Another ship collision

mead107

The Navy has called for a "pause" on all operations, not just the 7th Fleet... Lending more weight to the speculations that these collisions were not mere accidents.

!@#$ery is afoot, and I'm guessing someone is showing off new capabilities to the USN... safe money is on Beijing.

Is someone hacking our 7th fleet? Navy to investigate after USS John S McCain collision

2 clarify Re: possibility of cyber intrusion or sabotage, no indications right now...but review will consider all possibilities

Itay Glick, the founder of a cyber security firm called Votiro, told News.com.au that his initial reaction to news of the USS McCain collision was that it may have been hacked. Glick worked in the cyber-warfare unit of the Israeli intelligence agency and pointed to the possibility of involvement from Russia and China.

“I don’t believe in coincidence,” Glick said. “Both USS McCain and USS Fitzgerald were part of the 7th Fleet, there is a relationship between these two events and there may be a connection.

What caused the accident?

The warship suffered a steering failure as the warship was beginning its approach into the Strait of Malacca, causing it to collide with a commercial tanker Monday, a US Navy official told CNN.

The official said it was unclear why the crew couldn't utilize the ship's backup steering systems to maintain control of ship.

Earlier, another US Navy official told CNN there were indications the destroyer experienced a loss of steering right before the collision, but steering had been regained after the collision.

Ralph Peters is a good writer that gives you stuff to think about...but as he's a bit touched, I'd take his proclamations with a grain of salt.

Millennials texting and driving. -Bank on it.

More like situational awareness and reliance on tech, cutting corners, maintenance, training, and the proverbial "pulling the cart before the horse" while cutting corners @ the worst possible and wrong times. We all bend the rules, but they shouldn't break.

Yet... Even in my industry, an industry that is like watching paint dry we are seeing some safety issues that would have never happened years ago. We are becoming desensitized to the dangers around us. A co-worker just had both legs demolished by a 2" line that snapbacked, parted. That simply is unacceptable and preventable.

With what's happening in 7th Feet, traffic flow is incredible there in the strait, no doubt, but that is no excuse.

Collisions and allisions should be extremely rare. 2 in 9 months for the fleet is a "cultural" issue that isn't happening with the other fleets.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• 1 month later...

Interesting in this AiS age.

My go to App:

MarineTraffic.com

(out of Cyprus this company)

"Classic" tracking. Does the Navy give "security check" over marine radio when entering congested waters? If they turn their AiS off and don't give any security check, isn't that akin to playing street hockey in the middle of the interstate?

Then... Are other vessels paying attention to the old school ways or are the glued to the AiS? Do they lose the cognitive means and situational awareness to avoid collision/allision.

Modern tech is great, but if the Navy is shutting it off, don't count on others to figure a situation out using the old school ways. Everybody is glued to the tech like it is the Bible.

Gonna be rough sailing and staying hidden in a very opened eye world.