Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially when one considers just how productive Sammy has been in the games he's played with just 276 targets. He acted as if the man has no production.

What good is production if the dude can't be counted upon?

Do you really think he's going to play all 16 games this season, and then be available for all the playoff games? lmao, it hurts to even type that.

Is this the dream world you guys are living in?

Please look up and tell me what color the sky is in your world.

That's not at all how it reads.

Not a comparison, you guys need help.

Yes, it is...

What you mean to say is "that's not how I meant it".

Honestly, it's okay.

We've all mis-stated things before.

Do you really think he's going to play all 16 games this season, and then be available for all the playoff games? lmao, it hurts to even type that.

So you're still going to go at this topic without a scintilla of factual evidence to support your stance?

Still waiting for you to buttress your assertions with factual information.

Facts are, he's not the player they thought they were getting when they traded up.

This whole Sammy Watkins thing is yet another Buffalo Sports debacle.

That's really the bottom line.

But, if you want to coddle your participation trophy and tell yourself Sammy will become Julio Jones, then go right ahead. We can revisit this next offseason when Sammy walks and the Bills get nothing for him because they were too stupid to move him before it became apparent he's not worth the franchise tag.

Have you seen the medical reports on his progress and long term prognosis? No one knows for sure, but 2nd procedures that are performed to correct Jones fractures have a high rate of success. If you know better please share your insight. Other than that, you're simply opining.

Facts are, he's not the player they thought they were getting when they traded up.

This whole Sammy Watkins thing is yet another Buffalo Sports debacle.

That's really the bottom line.

But, if you want to coddle your participation trophy and tell yourself Sammy will become Julio Jones, then go right ahead. We can revisit this next offseason when Sammy walks and the Bills get nothing for him because they were too stupid to move him before it became apparent he's not worth the franchise tag.

Those are all opinions.

Yes, it is...

What you mean to say is "that's not how I meant it".

Honestly, it's okay.

We've all mis-stated things before.

So you're still going to go at this topic without a scintilla of factual evidence to support your stance?

Said exactly what I wanted to.

A highlight vid means nothing. Just as my example pointed out, I can find at least two for James Hardy.

Not at all a comparison. The point was... even the worst players have highlight vids.

The fact that you didn't take it that way says more about you than me.

Edited by likei've

Have you seen the medical reports on his progress and long term prognosis? No one knows for sure, but 2nd procedures that are performed to correct Jones fractures have a high rate of success. If you know better please share your insight. Other than that, you're simply opining.

Is he the player you were expecting when they traded up?

Would you trade up for him again?

I was against the trade from the get go, and it has actually played out worse than I thought. It doesn't get anymore Buffalo New York than that.

Disaster...

KJ, this IS a great post. But, I am asking you to at least consider the w/l record when rating the Watson trade (when he was drafted). The Bills are not winning consistently and have not even sneaked in as a wild card.

Imo, teams should be constructed primarily through draft picks. This would seem to apply even more to Buffalo, which doesn't seem to be commonly thought of as a highly desirable location by young football players. Even if Sammy IS great (his talent is obviously in abundance), was it worth the draft choices it cost the team to pick him up? Has he won us a lot of games?

What I'm trying to say is that a good or even very good player can, under some circumstances, be a bad draft selection.

jmo.

I guess what I am getting at is "was the price high" and "has he played well" are 2 different questions. The Bills actually did something "non-billsy" in that draft IMO. They didn't reach for a guy like Maybin, EJ or Losman. They weren't trying to be the smartest guys in the room. They aggressively tried to add one of the safest prospects in years at a position of need.

I don't think that we can say that it has worked so far but I wouldn't say it's failed either. He's been a difference maker when he's been thrown the ball. Sammy needs to get it more. If he's healthy, and targeted like a number 1 receiver (10 a game ish) the production will be elite. I know that there are some "ifs" in there but it's too early to give up on that guy at age 23.

I'm sure his teammates don't really care why he cannot be counted upon.

I hope I am wrong about Watkins, really do, but it seems unlikely.

He's just not going to be worth the franchise tag.

With all due respect

Dont you think that is why they did not pick up his option? They want to see what he is healthy before committing big money to him? And 3 million dollars difference is really not that much when we are talking about the higher caliber players.

We will have a better understanding of what Sammy is after this year......right now he is a blue chip talent player who has had injury issues.

A highlight vid means nothing. Just as my example pointed out, I can find at least two for James Hardy.

Not at all a comparison. The point was... even the worst players have highlight vids.

Can you post the Aaron Maybin Bills highlights? I'd like to watch them again...

I was against the trade from the get go, and it has actually played out worse than I thought. It doesn't get anymore Buffalo New York than that.

Disaster...

You do realize that only 3 players have more receiving yards before turning 24 right?

KJ, this IS a great post. But, I am asking you to at least consider the w/l record when rating the Watson trade (when he was drafted). The Bills are not winning consistently and have not even sneaked in as a wild card.

Imo, teams should be constructed primarily through draft picks. This would seem to apply even more to Buffalo, which doesn't seem to be commonly thought of as a highly desirable location by young football players. Even if Sammy IS great (his talent is obviously in abundance), was it worth the draft choices it cost the team to pick him up? Has he won us a lot of games?

