Define the Midwest

Yes. And capitals. Rivers, mountains... One of my minors was Geography.

Not you BUFFALOKIE... You get it.

And no offense, many knowledgeable people out there. But to say Peoria, Illinois or Indianapolis, Indiana is NOT Midwest, that's insane!

No cheating.

Name the only state in US that is bounded by a river on both East and West sides. Total boundary on each side a river. So that means to enter it from west or east, you have to cross a river.

Extra Credit (Easy): Only capital you can't drive to. Well, take a road into it or out of.

Well, I cheated a little by looking at the map you posted of the Midwest, and looking at the east/west border, my guess is Iowa.i will look further after this post.

Honolulu.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. You gotta be the first I ever heard this from. START @ MS river? LoL.

What do you call WI, MI, IL, IN, OH?

Even a Midwestern guy like Bob Seeger, from Michigan got it. You are totally clueless. I am taking that Seeger is singing about his Midwestern take on it:

"She stood there bright as the sun

On that California coast

He was a Midwestern boy on his own

She looked at him with those soft eyes

So innocent and blue..."

Yeah... He's singing from a "west of the MS" perspective. Seeger is quintessentially Midwestern and he's from Detroit!

You gotta be kidding!

Another Midwest reference in his songs:

"Yeah, it happens out in Vegas, it happens in Moline..."

Moline is EAST of MS River.

This is a straight up Google search, do you (Joe Miner) know where MS River is? Try to find it on this map, if you can:

3998813_orig.jpg

Now... I would actually trim this classic map definition of Midwest down to only include area ABOVE or NORTH Missouri River. Rest is more Central Plains.

Some of you here are really geographically challenged... I would love to give a test and see where people pencil in the MO River.

Upper Midwest or as many refer to it, Great Lakes region.

But since you don't live in the Midwest, I'm not surprised you don't know where it is.

But gee, I guess if Bob Seger says so...

Well, I cheated a little by looking at the map you posted of the Midwest, and looking at the east/west border, my guess is Iowa.i will look further after this post.

Honolulu.

Ha! Yes Iowa. Planted square in Midwest!

No. Juneau.

You can drive into Honolulu from other parts of Oahu.

But Hawaii doesn't count. ;-P. Just the continent. ;-)

Upper Midwest or as many refer to it, Great Lakes region.

But since you don't live in the Midwest, I'm not surprised you don't know where it is.

But gee, I guess if Bob Seger says so...

So Peoria, Illinois is NOT Midwest. Kankakee, Illinois the same? Indianapolis?

Great Lakes is subset of Midwest.

You're an idiot.

Thanks Tom.

"Upper Midwest" is Minny-St.Paul.

EDIT: WESTERN Great Lakes. Not that there is much Eastern Great Lakes outside the Midwest. :-/

Ha! Yes Iowa. Planted square in Midwest!

No. Juneau.

You can drive into Honolulu from other parts of Oahu.

But Hawaii doesn't count. ;-P. Just the continent. ;-)

So Peoria, Illinois is NOT Midwest. Kankakee, Illinois the same? Indianapolis?

Great Lakes is subset of Midwest.

You're an idiot.

Thanks Tom.

"Upper Midwest" is Minny-St.Paul.

EDIT: WESTERN Great Lakes. Not that there is much Eastern Great Lakes outside the Midwest. :-/

Use your mapping skills.

Find the entire state of Illinois.

Anything in that state boundary is not Midwest.

Because it's part of the great lakes region.

Why would you include it?

WESTERN Great Lakes are part of the Midwest region The Midwest is bigger than Great Lakes. Great Lakes are a sub region, usually divided into two parts eastern and western amongst the Northeast and Midwest.

You are smokin' crack if you don't think Green Bay, Oshkosh, Milwaukee, South Bend, Toledo, Detroit is NOT the Midwest.

So East St.Louis, Illinois is not the Midwest? Peoria? Rock Island, Moline, Madison... But magically cross the mighty MS and go through the Arch and GATEWAY TO THE WEST and you enter the Midwest by the providence of the geography fairies!

