Bills Release 1st Unofficial Depth Chart

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That defensive backfield depth chart seems dangerously thin...

And the DE's.

I know Shaq and Yarbrough have been playing above expectation in camp but if they can't rush the passer in this defense they are going to have to score a lot of points even if the secondary stays healthy.

Agree. Especially the defensive backfield (even more so now they Kevon Seymour is missing time with some type of foot injury). Can't afford to lose any CB or S to injury.

Maybe they'll luck out and some players will really step up in preseason (I can hope right?).

I am fully expecting that the Bills will look to add some depth (at a few positions, hopefully) after cuts to 53. I wonder if cutting rosters directly to 53 will,help the Bills out? There will be a lot more players available at the same time. Might give Buffalo a chance to snag a decent player or two.

My take is there are only four newcomers that are absolute locks. Hyde, Poyer, Tolbert, and White. In White's case he is the unquestioned starter even as a rookie.

It appears to me in almost every other case, McDermott has deferred to the veteran. I like this approach a lot. Especially when it comes to the first pre-season game. Give the vets first team snaps and a series or two in the first game. Then let all the new faces compete and show their skills on the field against equivalent level of competition. If a few guys shine in that role, then they earn some first team reps in practice the following week.

If Ragland shows some nice instinctive angles and maybe gets over the fear of his knee, then given the kid a few reps at first team MLB next week.

Same goes for Dawkins, Ducasse, and Jones. If they play well against Minnesota look for their first team snaps to increase.

If the other back-up linebackers show a little something, let Lorax sit for the second playoff game and give a kid a shot with the 1's and see what happens.

Interested to hear what others think.

My take is there are only four newcomers that are absolute locks. Hyde, Poyer, Tolbert, and White. In White's case he is the unquestioned starter even as a rookie.

It appears to me in almost every other case, McDermott has deferred to the veteran. I like this approach a lot. Especially when it comes to the first pre-season game. Give the vets first team snaps and a series or two in the first game. Then let all the new faces compete and show their skills on the field against equivalent level of competition. If a few guys shine in that role, then they earn some first team reps in practice the following week.

If Ragland shows some nice instinctive angles and maybe gets over the fear of his knee, then given the kid a few reps at first team MLB next week.

Same goes for Dawkins, Ducasse, and Jones. If they play well against Minnesota look for their first team snaps to increase.

If the other back-up linebackers show a little something, let Lorax sit for the second playoff game and give a kid a shot with the 1's and see what happens.

Interested to hear what others think.

I would add Houshka, Jones, Dawkins, Peterman, and Boldin to that list.

Disappointed that Gerald Hodges isn't stepping up and claiming The starting job.

He has already jumped one rung and they haven't played any games yet. He has 4 chances to put it on film against other teams. For all we know, maybe Humber really is flourishing in this system. But there's lots of time still.