Beast Mode on El Capitan

Feel free to argue about the risk of such a venture, but I don't think he gives a damn.

Incredible feat in the outdoor world.

alex-honnold-freerider-free-solo.jpg

Complete article - http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/05/531584651/alex-honnold-scales-el-capitan-without-ropes-and-the-climbing-world-reels

Alex Honnold has shocked the sport of climbing by reaching the peak of El Capitan without using ropes, climbing one of the world's largest monoliths in less than four hours with little gear other than a bag of chalk.

"So stoked to realize a life dream today," Honnold wrote on Facebook on Saturday. He shared a photo of himself on the Yosemite National Park landmark taken by Jimmy Chin of National Geographic, which is basing a new documentary on Saturday's climb.

"Speechless," wrote the American Alpine Journal in its response to the news that Honnold had tackled the imposing 3,000-foot granite wall in a "free-solo," ascent, climbing alone and without safety gear.

Honnold raced up the wall in 3 hours and 56 minutes, prompting Alpinist magazine to say, "This is indisputably the greatest free solo of all time. Congratulations, Alex!"

Edited by Just Jack

Wow... All I have to say is that one has to be an extremely confident person and have a firm understanding of physics so they can use it to their benefit (not falling).

I get dizzy just looking @ that pic! Ha!

Oh... And have a good inner ear thing going?

I'm extremely confident with a firm understanding of physics. And I can barely climb stairs.

So I'm thinking maybe there's a little more to it.

Feel free to argue about the risk of such a venture, but I don't think he gives a damn.

Incredible feat in the outdoor world.

alex-honnold-freerider-free-solo.jpg

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/05/531584651/alex-honnold-scales-el-capitan-without-ropes-and-the-climbing-world-reels

I'm less impressed by the climb than by the preparation that must have gone in to it. How the hell do you train for that sort of climb, to the point where you can say "Yeah, I'm ready for a free, solo, speed-climb of El Capitan!" That's the video I want to see.

I'm extremely confident with a firm understanding of physics. And I can barely climb stairs.

I'm less impressed by the climb than by the preparation that must have gone in to it. How the hell do you train for that sort of climb, to the point where you can say "Yeah, I'm ready for a free, solo, speed-climb of El Capitan!" That's the video I want to see.

2 parts physics and 1 part Idiot!

Not confident enough to try. Why don't you try! So, no, you aren't confident.

:-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I'm very confident.

I'm more confident in gravity, however.

Touche! :-)

Always keep THREE holds. That should get you up the first 100 feet. From there, let physics and your big, tippy head take over. You'll be fine. Text us when you get to the bottom.

Pics or it didn't happen! :-P

Yes - but that was said about lots of big peaks.

Also:

Corbet's Couloir (Jackson Hole) comes to mind, first skiable in 1967. Now ski tech has it that almost every Tom, Dick, and Harry can take the leap and hard right into the couloir and come out alive:

250px-Corbet%27s_Couloir_jackson_hole.jp

Just imagine jumping into that with a pair of straight 210's and leather boats.

Also:

Corbet's Couloir (Jackson Hole) comes to mind, first skiable in 1967. Now ski tech has it that almost every Tom, Dick, and Harry can take the leap and hard right into the couloir and come out alive:

250px-Corbet%27s_Couloir_jackson_hole.jp

Just imagine jumping into that with a pair of straight 210's and leather boats.

The leap depends on snowpack. The dry years it's ridiculous, the deep years it's just a steep ramp. Lots of guys side slip it.

I'm more of a Crested Butte then Jackson fan. The terrain there is out of this world. Anywhere else it be roped off. Stuff like Toilet Bowl, Dead End and Cesspool are freaking widowmakers.