Go on record regarding the trades

Thoughts on the trades  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the moves today?

Spinning it? How do you figure? It's clear to me and by looking at his answer that he was concerned with his injury issues along with what Sammy was looking to get on the open market.

The point wasn't that you "can't" sign him it is that you "won't" sign him. That's what "signability" is in this case. The Bills could have easily retained him if they wanted to.

Hold on a second Kirby. They could have easily retained him past the option year by How? Franchising him? Paying a sum that they believe was to risky to pay? And they could have possibly been dealing with a discontent player situation holding out during camp, not all-in with what McD is trying to do. I take exception with that characterization

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spinning it? How do you figure? It's clear to me and by looking at his answer that he was concerned with his injury issues along with what Sammy was looking to get on the open market.

I don't disagree. But signability means exactly what I said earlier "we are not going to pay him what he will command on the open market and do not value him enough to prevent him from reaching the open market." It's a "won't" sign him not a "can't."

The Bills have plenty of money and the tag to ensure that Watkins didn't go anywhere.

That's fake news. Every good team pays their stars. It's true every year, in every sport. In football it's especially true because of the hard cap. Every team spends the same amount of money. The money is allocated to players based on the contracts of their counterparts around the league. A star RB in Buffalo will get roughly the same as a star RB in Atlanta.

Those "back loaded" contracts never catch up in football. The guy gets cut or extended. The biggest guarantees are at the beginning of the deal.

That's not NE philosophy.

They had two stars last year come up on contract years. Chandler Jones was traded to AZ and Jamie Collins traded to CLE. They didn't want to sign them at the money they were commanding so they traded them for value.

I don't disagree. But signability means exactly what I said earlier "we are not going to pay him what he will command on the open market and do not value him enough to prevent him from reaching the open market." It's a "won't" sign him not a "can't."

The Bills have plenty of money and the tag to ensure that Watkins didn't go anywhere.

Right, but now you are just parsing words. The underlying concern is valid, would you concede that point? Edited by Magox

Right, but now you are just parsing words. The underlying concern is valid, would you concede that point?

It's not valid imo. The only thing preventing the Bills from retaining Watkins was their decision to retain Watkins. When they talk about "signability" that is not say that they "can't" sign him it's saying they "won't." Watkins is gong to get paid. No one is debating that but nothing was stopping the Bills from being that team to pay him other than "we don't think that he is worth _____."

I guess tot he underlying concern I would be concerned about injuries. The Bills do have that medical information so there's that. In terms of going "all-in" with what McDermott is trying to do I'd like to see him coach a game before I care about his vision. I know that Sammy can play at this point but don't know if McDermott is good. I'm not just blindly following an unproven guy. I like what I've seen so far from him but there is a long way to go.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Yup and we arent winning and we were in cap teouble. See what I mean. Its not sustainable.

We weren't in cap trouble. There's really no such thing as cap trouble unless you are utterly incompetent (which a few teams have proven to be). You can just keep kicking the can down the road pretty much forever. Teams have learned this and are doing it now.

That's not NE philosophy.

They had two stars last year come up on contract years. Chandler Jones was traded to AZ and Jamie Collins traded to CLE. They didn't want to sign them at the money they were commanding so they traded them for value.

They've always carried a few star contracts-

They let those guys walk and paid Gilmore. They also carry contracts for gronk, Brady etc...

Unrelated but comes to mind as a curiosity

I actually wonder if in recent NFL history any team has turned over its top 4 receivers, top 3 corners, and starting safeties in one offseason

Kevon Seymour, colt Anderson, Charles Clay, nick o Leary and Brandon Tate are officially our only returning secondary players or pass catchers at this point probably?

They let those guys walk and paid Gilmore. They also carry contracts for gronk, Brady etc...

I actually wonder if in recent NFL history any team has turned over its top 4 receivers, top 3 corners, and starting safeties in one offseason

Kevon Seymour, colt Anderson, Charles Clay, nick o Leary and Brandon Tate are officially our only returning secondary players or pass catchers at this point probably?

Interesting point. Probably not.

We've carried star contracts too....

Powell and Lewis

We've carried star contracts too....

The initial point was that carrying star contracts isn't a formula for sustained success. The reality is every team carries star contracts.

It's not valid imo. The only thing preventing the Bills from retaining Watkins was their decision to retain Watkins. When they talk about "signability" that is not say that they "can't" sign him it's saying they "won't." Watkins is gong to get paid. No one is debating that but nothing was stopping the Bills from being that team to pay him other than "we don't think that he is worth _____."

I guess tot he underlying concern I would be concerned about injuries. The Bills do have that medical information so there's that. In terms of going "all-in" with what McDermott is trying to do I'd like to see him coach a game before I care about his vision. I know that Sammy can play at this point but don't know if McDermott is good. I'm not just blindly following an unproven guy. I like what I've seen so far from him but there is a long way to go.

It may end up being the wrong decision, but I would hope that reasonable people can agree to disagree that their argument for making the trade they made was rooted in valid concerns from both a financial and injury/value aspect.

We have no speed for a qb who is best at throwing deep. It is a group of 2 and 3 type WRs.

In a West Coast Offense, these WR pieces fit okay. I agree, we are particularly slow but we aren't going to be taking many deep shots anyways so...