, which was the real criminal act, but I would imagine that was Overdork, too.

We have a sample size, it's called "The last 3 years". 2014 - 15 GP, 10 sacks, signs huge contract, 2015 - 15 GP, 2 sacks (blame Rex), 2016 - 4 game suspension turns into 8 when he comes in out of shape and pulls hammy slipping on rubber mat, 8 GP, 3.5 sacks (blame Rex again, right)? This board acts as if the Dareus detractors here are somehow being unfair because it's "early". This guy is in his 7th year as a pro, it's time for him to grow up and start balling.

One could easily argue, however, that Jerry Hughes lessening of production those two years were a direct result of the Rex Factor, not putting him in the best situation to utilize strengths, as well as a couple cornerbacks, as well as Preston Brown, so there is a very good argument that Dareus suffered from Rexatosis, too, especially considering what he does exceptionally well (4-3 gap) and what he is overqualified for (3-4 nose).

You don't pay a guy $100M to soak up blockers like a 0-tech NT.

This is exactly what Shanahan did to Haynesworth. Marcell needs to get this letter from his future self 20 years from now:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/albert-haynesworth-letter-to-my-younger-self/

It was my understanding that Whaley gave generic parameters and Overdork negotiated with the agents. Not known whose idea was ultimately not putting a moron clause in there, which was the real criminal act, but I would imagine that was Overdork, too.

One could easily argue, however, that Jerry Hughes lessening of production those two years were a direct result of the Rex Factor, not putting him in the best situation to utilize strengths, as well as a couple cornerbacks, as well as Preston Brown, so there is a very good argument that Dareus suffered from Rexatosis, too, especially considering what he does exceptionally well (4-3 gap) and what he is overqualified for (3-4 nose).

I'm hoping the big fella can turn it around, but based on his past behavior, I'm not confident. But I was wrong about Richie, maybe Marcell has it in him to change. Right now, he's the Derrick Coleman of the Bills. HOF talent with no work ethnic (sic) or passion for the game.

Dareus B.I.G. needs to play up to his potential for us to be competitive this year on D

How about NoDareus B.I.G?

Someone should ask why his "reporter heart" is solely in his wallet and he spins news to try to get clicks....

...invent the proverbial "Head 'n Heart" meter to measure what is in these guys chests and between the ears when they get signed and you'd be a billionaire IMO....is it the love for the game and making it to the NFL?...the rook cap has tempered the initial money, so do you "love" the game until your UFA contract, cashing in and playing with the same "love" or now coasting?.....the multitude of directions these guys can go depending on their "head and heart" is never ending and so unpredictable......did your owner's "open wallet" net you a Fat Albert Haynesworth parasite OR despite all of his faults, a James Harris who has a "bad (COUGH)" case of NFL addiction?....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Nope but whaley approved all contrqcts but you knew that.

<p>

• Associated Press
Is whaley part of the anti whaley gang:

"I'm comfortable giving a contract that we think is right for the Buffalo Bills and he thinks is right for him," Whaley said. "What that number will be who knows? But we're just trying to find a middle ground where they feel they've won and we feel we've won and it's best for both of us."

Those words are from his mouth. That contract is on the GM Doug Whaley.

...invent the proverbial "Head 'n Heart" meter to measure what is in these guys chests and between the ears when they get signed and you'd be a billionaire IMO....is it the love for the game and making it to the NFL?...the rook cap has tempered the initial money, so do you "love" the game until your UFA contract, cashing in and playing with the same "love" or now coasting?.....the multitude of directions these guys can go depending on their "head and heart" is never ending and so unpredictable......did your owner's "open wallet" net you a Fat Albert Haynesworth parasite OR despite all of his faults, a James Harris who has a "bad (COUGH)" case of NFL addiction?....

what is it about, someone else's money? I'm just curious. I don't understand why a fan worries about what goes in to a football players pocket? is it just him because he's on the team or do you think about all these millionaire football players? what does an nfl players money really mean to a fan? I can guarantee you there has never been a time I lay awake thinking about all that money, a football player makes?

oh well, to each there own. counting that money.

cheers

ZP9JY.gif

Remember when Dareus was great? Maybe 2014, under Schwartz? He was on the field for 62% of all defensive snaps (source: footballoutsiders sortable stats). He liked the rotation then; he likes it now. First game of the season, coming off some, umm, time away in camp (hip injury + missing the bus or whatever), it's perfectly reasonable to expect him to be on the field somewhat less in Game 1. I see no issue here, and I'm in no way a big Dareus fanboy ...

EDIT: in Schwartz's rotation, here's the 2014 snap count (and isn't 2014's pre-Rex splendor what everyone wants?):

Mario: 72.5%

Hughes: 71.9

Kyle: 66.1

Dareus: 62.4

Manny Lawson: 31.3

Bryant: 32.5

Charles: 31.0

Wynn: 28.6

We had fantastic depth, and Schwartz's rotation was key in keeping starters fresh by using that depth. Let's give Dareus a break on this front and just hope that this year's depth holds up as well as 2014's .... BUFF NEWS: too many Bills reporters chasing too few stories everyday ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich