Charlottesville

TSNBDSC

I've read through this entire thread and I'm not shocked by the lack of support for these far right Confederate Nazi southern racists led by Richard Spencer.

As de-industrialization and the economic policies of neoliberalism have forced many of us to leave Western NY to pursue a middle class lifestyle, many of us have ended up south of the Mason-Dixon. Anyone with a Buffalo or Western NY accent is quickly greeted with passive aggressive terms such as 'Yankees', 'War of Northern Aggression' or worse 'carpet-bagger'. In the south they see President Lincoln as a great imperialist and conqueror.

As someone who lived many years in the south it never ceased to amaze me when I was asked where I was from. Literally it was a daily part of life. Never did a black person ask me, always the white people. There is an expectation in the south that when you move there you conform to that society, say things like "y'all, fixing to, bless your heart." Many neighbors didn't say the N-word by used more modern disparaging terms like 'the hoods' in referring to black people in our subdivision or 'plantation' as they are all called in the south.

Now I live far from the south. In the years since moving I've never been asked where I'm from or made to feel uncomfortable because my ancestors fought for the Union in the Civil War against traitors.

ahhhaahahahahahahaha

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Huffington Post reports, “Police Stood By As Mayhem Mounted in Charlottesville:

State police and national guardsmen watched passively for hours as self-proclaimed Nazis engaged in street battles with counter-protesters.”

Trial lawyer Robert Barnes tweets that ACLU of Virginia “confirms that police were given stand-down order.

This invited the violence the city used to shut down a court-permitted protest.”

This is an incredibly stupid post.

Dumb ass!

@kurteichenwald

Peter Cvjetanovic, a white nationalist, is upset that this photo of him has gone viral. So be nice: dont retweet this tweet 1000s of times.

DHIfUMJVoAAdODQ.jpg

at least he gets out of the basement and is willing to speak up for his beliefs. Ctrl v in Mama's basement doesn't get ya far in the real world, snowflake.

So mock him but he is more a man than you are

This is an incredibly stupid post.

why

All this over a statue of Robert E. Lee, people should learn about history, the reason the Civil War was fought and the generals on both sides. I live in Lee county and the local NAACP wants to change the county's name, that's how friggin crazy people are getting

And I sincerely doubt that the majority of the alt-right protesters have a strong understanding of Robert E. Lee. It was just an excuse for them to go out and seek some attention.

Mission accomplished

why?

Because it shows gross, intentional ignorance of events that led to this, warnings that were issued, what really happened, what was warned would happen, how law enforcement actually responded, and thank God there weren't more casualties given the now apparent gross intent to incite a riot.

This thing has been going on for well over a month.

Local law enforcement gave every option to allow this to go peacefully.

I drove by this area at 9:10 and it looked like a law enforcement war zone. I've never seen anything like it in this area, or anywhere else for that matter, that experience includes a number of times visiting Tiananmen Square.

When I retraced that route at 12:30 on my way home, I saw hundreds of people carrying hate signs. body paint, disgusting "uniforms," and chanting hatred backed up by idiotic, moronic posters.

I witnessed the police protecting cross walks and letting them go.

They were looking for trouble, and blaming the folks who were responsible for protecting both sides, when both were spoiling for a fight and hiding behind "rights" never intended to support hatred and idiocy is idiotic.

Because it shows gross, intentional ignorance of events that led to this, warnings that were issued, what really happened, what was warned would happen, how law enforcement actually responded, and thank God there weren't more casualties given the now apparent gross intent to incite a riot.

This thing has been going on for well over a month.

Local law enforcement gave every option to allow this to go peacefully.

I drove by this area at 9:10 and it looked like a law enforcement war zone. I've never seen anything like it in this area, or anywhere else for that matter, that experience includes a number of times visiting Tiananmen Square.

When I retraced that route at 12:30 on my way home, I saw hundreds of people carrying hate signs. body paint, disgusting "uniforms," and chanting hatred backed up by idiotic, moronic posters.

I witnessed the police protecting cross walks and letting them go.

They were looking for trouble, and blaming the folks who were responsible for protecting both sides, when both were spoiling for a fight and hiding behind "rights" never intended to support hatred and idiocy is idiotic.

but the law was doing nothing to stop it

Without good there is no evil and vice versa. Take down all the confederate monuments and we can conveniently forget the civil war ever happened. Simply erase that chapter from the annals of history.

what does this accomplish? How does removing them do anything

Without good there is no evil and vice versa. Take down all the confederate monuments and we can conveniently forget the civil war ever happened. Simply erase that chapter from the annals of history.

