Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

Referring to the hot takes...they don't contribute anything outside of derailing good conversation. It used to be a few people and it was lovable, like a crazy uncle. Now people just say stuff to get a response.

Maybe it's just me but it was much more interesting when people shared their opinions and gave the reasons that they felt that way. Even if they looked at something differently it made for good conversation. I guess in the world of "followers" and "likes" it's more important to elicit a response than to bring something to the table. This place was just a lot better before everyone tried to be Lavar Ball.

I would imagine that things will tighten up - and one-way tickets will be issued - as the season nears.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...here's a challenge to the folks that want to call Sammy a bust:

Go ahead and show me, with numbers and context, why he's a bust.

I dare you to put together a reasonable argument that's backed up by facts.

I think the people who call Sammy a bust are the people who tend to overstate their frustrations.

And there are reasons to be frustrated. Sammy's talent is obvious to even a casual observer. But his actual production so far hasn't been commensurate with the draft-price we paid for him. That's also obvious.

I'm sure the Bills are open to trading him like they're open to trading any player if the offer is good enough. Being open to a trade is not the same as shopping him.

And in regards to the level of discourse here, I would welcome the mods banning posters who tend to say idiotic things. There are way too many ad hominem attacks in place of rational argument. It's okay to disagree but I don't understand why we have to attack each other. As long-suffering Bills fans with shared love of this team, we should be a band of brothers.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Guest NeckBeard

I realize that we are living in the "hot take" era but it's just a waste of time at this point. I really wonder if these people believe the ridiculousness that is being spewed all over this board? Either way it's exhausting and not like it used to be.

*shrug* A few days ago I'd made a point in this very thread, and received pretty trashy treatment by a TBD regular, and for what it's worth I wasn't being the least bit ridiculous.

One thing that maybe could happen would be closing threads like this before they get to 40 pages. BBMB loved trash like that, and it's because people would just argue for the sake of arguing. Just close the thread early, and it will stop the insanity, because the people who insist on being heard every second or two will be neutralized. I am sure of it.

I think that you hit on what a lot of people were missing. They start talking about all of these other receivers from the draft that have played well. At the time of the draft only Evans was considered in his league and probably less than 1 out of 20 would have ranked Evans higher. Watkins was an ELITE prospect with a high ceiling and a high floor. He was clean on the medical end and had just a small off the field issue (think it was weed as a young player). He had just come off of a game where he ANNAHILATED an elite OSU secondary. Watkins was the highest graded player on many teams board in 2014 and higher than any prospect in 2013. He was, by many accounts, the best player to come out between the end of the 2012 draft and the start of the 2015 draft. He was considered the best receiver prospect since Julio and AJ Green and graded out similarly.

Since coming into the league he has had some nagging injuries but that is bad luck. We didn't know that coming out. When he has been thrown the ball he has performed like the prospect that he was. The Bills need to get him healthy and to throw him the ball 10 times a game. if you do that he will unquestionably be a star.

KJ, this IS a great post. But, I am asking you to at least consider the w/l record when rating the Watson trade (when he was drafted). The Bills are not winning consistently and have not even sneaked in as a wild card.

Imo, teams should be constructed primarily through draft picks. This would seem to apply even more to Buffalo, which doesn't seem to be commonly thought of as a highly desirable location by young football players. Even if Sammy IS great (his talent is obviously in abundance), was it worth the draft choices it cost the team to pick him up? Has he won us a lot of games?

What I'm trying to say is that a good or even very good player can, under some circumstances, be a bad draft selection.

jmo.

How did anyone get a Sammy Watkins-James Hardy comparison based off what I said? Worst is the rest of you that just followed along with it like a bunch of non-fact checking sheep.

Man, some serious need of reading comprehension around here.

"What, someone said James Hardy? Must be comparing him to Watkins, zomg!" (Please read that in the tone of a slow witted cave troll)

You can find a clip or two for anyone in the NFL. A clip doesn't mean anything. Does Sammy have some fun clips out there? Of course, but I'll take a guy who has less clips and more production anyday.