You're on glue. Since when has it been called: St.Louis, "Gateway to the Midwest"

LMAO!

If anything, everything west of MS River is just: "The West." Turn your radio station on. Gee... Must be true. Station call letters in Seattle, WA or Keokuk, IA both begin with a "K!" Yeah, your idiocy is making me sarcastic.

You gotta be trolling.

I live in Will County, closer to Joliet and Kankakee than Chicago and Lake. Yeah, this just screams "Great Lakes!"

"...All along the southbound odyssey

The train pulled out at Kankakee

And rolls along past houses, farms and fields

Passin' trains that have no names

And freight yards full of old black men

And the graveyards of the rusted automobiles

Good morning, America

How are you?..."

You gotta be trolling and definitely NOT rolling, unless it's a blunt!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Definitive

East Coast - East of the Appalachian's and Adirondacks mountains.

West Coast - West of the Rockies and the Sierra-Nevada mountains. (West of the Continental Divide)

Argumentative -

Central - States bordering the Mighty Mississippi.

Other than that I call em Red States.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States

Hmmm... I see Joe Miner has been reading Wiki as the Bible... Which isn't all wrong:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_region#/search

Of course there is overlap. You wouldn't say people on Long Island don't live in the Northeast. But, that is basically what Joe Miner is saying by saying somebody in Peoria doesn't live in the Midwest.

I personally just happen to live in both regions. Same as the person in Oshkosh or South Bend. But Midwest supercedes the more specific Great Lakes region. The Midwest is a more important economic & cultural player when there is overlap of regions.

"The Midwest influences the Great Lakes region MORE, but the Great Lakes does NOT influence the Midwest more."

Also:

"The western Great Lakes region is IN the Midwest."

And anyway, my schit flows south and NOT to the Great Lakes. ;-) Will pass through three people, one in Peoria, one in St.Louis, and another in Memphis before a person in New Orleans laps it up. ;-)

Definitive

East Coast - East of the Appalachian's and Adirondacks mountains.

West Coast - West of the Rockies and the Sierra-Nevada mountains. (West of the Continental Divide)

Argumentative -

Central - States bordering the Mighty Mississippi.

Other than that I call em Red States.

You know there are more continental divides other than the Great Divide. A few lay east of the MS River, I happen to work exactly on one of them:

NorthAmericaDivides.gif

Maybe we should regionalize by that map?

WESTERN Great Lakes are part of the Midwest region The Midwest is bigger than Great Lakes. Great Lakes are a sub region, usually divided into two parts eastern and western amongst the Northeast and Midwest.

You are smokin' crack if you don't think Green Bay, Oshkosh, Milwaukee, South Bend, Toledo, Detroit is NOT the Midwest.

So East St.Louis, Illinois is not the Midwest? Peoria? Rock Island, Moline, Madison... But magically cross the mighty MS and go through the Arch and GATEWAY TO THE WEST and you enter the Midwest by the providence of the geography fairies!

You're on glue. Since when has it been called: St.Louis, "Gateway to the Midwest"

LMAO!

If anything, everything west of MS River is just: "The West." Turn your radio station on. Gee... Must be true. Station call letters in Seattle, WA or Keokuk, IA both begin with a "K!" Yeah, your idiocy is making me sarcastic.

You gotta be trolling.

I live in Will County, closer to Joliet and Kankakee than Chicago and Lake. Yeah, this just screams "Great Lakes!"

"...All along the southbound odyssey

The train pulled out at Kankakee

And rolls along past houses, farms and fields

Passin' trains that have no names

And freight yards full of old black men

And the graveyards of the rusted automobiles

Good morning, America

How are you?..."

You gotta be trolling and definitely NOT rolling, unless it's a blunt!

You live in the great lakes region, not the Midwest.

The people in the Midwest do not recognize those states as being in the Midwest.

Once when the country stopped at the Mississippi, the area between the Mississippi and the Appalachians would have been Midwest.

The country expanded.

Deal with it.

Definitive: Which way does your poo flow.