The Confederates lovers can invite those monuments to their own communities. Has any community offered to take them?

"There was no police presence. We were watching people punch each other; people were bleeding all the while police were inside of barricades at the park watching."

"It was essentially just brawling on the street and community members trying to protect each other."

Said Brittany Caine-Conley, of the Sojourners United Church of Christ, quoted in "McAuliffe Counters Critics of Police Response to Charlottesville Violence" (NYT).

What is Governor McAuliffe's answer to the critics?
“You can’t stop some crazy guy who came here from Ohio and used his car as a weapon. He is a terrorist.”

That doesn't explain doing nothing about the fighting and brawling Caine-Conley describes. And if the police had managed the crowds, perhaps the car incident would not have been triggered.

Interesting that McAuliffe is calling Fields a "crazy guy." So many people seem intent on characterizing Fields as part of a significant political movement.

Jason Kessler, the organizer of the so-called Unite the Right rally... complained that the authorities had “exacerbated the violence” by failing to separate his followers from counterprotesters, leading to the melee.

I've seen how the police have managed crowds here in Madison, Wisconsin — huge rallies with opposing sides. I'd like to know how the police in Virginia could be so impotent. Are they so afraid of being accused of doing something wrong that they protect themselves by doing nothing?

Asked about the brawling and why police did not do more to control it, Brian Moran, Virginia’s secretary of public safety, said in an interview on Sunday that “it was a volatile situation and it’s unfortunate people resorted to violence.’’ But, he said, “From our plan, to ensure the safety of our citizens and property, it went extremely well.’’

Governor McAuliffe also defended the police response, saying, “It’s easy to criticize, but I can tell you this, 80 percent of the people here had semiautomatic weapons. You saw the militia walking down the street, you would have thought they were an army,” he added. “I was just talking to the State Police upstairs; they had better equipment than our State Police had,” he said, referring to the militia members. “And yet not a shot was fired, zero property damage.”

Pathetic. The police were afraid of the guns? But no shots were fired, even in response to punching and brawling. That makes it sound as though those people with guns were quite restrained, and yet they terrified the police.

Edited by B-Man

what does this accomplish? How does removing them do anything

Nothing....that's my point. What's done is done. Removing some statues won't change history.

The Confederates lovers can invite those monuments to their own communities. Has any community offered to take them?

Hell if I know, but it's a part of the history of the United States and you simply can't erasebit by taking a statue down. Do you honestly believe a person will change their beliefs one way or another because a statue has been removed?

Maybe the people who are offended by the statues should wipe their pu$$ies.

at least he gets out of the basement and is willing to speak up for his beliefs. Ctrl v in Mama's basement doesn't get ya far in the real world, snowflake.

So mock him but he is more a man than you are

why

At least Hitler liked dogs. Right. I felt like everything that took place on Saturday was like a massive outdoor episode of the Jerry Springer show. You had the KKK and Nazi skinheads on one side (the monument was just an excuse to hold a rally) and the BLM and Antifa groups on the other side who came their to incite violence against each other. I'm surprised their weren't more casualties.

Ya.

The smart thing to do would have been to open fire on gun toting white supremacists, and those opposing them.

No doubt that would have limited the fatalities to one woman killed by a vehicle driven by an Ohio punk who is a Nazi sympathizer, and a teen load of injuries.

They should have opened up on them, but they didn't because the police were "afraid of the guns," and "terrified."

Shooting makes so much more sense.

Fortunately, people who post such nonsense are not in a position to carry out their desires, and have little patience for hearing the other side of the story, which always takes time.

Fortunately for all of us.

Edited by sherpa

At least Hitler liked dogs. Right. I felt like everything that took place on Saturday was like a massive outdoor episode of the Jerry Springer show. You had the KKK and Nazi skinheads on one side (the monument was just an excuse to hold a rally) and the BLM and Antifa groups on the other side who came their to incite violence against each other. I'm surprised their weren't more casualties.

I agree to a point, but I think we paint with too broad a brush. Amongst those groups were also reasonable people, some of whom were legitimately protesting the removal of the statues and some coming to show opposition to the more radical white supremacist groups. If you take the act of one guy out of the equation there isn't much of a story here.

Maybe the people who are offended by the statues should wipe their pu$$ies.

That's another option.

In a perfect world they all would have killed one another.

Nothing....that's my point. What's done is done. Removing some statues won't change history.

Hell if I know, but it's a part of the history of the United States and you simply can't erasebit by taking a statue down. Do you honestly believe a person will change their beliefs one way or another because a statue has been removed?

I wouldn't want that trashy statue representing my community. If they can find a place to drag it, all good. Has any community offered to take it?