Edited by likei've

I'm getting to that point too. I try to stick to 1 or 2 threads at a time but am thinking about giving it up altogether. I used to enjoy the intelligent debates but the intelligence is leaving.

I totally agree. I had to leave again after the draft and barely posted since. Even in the case where a good topic is finally started, its almost immediately hijacked by the absurd, even often derailing into things that have nothing to do with the original post (like how certain posters turn any non QB thread into a way to bash Tyrod still).

On occasion a few quality threads emerge with a quality discussion...case in point, this one: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/194150-who-was-the-best-pass-rusher-of-all-time/which is a rare good discussion thread with good back and forth. But thats simply because it has nothing to do with the current team and unfortunately quality discussions have become more scarce around here this off season. You get into a thread about someone on on this roster, coaching staff, or front office and all bets are off...it will divulge into a world devoid of civil discussion, logic, and reason. Hell, it doesn't even have to be a player or front office member still with the team just as long as they were recently part of this organization (see: Hogan, Chris).

How did anyone get a Sammy Watkins-James Hardy comparison based off what I said?

"What, someone said James Hardy? Must be comparing him to Watkins, zomg!" (Please read that in the tone of a slow witted gollum)

You can find a clip or two for anyone in the NFL. A clip doesn't mean anything. Does Sammy have some fun clips out there? Of course, but I'll take a guy who has less clips and more production anyday.

37 games with 153 catches for 2459 yards and 17 TDs. Pretty darned good production.

How did anyone get a Sammy Watkins-James Hardy comparison based off what I said? Worst is the rest of you that just followed along with it like a bunch of non-fact checking sheep.

"What, someone said James Hardy? Must be comparing him to Watkins, zomg!" (Please read that in the tone of a slow witted cave troll)

oh boy

See there is this thing called a Jones Fracture......

I'm sure his teammates don't really care why he cannot be counted upon.

I hope I am wrong about Watkins, really do, but it seems unlikely.

He's just not going to be worth the franchise tag.

Edited by T-Bomb

Right! Because NFL players never sustain injuries. :thumbsup:

Injury plagued players just don't make it.

Only reason Gronk has is because Brady can do it all by himself, any other team, you have to cut off the gangrene limb.

Maybe he should be a CB with that fancy back pedaling footwork. B-)

Right! Because NFL players never sustain injuries. :thumbsup:

Or you truly don't understand what you're reading.

There was never a comparison of Hardy to Watkins.

Only that videos mean nothing because everyone has some. A good highlight reel does not an elite player make.

If you truly had a problem putting that together you might want to think about night school.

Edited by likei've

James Hardy has some fun TD vids too.

Gee...how did anyone get that comparison?

Oh, I know: you made it. "James Hardy had some fun TD vids too".

If you want to take it back, or say that you didn't mean it that way, fine...but let's not pretend that you didn't make it.

Injury plagued players just don't make it.

Only reason Gronk has is because Brady can do it all by himself, any other team, you have to cut off the gangrene limb.

Except that you continue to miss the point. He's started more games in his first 3 seasons than Julio Jones did...if injury-plauged players just don't make it, then we should've seen Julio's demise years ago, right?

And again: I ask that you support your opinion of Sammy being a bust with numbers and context. Do you accept that challenge, or are you content to substantiate your opinion with another heaping pile of opinion?

Only that videos mean nothing because everyone has some. A good highlight reel does not an elite player make.

If you truly had a problem putting that together you might want to think about night school.

What's your 40 time?

Nope...you made the comparison. It's okay if you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it reads.

Nope...you made the comparison. It's okay if you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it reads.

Especially when one considers just how productive Sammy has been in the games he's played with just 276 targets. He acted as if the man has no production.

I understood your comment in miliseconds. Just want you to know not all forum members have reading comprehension issues.