New Parent - Bringing Kids to first game - seeking advice

ShipUPride

Took my son, who at the time was almost 4, to the Bills v. Rams game last year and it was alright. He had more fun making forts and jumping on the bed at the hotel. He did talk up the Rams cheerleader, which was cool, but he really wasn't into it. Two can be tough, as they get restless and you cannot really enjoy yourself. At least get pictures if you do take him.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is hilarious.........a bunch of people who don't go to preseason games telling a single dad that it's going to be too much work to watch his kids all day.........and that people will resent him bringing his kids when the stadium is full of parents with kids and even kids groups on ticket giveaways......and that it will be raucous with lot's of drunks and F bombs.

Not I. I have brought my kids to preseason games. My only concern for the guy was running zone instead of man defense.

As I stated earlier, I brought my son last season who was 3 and half. He had a great time and there were absolutely no issues. It's so much different than a regular season game. Everyone laughs at bad plays and bad calls, you barely clap for touchdowns, you don't yell for DEFENSE on third downs. It's just a very casual environment for the most part. Of course there will always be a few drunks dropping F-bombs, but they are few a far between for preseason games, and you can easily be sitting next to obnoxious people at a restaraunt. But to be honest, before I had my son, I was one of the "they won't remember, so why do it" idiots. I have actually apologized to parents I have said that to after having my son. There's nothing like seeing your children having fun, I wouldn't spend Disney kind of money for very young child, but will never regret taking him to Bills, Bisons, or Sabres games at an early age.

Edited by ricojes

As I stated earlier, I brought my son last season who was 3 and half. He had a great time and there were absolutely no issues. It's so much different than a regular season game. Everyone laughs at bad plays and bad calls, you barely clap for touchdowns, you don't yell for DEFENSE on third downs. It's just a very casual environment for the most part. Of course there will always be a few drunks dropping F-bombs, but they are few a far between for preseason games, and you can easily be sitting next to obnoxious people at a restaraunt. But to be honest, before I had my son, I was one of the "they won't remember, so why do it" idiots. I have actually apologized to parents I have said that to after having my son. There's nothing like seeing your children having fun, I wouldn't spend Disney kind of money for very young child, but will never regret taking him to Bills, Bisons, or Sabres games at an early age.

We have a 3-1/2 year old grandson who loves NHL games in Nashville (he's a front runner already!). They are tame compared to a regular season Bills game, but preseason is a little more calm. While he had a blast at 3-1/2, at 2 it would have been a very different story. But again, my main point in this whole thing is to each their own. I've learned the hard way to judge less when things are in the gray area. Some things are just plain wrong, and I'll draw the line there so as not to impose my feelings/values on others.

Haven't read the answer but you'll get something from:

1) golly gee there hasn't been an incident of bad will at ANY Bills game EVER... hyuck yuck yuck...

and

2) You are all gonna die.

I've seen a lot of bad stuff go down there but rarely did it happen to people who didn't ask for it multiple times. (At OTHER venues I have seen harmless people set on by horrible drunken losers...)

Keep your head on a swivel and try to avoid anything that is gathering steam.

Dress the kids in bright neon green or red so you can keep an eye on them at all times.

It's preseason as well, so the intensity will not be there that a Brady or Jets visit might entail.

Crap... I can't remember gratuitous activity @ 12, 22, 32, & 42 and probably won't @ 52, & definitely not @ 62, 72, & 82... If I kick that long! LoL... But that is just me. You said you are a single dad, what does the other (not involved in this activity) half have to say about this plan? And I am so sorry if you lost her in anyway outside of both's own volition. Football games are really not toddler geared.

Take 'em skiing, learn a skill they will remember, build on for a lifetime. Maybe that's just as dangerous... He he. Okay, it's summer and you can't travel to the Southern Hemi... Find a rink and strap some blades on them. Teach them to swim, okay, get used to the water @ such an early age. Noboby should be a non-swimmer. That's what you want to teach them while they are young. Balance, water safety, coordination, not sitting in the stands with a bunch of over fed and liquified fat azzes.

Make hay while the sun shines.

Was I too harsh... Then I was too harsh. I contain multitudes. :-)

Don't take them until you think they can fully enjoy football and understand it completely

Why? There's plenty for kids to watch and be interested in at the stadium. Kids want french fries and pepsi, they couldn't care less about an out pattern or what base defense we're running. Shoot, I feel the same way most of the time myself. I'm there for the fun too.

Why? There's plenty for kids to watch and be interested in at the stadium. Kids want french fries and pepsi, they couldn't care less about an out pattern or what base defense we're running. Shoot, I feel the same way most of the time myself. I'm there for the fun too.

In due time. Teach them to walk first.

They are twin 2 year olds with one parent.

My wife's family lived off of Abbott Road... Lackawanna... My father inlaw would walk to the games in 1970s... A haul from the Lake Avenue area... He would take my brother inlaw... But bother inlaw was under 10... So father inlaw would carry him on his shoulders when brother inlaw got tired.

How you gonna manage 2 2-year olds that probably can't walk all that well? Teach them to walk first. Again, teach them other things first, like walking and swimming (summer) before sitting on their azz eating. Eating habits are engrained FOR LIFE right around that age.

Way too young... But it is his right to do whatever.