Josh Rosen's Comments on academics and football

So no one is ever supposed to complain about working conditions or career path requirements even if they don't make much sense. They should just shut up, never complain, and pretend that the big-time D1 college football system is the best system that there ever was.

All things considered it is a very very good one, for reality.

I would have them throw the keys on the table and say "we're creating a superleague of a dozen or so teams" and let the academic schools opt out of funding Division 1 football. It's killing them financially and in reputation and they'd gladly leave right now.

I've read the vast majority of the 119 or so are so done with Division 1 football already.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he is a spoiled, elitist, rich kid prima donna?

And the corrective for that is an ass-kicking? Is that your recommended solution for all people whose personality, views, wealth (or lack thereof) offend you? Kick their ass?

I've followed Rosen since his high school days. I am not one of those who think he's a guaranteed franchise QB and would not be excited to see him with the Bills (this season could change my opinion). But from what I know about him, he is not spoiled, nor an elitist nor a prima donna. His father is relatively wealthy though. He might be a bit "jerk-y" but that's different than "prima donna."

So now Rosen is an expert on the academic quality of The University of Alabama?

His comments were nonsensical. The guy is a douche and likely a cancer in the locker room.

You derived this from his comments?

The average ACT score for student athletes at UCLA in 2014 was 21.5. That's piss poor given that Rosen is suggesting that UCLA has such high academic standards,

And the corrective for that is an ass-kicking? Is that your recommended solution for all people whose personality, views, wealth (or lack thereof) offend you? Kick their ass?

I've followed Rosen since his high school days. I am not one of those who think he's a guaranteed franchise QB and would not be excited to see him with the Bills (this season could change my opinion). But from what I know about him, he is not spoiled, nor an elitist nor a prima donna. His father is relatively wealthy though. He might be a bit "jerk-y" but that's different than "prima donna."

Give me a break. Ever hear of locker room fodder?

Do you condone this behavior? If you don't like Trump, don't play on his golf course. Simple.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/04/11/uclas-josh-rosen-wears-hat-special-message-donald-trump

The average ACT score for student athletes at UCLA in 2014 was 21.5. That's piss poor given that Rosen is suggesting that UCLA has such high academic standards,

UCLA is not on-the-face-of-it a school of immediate scholarly recognition like a Vandy or Northwestern or Cal Berkeley.

Michigan thinks it's high and might also, LOL...

Huh???

Football has ZERO to do with academic learning. Football and, say, engineering or comparative literature are not in the same universe. If you want to be an engineer or historian, you better damn well go to college. And rightly so.

You appear to be relying on a "that's the way it's always been done" argument punctuated with resentment towards people you believe are spoiled for offering a dissenting voice about what in my view is an essentially corrupt system.

You don't get it. You clearly don't. Algebra has absolutely nothing to do with Law. Nothing. But you know what? You need a damn college degree in order to apply to law school. And you know what, you need to know algebra in order to obtain a college degree. Go complain about it how it's not fair. We all know it's not "fair" but we suck it the hell up and go through with it, you know why? Bc we want to reach that goal. If we didn't want to reach that goal, we would drop out.

The NFL is a PRIVATE EMPLOYER. The NFL can say they want you to stand on one foot for half an hour while chewing gum and reciting the alphabet backwards before you're eligible for hire. And you know what? THEY CAN DO THAT. If you don't want to jump through that hoop, then you shouldn't apply to the NFL. The NFL wants their employees to attend college for a few years before they can apply. They have every right to request that.

The NFL is great for the thousand or so with a shot at a pro career. And that pro career is honestly a disaster for 2/3 of those who sign a contract.

College is a system draining hundreds of thousands of any chance a kid has in life by getting a free ride to a degree while playing football (but not in a pro-career seriousness)

I find this interesting. None of the CEOs of the top 10 Fortune 500 companies have more than a BS/BA degree. 8 graduated from state universities. 2 graduated from SEC schools. 3 have engineering degrees. None went to elite schools. Nary a MBA in the lot.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2016-06-27/colleges-where-top-ceos-earned-their-degrees

A lot of hype about "top schools" is branding.

You don't get it. You clearly don't. Algebra has absolutely nothing to do with Law. Nothing. But you know what? You need a damn college degree in order to apply to law school. And you know what, you need to know algebra in order to obtain a college degree. Go complain about it how it's not fair. We all know it's not "fair" but we suck it the hell up and go through with it, you know why? Bc we want to reach that goal. If we didn't want to reach that goal, we would drop out.

