Bloody Mary recipes

WhoTom

So the breakfast thread made me think of Bloody Marys. Share your favorite recipe - preferably with basic ingredients, not pre-made mixes.

Tom's soon-to-be-famous Bloody Mary recipe:

(In this order)
- Ice
- Vodka
- Tomato juice
- A dash of Worcestershire sauce
- A splash (or two or three or four) of Frank's RedHot
- A stalk of celery (or a sprinkle of celery seed, crushed or whole)
- A slice of lemon or lime is optional

Stir and enjoy!

Some people use horseradish and Tabasco, and I like it that way too, but I like Frank's better for both flavor and spiciness.

My favorite is actually one I had at Boston's in Niagara Falls:

Ice

Grey Goose vodka

Clamato

Worcestershire

Dash hot sauce

Rim the glass with celery salt and black pepper

Celery stalks, lemon and lime

I have a friend who uses Clamato. I'm not crazy about it, myself, but the rest looks good. Celery salt and pepper around the glass sounds interesting - I might try that.

Tomato juice

Worcester and/or Ai sauce

Horseradish

Tabasco

Lemon

Ground black peppercorns

Vodka

Ice

What's Ai sauce?

Vodka

Tomato juice

lots of horseradish

hot sauce

black pepper

some lemon juice

three olives

splash of olive juice

You're welcome

Olives! I need to add that to my recipe. Thanks!

I have a friend who uses Clamato. I'm not crazy about it, myself, but the rest looks good. Celery salt and pepper around the glass sounds interesting - I might try that.

What's Ai sauce?

Oops A1, the steak sauce. It gives it a heartier flavor. Not too much or it overpowers.

I usually make enough mix for a few drinks and then pour it over the vodka and ice. Gives me a chance to tweak the mix if I don't like it.

I do love a good Bloody Mary with brunch, but one or two is the limit. Too rich to get more than that in me. I used to take my parents to brunch and those one or two were a highlight of the meal and awesome! Happy memories..... :)

I do love a good Bloody Mary with brunch, but one or two is the limit. Too rich to get more than that in me. I used to take my parents to brunch and those one or two were a highlight of the meal and awesome! Happy memories..... :)

Indeed. A bloody Mary is a special kind of drink. It's meant to get you back in the saddle for the previous night's transgressions or prime you up for a long day of shenanigans. It's not an all day drink, as you said 1 or 2 is the limit.

I got into Bloody Marys when a group of my old college buddies used to get together every year for a camping trip. One friend always brought two coolers: one with food and beer, and the other with Bloody Mary ingredients. She made the best Bloody Marys I've ever had. So it became a morning tradition on that trip: coffee until we're awake, and then one or two Bloody Marys with a late breakfast.

That group only gets together every few years now, so I started missing the crimson concoction. Last fall, I decided to make it my game-day drink, since I don't like drinking beer at noon. I could never get it quite as good as my friend's, but after some tweaking, I finally came up with the recipe I posted above. It goes great with a brunch burrito. And yes, it's a hearty beverage. That's good - I don't munch so much during a game, and it's a healthy alternative to beer.

Campbell's tomato juice

Belvedere Vodka

Half a teaspoon of horseradish

Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins) recommended

3 or 4 drops of Tabasco

1/4 lemon ....squeeze the juice in first.

3 olives

A few pepper grinds.

My personal opinion is that the quality of vodka is less important for drinks like the bloody mary. Not going rotgut. but I reserve the quality vodka for drinks that are closer to (or right at) straight up.

Vodka

Tomato juice

lots of horseradish

hot sauce

black pepper

some lemon juice

three olives

splash of olive juice

You're welcome

very close to mine I prefer Worcestershire sauce in place of the lemon juice but yours look very good.

I'm also a guy who wants a ton of horseradish. almost like pulpy oj. That is what makes the bloody Mary for me.

Dont forget to hang a shrimp on the rim, and maybe a peperoncini or two

The celery is important, but the olives are the crown jewel of a Bloody Mary! I've never heard of shrimp, but it sounds like a splendid idea!