Puerto Ricans vote on whether to become U.S. state today

ALF

Divided Puerto Ricans vote on whether to become U.S. state

Puerto Ricans headed to the polls on Sunday to decide whether or not they want their economically struggling U.S. territory to become the 51st U.S. state, although a vote in favor would likely face an uphill battle in Congress.

The island has $70 billion in debt, a 45-percent poverty rate, woefully underperforming schools, and near-insolvent pension and health systems.

3.5M population

The question at the heart of the non-binding referendum has been asked of Puerto Rican voters before — four times, in fact.

In the most recent vote, which was held in 2012, the island opted for statehood, though many people argued the answers on the two-question ballot proved inconclusive. And Congress, the ultimate arbiter of the island's bid for statehood, never picked up the matter.

Edited by ALF

No thanks.

Buy it from the people of Puerto Rico and the Puerto Rican government, but remain an American territory, and develop it as an exclusive tax haven for the elite.

Could be part of an interesting story line about a dystopian future, if Greg is paying any attention.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

This is all an attempt to get us to buy new flags with 51 stars on them. Can we just combine North and South Dakota then?

oh sure, i see what you did there. combine two red states and get rid of two republican senators

how about combining a pair of useless blue states like maryland and delaware

This is all an attempt to get us to buy new flags with 51 stars on them. Can we just combine North and South Dakota then?

i say just merge all west of albany to a ohio and call it ohio's upper peninsula and all things between albany and boston nuke it to hell.

Buy it from the people of Puerto Rico and the Puerto Rican government, but remain an American territory, and develop it as an exclusive tax haven for the elite.

Could be part of an interesting story line about a dystopian future, if Greg is paying any attention.

No that was not no thanks to buying PR it was a no thank you bringing them on as 51. I probably got enough from the sale of my house to buy it however.

oh sure, i see what you did there. combine two red states and get rid of two republican senators

how about combining a pair of useless blue states like maryland and delaware

LOL. Never really crossed my mind tbh but now I'm even more in favor of it. I know a GOP congress wouldn't allow Peurto Rico to become a state but the thought of having two more Democratic Senators would be great making the 2018 midterms even more important.

No that was not no thanks to buying PR it was a no thank you bringing them on as 51. I probably got enough from the sale of my house to buy it however.

3 bedroom houses don't buy squat.

btw, i looked at my property tax for the year for my 1200ish sq ft house valued much less than yours. $673/yr