Holy crap Rob Johnson is a weasel

Posted yesterday

I didn't see it yesterday, and a lot of other people didn't see it yesterday. Let conversations start over, and don't grow a single massive thread, it prevents new people from joining and sets a single narrative.

This has been a major shift in the last year, and it is making this board less spontaneous, creative and interesting.

Both QBs were a steaming pile of crap... never forget how shabbily Flutie treated Andre. That was flat out bull**it that is burned into my brain.

IMO it is a bad look...real bad... For RJ bringing up Fluties kid. No need and not cool. Especially when everything else is so correct. Flutie was horrible and very self centered. RJ was also very bad but he did give back to the community and sought no publicity. Flutie was 100% about publicity.

Dude, always go to the original story. Second stories often start games of Chinese Whispers as they re-phrase and paraphrase and add and subtract. The link to the original was right in the story.

The story you're attacking totally makes up one at least one thing. The writer says, "Despite Flutie's accolades, Johnson told Sports Illustrated that he felt he should have been the team's starting quarterback in 1999 based on his stats."

Go read the original story. Johnson may well have felt he deserved to start but he didn't say so in the story this guy is poorly re-phrasing.

The whole Flutie / Johnson part of the original story is here:

"DOUG FLUTIE, who in 1998 signed with the Bills straight out of the CFL, and then battled three straight camps with Rob Johnson, who arrived from Jacksonville in exchange for first- and fourth-round draft picks: 'When I signed it was, Well, I’ll have a chance to compete for the starting job. Weeks later Rob signs for big money. Mine was a very minimal contract, so the writing was on the wall. That’s when the goal kind of shifted to, I just hope I make the team.'

"JOHNSON: 'When Doug signed it was kind of a joke, to be honest—no offense to Doug. No one in the NFL really thought much of it. Until I got hurt [in Week 1] and he got his chance and played well, it wasn’t really thought of that seriously. [Flutie won Comeback Player of the Year that season and then signed a four-year $22 million extension.] When they signed Doug to a big deal, I was like, All right, I’m out. I was over it.'

"FLUTIE: '[in 1999], I had a legitimate contract now, but I honestly don’t recall any friction at that point. He probably hoped he’d be the guy to play.'

"JOHNSON: 'My stats [in 1998] were better than his, but his win-loss record was better than mine. It was the perfect storm. He was the underdog; I was a prototypical quarterback with size. He had the autistic son he did commercials with—that pulled at people’s heartstrings; I was the surfer boy from California. A local radio station had this skit where they used a high-pitched voice for Doug, I guess because he was short, and I sounded like Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. It was hilarious. That’s how people thought of it.'

"FLUTIE: 'I know fans have a tendency to root for the little guy or the underdog. That may have been all that was. I don’t know how his relationship with the fans was. I just went out and played.'

"​As Flutie, Johnson and many others have come to realize: Whatever you’re told the day you sign, that isn’t always the reality when you get to camp."

That's it. There just isn't a whole lot here. But if you're going to get upset, at least get upset at what the guy actually said.

Amazing how we still fight over the last playoff appearance.

BTW I was filled with glee and joy when the Titans lost that Super Bowl by one yard :)

Me, too. Absolutely loved it.

Edited by Thurman#1

I didn't see it yesterday, and a lot of other people didn't see it yesterday. Let conversations start over, and don't grow a single massive thread, it prevents new people from joining and sets a single narrative.

This has been a major shift in the last year, and it is making this board less spontaneous, creative and interesting.

It was posted yesterday but closed and locked after a few pages for some reason (maybe it didn't have enough references to Chad Kelly and Mia Khalifa).

I agree. Too many people have a hangup with similar threads. Who cares? If you don't like it, don't read it!

Like most posters, if I post in a thread, I like to go back later and see if my post had any responses. When I see that a thread has like 50 pages, I don't bother. Who wants to read thru all that crap?!

Then there are those that point out that you should use the search function. Depending on the subject matter, the search also can return dozens of related posts. Again, who wants to look thru all of them to see if your point has already been made?

Bills could have made a serious Super Bowl run that year--we were better than Tenessee, to this day I cannot understand why they started Johnson???

And you can't mess with karma, since that day the Bills have been under the Flutie curse with terrible QB play and we have not sniffed a playoff game since.

I think it will take something like a Tyrod mad scramble for the winning touchdown on the last play of the game in the last game of the season to get the Bills into the playoffs, to remove that curse. Let's hope.

Edited by CSBill

Johnson was a dick? No ****? I liked Flutie but that didn't mean he wasn't a dick too. They're highly paid pro athletes. Go figure. We spin this the way we want.

This. And the stories about Flutie's internal politicking and real personality were legendary at the time. Glad this era is long gone.