Looking at that map? Hmmmm... Where is "Midwest" and "Great Lakes" region again?

That big old pie plate from the Red River (N.Dakota) to Texas and the Gulf sure looks: "Mid" and "West" of the Eastern Seaboard. Of course we know the East Coast is the center of the universe! ;-)

Yeah... That's a stretch as all "Midwest" but I will throw it out there.

It's laughable to say the Great Lakes region encompasses the other 98% of states like Illinois and Indiana! Not laughable to say that 2% of the Great Lakes region economically controls 98% of the rest of the Great Lakes region! It's why states like Illinois/Indiana battled so hard for their state's Great Lakes borders... Indiana, 1816. Illinois, 1818 when it swindled Wisconsin and pushed that border and the Cheese Eaters further to the north. WI had to wait 30 years later to enter Union (1848). Why there was a "war" fought between Michigan Territory and Ohio for the Toledo Strip. That deal, truce enabled Michigan to swipe the Upper Peninsula away from Wisconsin Territory in exchange for Ohio getting the Toledo Strip.

The divides are all there for You to see.

Why is there a mideast?

Westward Expansion. Midwest was the Northwest at one time.

You live in the great lakes region, not the Midwest.

The people in the Midwest do not recognize those states as being in the Midwest.

Once when the country stopped at the Mississippi, the area between the Mississippi and the Appalachians would have been Midwest.

The country expanded.

Deal with it.

Show me a map of your "Midwest."

Post the image.

Here's my Midwest:

midwest-map.jpg

Now you go Joe.

Definitive: Which way does your poo flow.

Looking at that map? Hmmmm... Where is "Midwest" and "Great Lakes" region again?

That big old pie plate from the Red River (N.Dakota) to Texas and the Gulf sure looks: "Mid" and "West" of the Eastern Seaboard. Of course we know the East Coast is the center of the universe! ;-)

Yeah... That's a stretch as all "Midwest" but I will throw it out there.

It's laughable to say the Great Lakes region encompasses the other 98% of states like Illinois and Indiana! Not laughable to say that 2% of the Great Lakes region economically controls 98% of the rest of the Great Lakes region! It's why states like Illinois/Indiana battled so hard for their state's Great Lakes borders... Indiana, 1816. Illinois, 1818 when it swindled Wisconsin and pushed that border and the Cheese Eaters further to the north. WI had to wait 30 years later to enter Union (1848). Why there was a "war" fought between Michigan Territory and Ohio for the Toledo Strip. That deal, truce enabled Michigan to swipe the Upper Peninsula away from Wisconsin Territory in exchange for Ohio getting the Toledo Strip.

The divides are all there for You to see.

Westward Expansion. Midwest was the Northwest at one time.

People in the Midwest laugh when the national news talks about a Midwest occurrence that took place in Indiana. Edited by Joe Miner

Wow. You gotta be the first I ever heard this from. START @ MS river? LoL.

What do you call WI, MI, IL, IN, OH?

Even a Midwestern guy like Bob Seeger, from Michigan got it. You are totally clueless. I am taking that Seeger is singing about his Midwestern take on it:

"She stood there bright as the sun

On that California coast

He was a Midwestern boy on his own

She looked at him with those soft eyes

So innocent and blue..."

Yeah... He's singing from a "west of the MS" perspective. Seeger is quintessentially Midwestern and he's from Detroit!

You gotta be kidding!

Another Midwest reference in his songs:

"Yeah, it happens out in Vegas, it happens in Moline..."

Moline is EAST of MS River.

This is a straight up Google search, do you (Joe Miner) know where MS River is? Try to find it on this map, if you can:

3998813_orig.jpg

Now... I would actually trim this classic map definition of Midwest down to only include area ABOVE or NORTH Missouri River. Rest is more Central Plains.

Some of you here are really geographically challenged... I would love to give a test and see where people pencil in the MO River.

Pete "Seeger"

Bob "Seger"

Sorry, had to.

Why isn't there a mideast?

We have problems with that designation already.....we like to call it, Mid-Atlantic.