The NFL is a PRIVATE EMPLOYER. The NFL can say they want you to stand on one foot for half an hour while chewing gum and reciting the alphabet backwards before you're eligible for hire. And you know what? THEY CAN DO THAT. If you don't want to jump through that hoop, then you shouldn't apply to the NFL. The NFL wants their employees to attend college for a few years before they can apply. They have every right to request that.

The players do have a union - they can absolutely protest the requirement of players to attend university. But why would they when they already have concerns about player safety, pensions, and law suits. The NCAA racket has prevented collegiate athletes from creating a union, and they use your abilities for their own profit and gain.

Again, huh? Law is a classic academic pursuit that requires a fair amount of knowledge of history, political science, philosophy, and - if you do corporate law - at least some math. Football has nothing to do with anything remotely intellectual. They are not in the same universe. Football is not school. Law school is "school."

Also: you're reiterating the shut-up-and-don't-ever-voice-dissent approach to the issue.

I find this interesting. None of the CEOs of the top 10 Fortune 500 companies have more than a BS/BA degree. 8 graduated from state universities. 2 graduated from SEC schools. 3 have engineering degrees. None went to elite schools. Nary a MBA in the lot.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2016-06-27/colleges-where-top-ceos-earned-their-degrees

A lot of hype about "top schools" is branding.

I don't know what you're actually trying to prove, but what you are proving is that you are taking the fact that he used Alabama as an example wayyy too personally. He's against the entire system, not Alabama's academic standards specifically.

I don't know what you're actually trying to prove, but what you are proving is that you are taking the fact that he used Alabama as an example wayyy too personally. He's against the entire system, not Alabama's academic standards specifically.

You do have to admit that calling out Alabama was in poor taste though. There was no need for it.

You do have to admit that calling out Alabama was in poor taste though. There was no need for it.

Not really. He wanted to use an example and chose the best football school in the country. If he would have used VT I wouldn't feel any differently, but he didn't because we aren't the football presence that Alabama is.

hm, not really. it has to start somewhere. issues can't be addressed until they're acknowledged. honestly, I'm glad he spoke.

He called out Alabama and Clemson.because he is an ignorant, spoiled elitist,

Not the sort of leader of men you want at QB.

Edited by Sky Diver

UCLA is not on-the-face-of-it a school of immediate scholarly recognition like a Vandy or Northwestern or Cal Berkeley.

Michigan thinks it's high and might also, LOL...

As a university (importantly, I'm including graduate programs), UCLA and Michigan are heads and shoulders above Vanderbilt; above Northwestern; and below Berkeley. And what I'm saying here is the conventional wisdom, for whatever that is worth.

Vanderbilt is a phenomenal undergraduate institution and I don't mean to demean it at all. But if you have a PhD in, say, political science from Michigan, you are far more likely to get a job as a professor than if your PhD is from Vanderbilt. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/09/03/study-examines-trends-phd-programs-produce-political-science-professors

I realize we are talking about undergrads here, of course.

Guest NeckBeard

The NFL, if I am correct, requires players (who are not employees of the league but rather of their respective team if I am correct) to either attend college for three years, or to be out of high school for three years, before attempting to join the league. Maurice Clarett tried to buck this trend over a decade ago and then failed. Certainly, the easiest path to get into the league is through playing college ball, but it's not a requirement. I'm not even sure that the league "wants" players to attend college; I just think that the easiest path for all involved.

Not really. He wanted to use an example and chose the best football school in the country. If he would have used VT I wouldn't feel any differently, but he didn't because we aren't the football presence that Alabama is.

I understand, but one can make a point without using examples that throw others under the bus.

The NFL, if I am correct, requires players (who are not employees of the league but rather of their respective team if I am correct) to either attend college for three years, or to be out of high school for three years, before attempting to join the league. Maurice Clarett tried to buck this trend over a decade ago and then failed. Certainly, the easiest path to get into the league is through playing college ball, but it's not a requirement. I'm not even sure that the league "wants" players to attend college; I just think that the easiest path for all involved.

It is for all intents and purposes a requirement. I can't think of one player in the NFL who didn't get there through the college system.