THE big problem for the Bills QB situation is...

KingRex

actually how it exacerbates an already pretty impossible situation with dealing with the WR situation.

Even before the huge trades letting our #1 Watkinsgo and picking up Matthews, we had a huge challenge simply hoping to avoid injuries which had routinely sidetracked our #1 and no one outside of Donald Trump would have been surprised if old man Boldin had been our #1.

Unfortunately reality intruded and not only did we lose Boldin, but a freak injury to Matthews removed much chance that he, Tyrod, Peterman, or Yates would gain any practical experience with each other.

Add to this catastrophic reality, that Streater gets hurt along with the inability of Taylor, Yates to even practice.or for the braintrust to even predict whether the concussion protocol which depends upon assessment being made day-to-day will allow these two QBs to even do walk throughs.

My limited understanding of the concussion protocol is that it is designed to force players with head injuries to stand down as pro football players and take away the ability of both the braintrust or the individual player to "suck it up" and show their commitment to their teammates and their own careers by doing anything but sit there with the lights turned out.

My sense is that Taylor and Yates are mandated to simply sit for a couple of days and then only be allowed to increase their activity as they pass various cognitive and other mental tests. It is essentially unpredictable as to win they can be counted on not to simply play but even to pactice.

My sense of what the Bills need to do are a couple of things.

1. Sign a QB right now!

However, the key criteria for this hire is not his upside and potential to win games, but instead his ability to practice and run plays that are part of the 2017 Bills playbook. The priority for this player is not his talent and potential to win games, but instead his familiarity with Bills OC Dennison's offense and the terminology he uses so he can participate in good practice sessions that allow the braintrust to give good practice to the WRs so they can assess who should start with Peterman or it is to be hoped Taylor.

For example we should be under no illusions that Ponder is going to be our answer at starting QB, but he has a history with Dennison and may be our best choice to sign him for practice.

2. Think about the potential to sign a potential starting QB.

Its still way to early to look for a Kapernick or some other unlikrly bad choice to b our potential starter. I have few doubts a player like Kapernick is a better player than Yates, but given the distraction he would cause (to a team with given folks like Dareus already has character challenges) and given that the playbook might need to be changed to get the most out of CK, its likely not worthwhile to bring him in.

However, concussions are so uncertain, and throwing the rookie Peterman in now is almost certainly poor training of this talented youngster, the Bills need to figure its Taylor or bust, but the time has come to think about but not impledment bust options like Sean Hill.

The answer long-term to the qb situation is the 2018 draft. I doubt concussion protocol is going to keep Taylor and Yates from playing week one, but if it does, I'm not sure someone who becomes available will actually be better than and more prepared than Peterman.

Was the injury to Matthews a "freak injury" - No. An obscure one maybe but not freak injury. Football has injuries and it was a normal play not a kevin kolb mat trip.

A good "process" as coach continually preaches, has risk mitigation built in, The Bean/McDermott process fell down in this respect and we will see it week one with QB/WRs not being on the same page no matter who is at QB.

Trading Sammy has multiple levels of impact that have been discussed in other threads and being ungodly thin at outside WR is just another one of them. So much in fact that a WR that could have been cut (Holmes) now looks like a starter.

Processes have process controls are measured.

I expect they will sign someone to play this Thursday game as won't want to risk your only healthy QB who somewhat knows the system to also get hurt. Whomever that might be will likely be cut prior to the 1st game assuming either TT or Yates is healthy. If neither is still healthy you keep the new guy, however that may mean you only sign a guy who doesn't fall under the "vet" rules where his full years salary is guaranteed if on the roster opening day.

They need a warm body to back up Nate for Thursday and they need him yesterday. Unless you want to run the risk of playing your starting QB all of game 4 of the preseason. That's insanity. And what if Tyrod is not out of protocol by Friday? Think that ready or not its Nate against the jests. I'm a big fan of the kid but don't like this one bit. Willing to give the new regime plenty of slack with decision making, but not if they screw this one up.

On a side note:

IT'S JUST A DAMN GAME! Don't want anybody's brain scrambled for entertainment. Nobody should "suck it up" and play through something with lifelong consequences.