Question relating to real estate law:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the returning of the security deposit is her agreeing that there were no damages.

Exactly. After the walk through. Done deal.

Sounds like a shoddy operator. We always took photos of everything and noted anything less than perfect on a detailed checklist. Everyone signs off. Nothing to argue after that.

Dark and lonely on the summer night.
Kill my landlord, kill my landlord.
Watchdog barking - Do he bite?
Slip in his window,
Break his neck!
Then his house
I start to wreck!
Got no reason --
What the heck!
C-I-L-L ...
My land - lord ...
Def!

Yeah... I can't figure her ballsy motive. Did she think that you weren't going to show in court? Was new place far away? Different state? Get a default judgement on you?

1,000 bucks legal? In small claims on $2500 and first wanting a $500 settlement.

I so wish you could get this to People's Court. Wear a Bills/Sabres shirt JSP!

:-)

Can you win your legal fees on this? Bring it on, baby.

How much are we charging! AND not those rip offs Fergy & Chef, they are probably colluding to jack up the fee! ;-)

Some Labatt Blue and Sahlen's hotdogs with Weber's will do. Oh wait JSP is not in BFLo!

Remember we're Bills fans, the other shoe always drops, let's not jinx him! He gets the flu and can't make it to court or something.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

How much are we charging! AND not those rip offs Fergy & Chef, they are probably colluding to jack up the fee! ;-)

Some Labatt Blue and Sahlen's hotdogs with Weber's will do. Oh wait JSP is not in BFLo!

Remember we're Bills fans, the other shoe always drops, let's not jinx him! He gets the flu and can't make it to court or something.

I think the thought of having to pay legal fees would be a nice deterrent, as they can quickly exceed the damages sought. We spent somewhere between a very nice new car and a small house on our sons child custody case, and it ended in mediation. My other son just said he's considering law school, so maybe it all balances out?

Really have to go read the original lease to figure out if prevailing party gets attorney fees paid.

"She a-howlin' about the front rent,

She'll be lucky to get any back rent

She ain't gonna get none of it!"

"She was so nice,

She was lovey-dovey"

That may be the problem. She was expecting JSP to buff the floors before he left.

I had a landlord refuse my deposit being returned once. Didn't give me proper notice of damages in time (there weren't any), and then refused to itemize any costs.

I sued him for the max under the law (think it was double, maybe triple, the actual deposit) plus legal fees... offered to settle before filing for like a 66% being returned. The place was perfect shape but like fergy I figured it was better than dragging it out.

The night before trial was scheduled he offered me 100% plus all filing fees. I probably could've gotten the multiplier no problem but I just wanted fair and easy and took it.

throw her in a wood chipper

Does he own one? What's the cost of a rental? Is it close to the settlement cost? All things being equal, it sounds like the wood chipper is better for society as a whole. :)