Bills Polian's Sirius XM Bit on the Bills

Last night (Tuesday 6/7) I listened to Bills Polian's bit on the Bills offseason in the car on Sirius XM radio and contrary to a lot of what I read here, it made me feel good to be a Bills fan. It was very hopeful and sincere. I couldn't find the entire transcript but a few quotes from it are linked below are were really complimentary to McDermott.

http://buffalowdown.com/2017/03/05/buffalo-bills-bill-polian-sean-mcdermott-marv-levy/

I'd everything I have that Polian is behind some of the recent doings at OBD. I said it before and I will say it again he is in Terry's ear privately. Strange that the Pegula's take drastic measures this offseason and Polian loves it...not hardly.

I'd everything I have that Polian is behind some of the recent doings at OBD. I said it before and I will say it again he is in Terry's ear privately. Strange that the Pegula's take drastic measures this offseason and Polian loves it...not hardly.

I would buy this... :lol:

He had a lot of positive things to say about McDermott the other day while at Jim Kelly's Charity Golf Tournament.

And yeah, he was talking a lot about his time back in Buffalo at that tournament as well.

I have little doubt there have been conversations over the 2 1/2 years of official ownership...the fact that Bill is part of the NFL vetting of coaching candidates and McDermott was #1 on that list -- leads me to believe there have been lots of conversations..

I think the last 2 1/2 years have looked something like this -- Polian to Terry and Kim:

1) Keep Marrone and get rid of Whaley - not followed

2) Don't hire a buffoon - not followed

3) Get rid of the buffoon and Whaley -- they started to listen

4) Hire young and respected at coach and gm -- give them money to build an experienced staff and then give them time -- appears to have been followed..

The current organization has a long leash and lots of ownership patience and we likely have Bill Polian in part to thank or blame (please be thank!!!) for that..

Edited by JoeF

Last night (Tuesday 6/7) I listened to Bills Polian's bit on the Bills offseason in the car on Sirius XM radio and contrary to a lot of what I read here, it made me feel good to be a Bills fan. It was very hopeful and sincere. I couldn't find the entire transcript but a few quotes from it are linked below are were really complimentary to McDermott.

http://buffalowdown.com/2017/03/05/buffalo-bills-bill-polian-sean-mcdermott-marv-levy/

I've always liked Bill Polian. He's been a standup guy for his entire NFL career.

“Witness what he did with the secondary in Carolina last year. They lose their linchpin player and they’ve got to play two rookies who aren’t ready to play,” said Polian. “By the end of the year they were performing at a maximum level and he never uttered a negative or cross word through the whole situation. That tells you a lot about what a guy is going to be as a head coach.”

This is one of the reasons why I like McDermott. It wasn't just last year, either. That defense wasn't filled with a ton of big names (at least at the time). Like Josh Norman - he was originally a 5th round draft pick. It wasn't like he was some huge star. McDermott did an excellent job developing him. Back at the start of 2013, Carolina's defense was looked at as filled with a number of lesser known players, not a lot of star power, and they ended up being one of the top defenses in the entire NFL.

Being able to develop players and get the most out of what you have is extremely important IMO, and I think it's something McDermott has been very good at.

“Witness what he did with the secondary in Carolina last year. They lose their linchpin player and they’ve got to play two rookies who aren’t ready to play,” said Polian. “By the end of the year they were performing at a maximum level and he never uttered a negative or cross word through the whole situation. That tells you a lot about what a guy is going to be as a head coach.”

This is one of the reasons why I like McDermott. It wasn't just last year, either. That defense wasn't filled with a ton of big names (at least at the time). Like Josh Norman - he was originally a 5th round draft pick. It wasn't like he was some huge star. McDermott did an excellent job developing him. Back at the start of 2013, Carolina's defense was looked at as filled with a number of lesser known players, not a lot of star power, and they ended up being one of the top defenses in the entire NFL.

Being able to develop players and get the most out of what you have is extremely important IMO, and I think it's something McDermott has been very good at.

I hope this is true because this is what the Bills need. They have had enough talent on the team to make the playoffs for a couple of years now -- and they had it a few other times during the last 17 years, too -- but they've never had a HC who could -- or more importantly, would -- alter his "scheme" to fit the players they've got. That's especially true on the defense where there's been a 4-3/3-4 pendulum with every change of DC it seems. How about the FO hire a HC who wants a DC and OC who are flexible enough to adapt their schemes to the personnel available instead of demanding that square pegs fit into the round holes created by their egos?

Edited by SoTier

That McDermott defense finished worse than the Rex and Rob Ryan defense in points and yards allowed.

I hope this is true because this is what the Bills need. They have had enough talent on the team to make the playoffs for a couple of years now -- and they had it a few other times during the last 17 years, too -- but they've never had a HC who could -- or more importantly, would -- alter his "scheme" to fit the players they've got. That's especially true on the defense where there's been a 4-3/3-4 pendulum with every change of DC it seems. How about the FO hire a HC who wants a DC and OC who are flexible enough to adapt their schemes to the personnel available instead of demanding that square pegs fit into the round holes created by their egos?

The last Bills coach that didn't just run his scheme was Mike Pettine.

I rarely agree with you but I could definitely see this being true.