July Movies: Spider-Man, Apes, Dunkirk, & Atomic Blonde

I'll see it anyway - and drag the wife to it - because 1) It's Nolan, who's a director I implicitly trust, and 2) it looks visually stunning, even for a Nolan movie. It's got to be better than Pearl Harbor, which still makes me viscerally angry for it's craven stupidity.

I was sold from the first teaser trailer they put out. It had nothing but a group of guys in a boat looking up while you heard the sound of some artillery approaching. It was so simple but it left me wanting to see more.

Weekend at Dunkirk (1964)

In June 1940, during the Dunkirk evacuation of Allied troops to England, French sergeant Julien Maillat and his men debate whether to evacuate to Britain or stay and fight the German troops that are closing-in from all directions.

http://www.imdb.com/.../?ref_=kw_li_tt

I was hoping for some sort of Weekend at Bernie's joke with this one.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sold from the first teaser trailer they put out. It had nothing but a group of guys in a boat looking up while you heard the sound of some artillery approaching. It was so simple but it left me wanting to see more.

I was hoping for some sort of Weekend at Bernie's joke with this one.

Never saw movie so hard to make joke on it.

Finally saw Wonder Woman. Was thinking through the whole movie "This movie's good, but isn't as great as people made it out to be...except in comparison to the rest of the DCU, in which case it's phenomenal."

That's a fair assessment. I thought it was enjoyable - but problematic in nitpicky ways.

I'm also hearing that Dunkirk is going to amaze people. Some people I trust who saw it say it's going to be what Nolan's remembered for... Of course as they were gushing about it I was laughing in the back of my mind imagining how many historical inaccuracies and flaws you're going to find in it as you watch. :lol:

One of the things that surprised me was that it's actually a decent anti-war movie, particularly in that it avoided many of the "anti-war-hero" tropes and just portrayed war as hell (as best it could within the bounds of its rating.)

I enjoyed "Wonder Woman", it was a good movie. I also agree that it's getting a bit more praise than it deserves.

I remember one headline review that read "Wonder Woman Saves the Genre". I didn't know the comic book movie genre needed saving. If they meant the DC universe, I would agree. Especially after the last 2 duds.

I enjoyed "Wonder Woman", it was a good movie. I also agree that it's getting a bit more praise than it deserves.

I remember one headline review that read "Wonder Woman Saves the Genre". I didn't know the comic book movie genre needed saving. If they meant the DC universe, I would agree. Especially after the last 2 duds.

100% agree. :beer:

I don't think I have ever watched any of the Apes series, Woody looked pretty bad ass on the commercial. This might be a redbox event for us.

I saw "War for the Planet of the Apes" this weekend. It was great.

Amazing how they are able to convey such emotion, intensity, drama and in some cases horror, all into a subject that many would find silly.

This has been an excellent trilogy of movies. "War" is without a doubt one of the better mainstream movies I have seen this year.

I saw "War for the Planet of the Apes" this weekend. It was great.

Amazing how they are able to convey such emotion, intensity, drama and in some cases horror, all into a subject that many would find silly.

This has been an excellent trilogy of movies. "War" is without a doubt one of the better mainstream movies I have seen this year.

I realize it's impossible to give Andy Serkis an Oscar for his performance as Ceasar, since they don't know how yo categorize it (acting or effects).

So the Academy needs to create a special achievement award for Serkis and the effects crew, because his performance - moving like a chimp, but showing human emotion through facial expressions - is remarkable.

I realize it's impossible to give Andy Serkis an Oscar for his performance as Ceasar, since they don't know how yo categorize it (acting or effects).

So the Academy needs to create a special achievement award for Serkis and the effects crew, because his performance - moving like a chimp, but showing human emotion through facial expressions - is remarkable.

I agree. They should recognize Serkis and the effects crew.

You've got to know someone at the Academy. Make it happen!

Or maybe I'll start a change.org petition.

Deranged Rhino must know someone at the Academy.

If something like this were to happen, it would change everything.

"Toy Story 3" should have won Best Picture in 2010, a move like this would make things viable for all movies and performances. They could no longer be ignored.

I think it'll happen. He'll get a lifetime for sure at some point, but even before then I bet he's going to breakthrough and get at least a nomination as a nod to his overall achievement. Maybe this year because people really seem to like Apes as well as critics (I still haven't seen it), but it's a long shot.

I think it'll happen. He'll get a lifetime for sure at some point, but even before then I bet he's going to breakthrough and get at least a nomination as a nod to his overall achievement. Maybe this year because people really seem to like Apes as well as critics (I still haven't seen it), but it's a long shot.

I would love it if he did get nominated.

He should have been nominated long ago for his performance as Gollum.

I dare say that "War for the Planet of the Apes" deserves a Best Picture nomination. I felt the same way about "Dawn", these movies are THAT good.

Spiderman was really good. I'm amazed at how well Marvel is able to weave this huge world together in these solo films. The team ups tend to be a bit bloated, but the solo films have been really well done. They give you just a little hint towards the rest of the world, while still focusing heavily on the main character. Originally I was really worried that there would be too much Ironman, but I think they found just about the perfect amount of screen time for him.

On a side note, it's been fun watching this little resurgence Michael Keaton has had in recent years.

Spiderman was really good. I'm amazed at how well Marvel is able to weave this huge world together in these solo films. The team ups tend to be a bit bloated, but the solo films have been really well done. They give you just a little hint towards the rest of the world, while still focusing heavily on the main character. Originally I was really worried that there would be too much Ironman, but I think they found just about the perfect amount of screen time for him.

On a side note, it's been fun watching this little resurgence Michael Keaton has had in recent years.

I agree with all of this.

Marvel has done a spectacular job with keeping everything in these movies both entertaining and interesting. The teases of the bigger world are great. I too was worried as to how much screen time Iron Man would have, but his part in the movie was satisfying.

Michael Keaton was great. "Hey Pedro."

Finally, we all have to have one thing to keep us strong for these movies....."Patience".

Last movie we saw - whatever it was - had the trailer for Dunkirk. After it was done, my wife asked me how many mistakes I saw.

Five. In the trailer. I really need to get a life.

I'm also hearing that Dunkirk is going to amaze people. Some people I trust who saw it say it's going to be what Nolan's remembered for... Of course as they were gushing about it I was laughing in the back of my mind imagining how many historical inaccuracies and flaws you're going to find in it as you watch. :lol:

I'll see it anyway - and drag the wife to it - because 1) It's Nolan, who's a director I implicitly trust, and 2) it looks visually stunning, even for a Nolan movie. It's got to be better than Pearl Harbor, which still makes me viscerally angry for it's craven stupidity.

Just got back from watching "Dunkirk". Great movie.

A harrowing watch it is. You're immersed into what is happening from the get go. A lot of the characters are non-descript, to the point that we never learn their names.

The tension is high, and there are several claustrophobic moments. The basis of this movie is, survival.

Christopher Nolan does a great job in keeping the audience involved with these characters, as you keep wondering what will happen to them.

Fantastic cinematography, and nice performances by Tom Hardy & Cillian Murphy. Well done.