A new frontier in PEDs

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-07-31/lugworm-frequently-used-bait-could-save-human-lives

The story is about how lugworm hemoglobin can be used to save lives in medicine. But one thing stood out to me: lugworm hemoglobin can carry 40x the oxygen from lung to tissue that human hemoglobin can.

One has to wonder how this amazing improvement in oxygen capacity will eventually find its way into sports, and if it would even be detectable?

I would think it would show up in the blood as extracellular hemoglobin, so you'd need a blood test. A universal artificial blood would be an amazing advance, too. It's exactly what the vampires need to come out into the open.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-07-31/lugworm-frequently-used-bait-could-save-human-lives

The story is about how lugworm hemoglobin can be used to save lives in medicine. But one thing stood out to me: lugworm hemoglobin can carry 40x the oxygen from lung to tissue that human hemoglobin can.

One has to wonder how this amazing improvement in oxygen capacity will eventually find its way into sports, and if it would even be detectable?

the body at rest has a 99% saturation rate of max O2 in the blood.

In healthy athletes I doubt that can be improved.... Something else needs to metabolize that oxygen faster for it to be enhancing.. But i didn't' really get into the science of the article so just tossing that out there .

Edited by ddaryl

No offense, Mr. Robot, but any team that has to use the actual ball in the logo to identify which sport they play clearly has a history of major poopie stains on sidewalks

Uh, you realize the Yankess have a baseball in their logo too, right? As well as the Giants, Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays, Twins, Brewers, Rockies, and Dodgers. And that doesn't even count secondary logos. What a bizarre and completely untrue statement in that post.

Edited by Mark80

the body at rest has a 99% saturation rate of max O2 in the blood.

In healthy athletes I doubt that can be improved.... Something else needs to metabolize that oxygen faster for it to be enhancing.. But i didn't' really get into the science of the article so just tossing that out there .

But how about a super-aerobic sport like track or cycling? Would the added oxygen be a boost to performance? In football and other team sports it could enhance stamina, I suppose.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

But how about a super-aerobic sport like track or cycling? Would the added oxygen be a boost to performance? In football and other team sports it could enhance stamina, I suppose.

It would certainly help in cycling... like EPO... which increased the hemoglobin in the blood which was intended to prevent chemo patients from becoming anemic. Cyclists used it heavily back in the Lance Armstrong days... and they likely still use it IMO.

Cards and Yankees have a bat, that helps me figure out what sport they are playing.

One could be forgiven for not seeing the baseball in the Yankees logo.

Blue Jays in the past have had a ball in the logo.

Uh, you realize the Yankess have a baseball in their logo too, right? As well as the Giants, Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays, Twins, Brewers, Rockies, and Dodgers. And that doesn't even count secondary logos. What a bizarre and completely untrue statement in that post.

Agreed. Man talk about a guy out of touch. Virtually every MLB and NBA teams use a ball in primary or secondary logos. NFL not as much.

Sweet where can I get some?

Seemingly fair enough, but while the Metrpolitan logo designers could not even understand the concept of the stitching on a baseball, the Dodgers logo isn't really a ball at all- more like Star-Shine flying over your ever-appreciating of the glory of it all self.

Btw, how many inches of thread in a baseball? 88... and what happened in '88- as a sub-par historian might be wont to ask... Kirk Gibson and the Dodgers happened in '88- that's what happened in '88!

Call ME unintellibuntal!