The Bills Have the 3rd Oldest Team in the NFL

26CornerBlitz

@SalSports

Always look forward to @JimmyKempski doing this. I'm surprised Bills are 3rd oldest, behind only Panthers and Cards:

http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2017-edition/

As of roughly 9:15 p.m. on cut-down day, when we finished collecting data from all 32 NFL team website rosters, the Cleveland Browns had the youngest team in the NFL. Previously, the St. Louis / Los Angeles Rams held that title for five straight seasons, from 2012 to 2016. The Arizona Cardinals have the oldest roster in the NFL.

By the time you read this, this data will already out of date as teams continue to make tweaks to their rosters, although even with continued roster movement, the average ages of each team shouldn’t change much. Here are the results, with a recent historic look at the average ages of each team on 53-man cut down day:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of the Leafs in the first year under Babcock. Use a team of veterans to establish a system, culture and stable structure so when when they brought in a ton of kids the next year they had the leadership and framework in place to acclimate them to play the right way.

There was no young core to build the team around last year either. The new regime inherited a mess.

Correct. They did. And why they should have went all the way instead of this halfassed house cleaning we will compete thing they are doing this year.

Reminds me of the Leafs in the first year under Babcock. Use a team of veterans to establish a system, culture and stable structure so when when they brought in a ton of kids the next year they had the leadership and framework in place to acclimate them to play the right way.

Not an exact parallel because the Leafs had a number of young talented prospects in their system that were a big part of their success last season and they will be moving into the future. McBeane OTOH are treading away younger, talented players on cheaper contracts.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Correct. They did. And why they should have went all the way instead of this halfassed house cleaning we will compete thing they are doing this year.

This about as dramatic of a house cleaning as I could have imagined that they would have done.

How many WR's and DB's that are currently on this team were here last year?

Can't argue that right now, but I'm willing to see how this year plays out first.

Not an exact parallel because the Leafs had a number of young talented prospects in their system that are were a big part of their success last season and moving into the future. McBeane OTOH are treading away younger, talented players on cheaper contracts.

true but they all came up last year just like next year's draft class for us. Since the NHL allows you to stash players in feeder leagues for years it's actually a fairly appropriate analogy.

Three IFs:

If we can suck enough this year to pick high enough to get a QB without using multiple picks for him.

If said QB comes in playing at the level this years rookie QB is , with a stronger arm.

If Beaner can hit on , at least, three of the other five early picks......

We will be young and set up nicely for the future

Not necessarily.

They traded/didn't resign some of the young talent. Why? No idea.

Young talent that was either unrealized or flawed. Now he's a scrub, but once upon a time, Vlad Ducasse was a 2nd-round draft pick... young talent. :lol:

This about as dramatic of a house cleaning as I could have imagined that they would have done.

How many WR's and DB's that are currently on this team were here last year?

They stopped way short of gettinf rid of Bloated contracts, which they should have done this year.

And actually gave one out with Wood extension.

The transition year could have been used much better to set up themselves for the future.

They stopped way short of gettinf rid of Bloated contracts, which they should have done this year.

And actually gave one out with Wood extension.

The transition year could have been used much better to set up themselves for the future.

I don't see it that way, Wood was someone that they made the evaluation right or wrong that is someone who fits into their team. Personally, I think they overpaid. But nonetheless, this was a conscience decision that they made.

In regards to bloated contracts, are you talking about TT or Dareus or who exactly?

I don't see it that way, Wood was someone that they made the evaluation right or wrong that is someone who fits into their team. Personally, I think they overpaid. But nonetheless, this was a conscience decision that they made.

In regards to bloated contracts, are you talking about TT or Dareus or who exactly?

Any player makingnice cap hit that will not be here in a year or two.

So yes Taylor is one.

McCoy

Williams

Alexander

Edited by MAJBobby

I wonder what happens to that 26.74 if you take Lorax out of the mix and replace him with a 26 year old.

Excellent point.

The average age really isnt relevant, what you need to evaluate are how many KEY players on the downside, Lorax, K Williams, Incognito . and how many players are on the edge Wood (good thing we just extended him) McCoy, Clay, Ducasse (puke), Banyard, T Jones (how did he make the roster?)

You have a Colt Anderson on the roster who is 31, does he really matter, of course not.

Not an exact parallel because the Leafs had a number of young talented prospects in their system that were a big part of their success last season and they will be moving into the future. McBeane OTOH are treading away younger, talented players on cheaper contracts.

This regime is accumulating picks so that this roster is going to be restocked. The new HC/GM just took over so there is not going to be an immediate transformation. However, in the near future (next few years) this will be basically a new roster. Keeping some of the older and wiser players such as Kyle Williams and Wood to show the younger players the right way to do things is the smart approach to take.

What is demonstrably evident is that the hodgepodge and patchwork approach that Whaley and his predecessors took is a formula for maintaining mediocrity. Success will be dependent on how well this regime drafts and by acquiring a bona fide franchise qb.