What I'm trying to say is that a good or even very good player can, under some circumstances, be a bad draft selection.

jmo.

Fair points Bill, here is how I would counter/answer them.

While taking into account what you just said, you also have to take into account the state of the team at the time of Sammy acquisition. We had a talented defensive roster and our biggest achilles heal was offense. We also had a young first round QB who showed some promise his rookie year. No matter what anyone thinks of EJ now, its undeniable there were some flashes on potential in him that first year. Obviously, it was never reached, but at the time of the Sammy draft, we had a young QB who needed weapons in order to have a chance to succeed.

Going into that draft, a playmaker in the receiving game was one of our biggest holes and a massive need and we were mostly mocked to take a WR or Ebron that draft had we stayed at our original pick. Bills saw an opportunity to grab what was by far the highest graded offensive prospect in that draft, and was even seen as the best overall prospect in the draft by many. So at the time, trading up to get him wasn't obscene and looked like it could be the potential missing piece to turn the offense around to match the defense.

And looking at it out now...Watkins was exactly that piece in terms of talent. Unfortunately injuries have prevented him from being able to stay on the field, however, there is no denying the impact he has on this offense when on the field AND healthy (not just a hobbled decoy).

You asked will he win you games...my answer is yes, and here is why I come to that conclusion:

1. Tyrod Taylor led Bills teams have a winning record, 1 game over .500 in the games TT has started the last 2 years. Watkins has essentially only been healthy for less than 1/3 of those games (about 10 out of 32 possible starts).

2. He was hurt and hobbled before the bye week in 2015 and really only healthy the final 9 games. In the 9 healthy games, Tyrod and Watkins had a great connection and Watkins was one of the most productive WR's in the NFL during that stretch.

3. In 2016 he was hobbled almost the whole year until the final 2 weeks where he was able to manage the injury better and at least get as close to healthy as we was gonna get under the circumstances. And that final game Tyrod didn't even play, so really Sammy had one relatively healthy game with Tyrod in 2016 and went off in that game for 150+ yards and a TD.

4. In 2016, Tyrod led Bills lost 8 games, and 6 of those losses came by six points or less.

5. In 2016, outside the NE fluke shoutout with no Brady, the Bills were 26th in the NFL in points allowed on defense during the other 15 games. At the same time, the offense was 3rd in the NFL in Touchdowns scored during the 15 games TT started.

Conclusion: Looking at the above data, I think its reasonable to conclude that with a healthy Sammy on the field we could certainly see the potential to win more of those close games. Factor in an expected improvement to our pathetic defense the last 2 years, and having Sammy anchor a more effective passing game to go with a dominant rushing attack and its not hard to see how he could significantly improve our chances of winning week to week when healthy based on the balance he brings to the offense thats been seriously missing when he was out or playing as a shell of himself.

If Sammy can stay healthy for 16 games this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1400+ yard season and double digit TD's...he is that good and no matter what anyone thinks of Tyrod overall, he clearly has a good connection with Sammy who is able to be highly productive when he isn't hurt.

First off, no, you aren't going to find anything even remotely close to the video that 26 posted for Watkins from James Hardy--a player with 10 career NFL catches.

Secondly, it was a comparison. To compare is to draw a parallel between 2 persons/places/things. "James Hardy has a highlight video too"...yep, comparison. Again: it's not what you meant to do; fine. Say so and move on; we're all adults here, and it's not like we're asking you to admit defrauding your bank.

As to what it says about me, well, yes, I admit that I can read...you've caught me :oops:

Edited by thebandit27

Even if I take what you're saying 100% literally it is absurd. James Hardy's entire NFL career consisted of 10 catches and 2 TDs, and you're telling me he has not one, but two highlight videos that compare to anything Sammy has done?

Disaster...

You are funny man. His production even with the injury issue has been very good and at 24 years old I believe his best football is ahead of him. You want to be mad about what it cost to get him, then knock yourself out. You still haven't backed up your assertions with anything more than additional declarations.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Even if I take what you're saying 100% literally it is absurd. James Hardy's entire NFL career consisted of 10 catches and 2 TDs, and you're telling me he has not one, but two highlight videos that compare to anything Sammy has done?

Hokie, it's NOT a comparison...all he's saying is that anyone can have a highlight video just like that

:lol:

James Hardy has some fun TD vids too.

One of the most ignorant comments in the history of TBD. Hardy was the very definition of "inability to gain separation" whereas Watkins' main strength is the ability to do just that.

Phucking trolls have taken over.

Hokie, it's NOT a comparison...all he's saying is that anyone can have a highlight video just like that

:lol:

James Hardy with deep speed and savvy moves to gain separation and fend off a DB to make a big play. We all saw plenty of that in his ten....count 'em....ten whole career catches. :rolleyes:

One of the most ignorant comments in the history of TBD. Hardy was the very definition of "inability to gain separation" whereas Watkins' main strength is the ability to do just that.

Phucking trolls have taken over.

Terrible reading comprehension has taken over.