Most likely TANK theory I've heard thus far...

#34fan

While I agree that the drought has nothing to do with the possibility of tanking this year, I still think that the idea of the Bills tanking is not far-fetched.

What have they done since the end of last season that tells you they're committed to making a playoff run this year? Which of the players they let walk have they replaced with players who've proven they will be just as good/better than their predecessors?

I think Holmes, Streeter, and Brown will be better than they guys they are replacing, and at worst, the same. And they're not rookies. If Zay Jones lives up to his draft status, the WR corps is improved immensely. If Sammy stays healthy for the year...

I think Hodges is at least as good as Brown. And again, he's no rookie.

As I said before, my concern is replacing Gilmore with White. But also as I said before, a change in scheme will put guys like Marcell, Jerry, Kyle, and Shaq back in positions where they belong/are suited and that will help the linebackers and secondary out.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your point still does not in any way indicate tanking and "our" #1 pick was spent this year on White. They acquired an additional #1 in 2018 as you well know. The players mentioned have quite a bit to prove of course, but they have pedigree that predicts as certain measure of success as they (White and Jones) were both selected in the same rounds as the players they replaced. They have to show they can cut it at the NFL level, but I maintain that it in no way adds up to tanking.

Trading down to take a CB when you could have selected a franchise ANYTHING says foundation-builder to me....Timing is consideration... If there was ever a time to tank-out for a rookie HC/GM combo, it would be NOW...

They'd look like geniuses if it worked out...

Edited by #34fan

Trading down to take a CB when you could have selected a franchise ANYTHING says foundation-builder to me....Timing is consideration... If there was ever a time to tank-out for a rookie HC/GM combo, it would be NOW...

they are not tanking. repeat after me, they are NOT tanking.

this thread fails big time

You don't re-sign a 35 year old Lorenzo Alexander or bring back Tyrod and Kyle Williams to tank a season. It doesn't add up.

But bringing back the QB who "led" the team to the worst passing game in the league .... you do that when you want to win?

But bringing back the QB who "led" the team to the worst passing game in the league .... you do that when you want to win?

Was there a better veteran alternative?

It's pure fantasy.

Guess we'll see...

And yet.... Here you are. :)

No one ever said for 100% certain that this IS a Tank Job... We were merely discussing the implications of certain off-season maneuvers. The conversation branched off into the merits of a thorough, well-scripted, tanking...

The only person who said that anything was 100% was YOU... A fact, I hope you don't end up regretting! -GO BILLS!

Who is to say that White can't be a franchise CB?

Was there a better veteran alternative?

Nope. TT, while limited, was still the best option and led an offense which was good enough to get into the playoffs, if the defense had done it's job.

Who is to say that White can't be a franchise CB?

Nobody.

Nope. TT, while limited, was still the best option and led an offense which was good enough to get into the playoffs, if the defense had done it's job.

Your beloved TT will get another chance... Let's hope this all doesn't end in tears. -And by "tears" I mean 7-9, or 8-8

At least a 3-13 season means there's something REAL to look forward to... By week 6, I'll know where we're headed.

Edited by #34fan

Guest NeckBeard

So, for what it's worth I don't buy the tanking line of thought, because I think that outside of extreme situations where a team really and truly needs to start over -- would tanking even be part of the conversation. But to your point, I can see the wisdom behind a new HC/GM starting over, and to a certain extent I think they are, but without purging a bunch of old assets then using the next 2-3 years only to try to obtain new assets. This very thing appears to be happening with the Jets right now.

I believe that the last coaching regime was so flawed that it's probably hard to point fingers at a bunch of guys and get rid of them at a knee jerk. Of course, if the Bills go well under .500 this year, then I would not be surprised to see a ton of changes.

those lines always kills me.

the best option

option A - putting on a sneaker with a scorpion inside

option B - putting on a sneaker with a black widow spider inside

Which is the best option? Whether it is from TT or someone else, we need better. It's been mentioned numerous times at least 3 playoff teams had equally as bad or worse defenses than the Bills.

As to the OP. Tanking is for losers.

As to the OP. Tanking is for losers.

Would you say we're winners at this point in time? :lol:

I know exactly who, and what tanking is for, and believe me we fit the bill... You want your Andrew Luck, or Marcus Mariota? You want a stud DT like Bama's Da'ron Payne to replace KW? -Well here's what you gotta do...

I'll quote the Pegulas new campaign "It starts with ONE" (tanked season) -No victory without sacrifice, my friend.

I have absolutely no doubt this team is going 7-9, no doubt at all. Jets, Browns and Niners will get the top 3 qbs so I hope the Bills don't pick the 4th best just because they had to again. I would rather wait 1 more year when Kyle, Shady and Sammy are all gone. It sucks as this was the year to do it but oh well, such is the life of a Bills fan.

I know exactly who, and what tanking is for, and believe me we fit the bill... You want your Andrew Luck, or Marcus Mariota? You want a stud DT like Bama's Da'ron Payne to replace KW? -Well here's what you gotta do...

I'll quote the Pegulas new campaign "It starts with ONE" (tanked season) -No victory without sacrifice, my friend.

Big Ben was drafted with the 11 pick in 2004, Aaron Rodgers was drafted with the 24th pick in 2005, JJ Watt was drafted with the 11 pick in 2011.....etc...etc...etc.

The need to tank in order to get great players is a fallacy.

Big Ben was drafted with the 11 pick in 2004, Aaron Rodgers was drafted with the 24th pick in 2005, JJ Watt was drafted with the 11 pick in 2011.....etc...etc...etc.

The need to tank in order to get great players is a fallacy.

Horrible examples... -GB had a superbowl-winning franchise QB in place.... Both HOU and PIT endured 6-win (tank-ish) seasons before striking gold with the picks you cited.

Tanking is a means to an end... Still, it's gotta be done right... Four wins or less... Any more than that and you haven't gone "all-in" on your tank :lol:

Edited by #34fan

Horrible examples... -GB had a superbowl-winning franchise QB in place.... Both HOU and PIT endured 6-win (tank-ish) seasons before striking gold with the picks you cited.

Tanking is a means to an end... Still, it's gotta be done right... Four wins or less... Any more than that and you haven't gone "all-in" on your tank :lol:

Fallacy. Point to one example of an NFL willfully tanking with subsequent sustained success or Super Bowl Championships.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

So far what has Suck for Luck gotten Indy?

As for Mariota though its only been 2 seasons and way too early to say how much the team had to sacrifice.

Leave the tanking to the Browns and Jets.

You want a stud DT?

Actually, I'd rather have a godsend for a QB.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan