PFF Lists Dawkins Among "Notable Non-First Round Rookies"

Big C

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-preseason-review-notable-non-first-round-rookies

Dawkins lead all tackles this preseason in terms of overall grade, largely thanks to the elite 90.2 run blocking grade he put up over the course of four preseason games. Dawkins, the second-round pick, held his own as a pass protector – his 95.6 pass blocking efficiency rating (PBE measures pressure surrendered on a per-snap basis, weighting towards sacks) ranked 52nd out of 131 qualified tackles (and 11th out of 29 rookie tackles) – but he was absolutely sensational as a run blocker. Dawkins started out his professional career with an average run blocking grade of 76.6 in Buffalo’s opener against Minnesota before exploding for run blocking grades of 94.7, 90.0 and 86.0 over the next three games.

Interesting that we have read in other places how poorly he looked. Do we think Dawkins takes Mills' place after a few games or do they keep him as the backup/swing guy for a year, barring injuries?

I thought he looked pretty good run blocking and a lot of room to develop pass blocking. Fairly typical for most rookie OL. I love his athleticism and attitude and think he will start next year. Mills had a decent camp from what I read.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I thought he looked pretty good run blocking and a lot of room to develop pass blocking. Fairly typical for most rookie OL. I love his athleticism and attitude and think he will start next year. Mills had a decent camp from what I read.

For sure. I think every article I read from Bills beat writers, etc. went the other way on Dawkins though. Just an interesting dichotomy. I read the same about Mills, although he has not looked so good in preseason. If they feel like continuity is the way to go and Mills plays OK I am fine with keeping Dawkins limited this year.

Dawkins had the same issue as Cyrus Kouandjio. They both played left tackle in college. Theoretically left tackle is more difficult because defenses like to put their best pass rushers on the right end (of the defensive line) in order to pressure the QBs blind side. Since Cordy Glenn is a fixture on the left when he's healthy, the Bills logically sought to create competition for Mills on the right. The problem has been that even though the defensive players they face might not be as athletic, the footwork moving from the left side to the right side is a mirror image of what they're used to. There is a learning curve, and some players handle it better than others. Kouandjio struggled on the right side his whole time in Buffalo. Dawkins is still early in his pro career, but his discomfort on the right side is obvious. The Bills, I think would still like to get him moved to the right, but were forced to play him for the injured Glenn on the left. That's where he earned the more impressive scores from PFF, I'll bet. He may eventually be fine on the right, but I don't think he's there yet.

Dawkins had the same issue as Cyrus Kouandjio. They both played left tackle in college. Theoretically left tackle is more difficult because defenses like to put their best pass rushers on the right end (of the defensive line) in order to pressure the QBs blind side. Since Cordy Glenn is a fixture on the left when he's healthy, the Bills logically sought to create competition for Mills on the right. The problem has been that even though the defensive players they face might not be as athletic, the footwork moving from the left side to the right side is a mirror image of what they're used to. There is a learning curve, and some players handle it better than others. Kouandjio struggled on the right side his whole time in Buffalo. Dawkins is still early in his pro career, but his discomfort on the right side is obvious. The Bills, I think would still like to get him moved to the right, but were forced to play him for the injured Glenn on the left. That's where he earned the more impressive scores from PFF, I'll bet. He may eventually be fine on the right, but I don't think he's there yet.

Kujo has nerve damage that affected his get off on the right side.

He'd have snaps where he just couldn't get out of his stance at RT until it was too late and would get immediately beaten........left side his get off was consistent.........he worked hard on the footwork/technique at OL camp in the offseasons and I don't think that was the issue between the two sides of the OL..........but yes, it could be for Dawkins.

Yep. Having to fill-in for Cordy at LT stunted his development at RT. But now they can have Dawkins start at LT and Cordy start at RT. Or OG.