Is the AFC East the NFL's Worst Division?

The rest of the NFL hasn't manned up either.

you know exactly what I mean about the failure of the "other 3" in the division to try to take 2nd place the whole time...

this isn't a 4 SB run in 6 seasons....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rest of the NFL hasn't manned up either.

Well, Brady has 14 division titles but only 5 super bowl titles, so I'd say the NFL has done a much better job of manning (no pun intended) up that the AFC East has done.

well, ya have to say YES, even though I believe the Bills have been a more consistent team than MIA & NYJ. It's just that none of us 3 teams can get past the Pats*. Given NE*'s 7 SB's, its a tad unfair to lump us all into the frying pan. It's one thing to own a division, it's quite another to consistently roll through the playoffs as well. Just ask Cinci..

Well, Brady has 14 division titles but only 5 super bowl titles, so I'd say the NFL has done a much better job of manning (no pun intended) up that the AFC East has done.

My point is I think they would dominate other divisions as well.

7 SB's and 10 Conference Championship Games kinda shoots your theory down.

My point is I think they would dominate other divisions as well.

agreed mostly

the NFC has a lot more good and better teams than the AFC for a long time now, it's why they keep sending different teams to the SB compared to the AFC

Pats would probably lose a few more regular season games over the years due to better competition, would still make the playoffs.

The patriots single handed make us not the worst division in the league. They will probably have at least 14 wins this year.

I'm looking forward to the day when they can't assume a division championship before a season even begins.

The patriots single handed make us not the worst division in the league. They will probably have at least 14 wins this year.

nobody admires them gifted a 5-1

the article explained the reasons for the ranking, number of teams expected to achieve 10 wins was huge, the AFC East was the only one with 1.

It's the worst if we are talking about it not being competitve for the division title. But the AFC South is still the worst overall until it proves otherwise. I still like the Bills and Miami over all four of the teams in that division. Not saying Buffalo and Miami would go a combined 8-0 against them but i do think 5-3 is probable. Throw in the Pats and you have a much better division.

Disagree. Even if you add a win to our record every year we get swept by the Pats* we still only have had 2 legitimate chances at the playoffs in the last 16 years (2015 & 2004). That means it's about 12.5% on the Pats* and 87.5% on ourselves.

In 2004 we would have been 10-6 instead of 9-7 if we split with a team swapped with the Pats*, which put us in line with some of the wildcard teams that year, but I don't know (or care to look into) the tiebreaker scenarios.

In 2015 we would have been 9-7 instead of 8-8, and if we split with Houston, specifically, they'd have been 8-8 instead of 9-7.

Every other year and extra win wouldn't have made a difference.

Maybe...but 2 W's would do the trick....replace NE with Houston or even Indy, and the streak is not where it is now....

they have had 6 puff pastry wins for ever now.

6-0 before the season begins.

5-1 for years they get caught

i think everyone would be fine with the worst ranking except us fans looking for that division that is worse...

Not to the extent they have.

If they were in the AFC North or even West the division title wouldn't be such a cake walk year in and year out.

They own the Steelers and the Bengals, have a winning record vs Baltimore...( not even talking about Cleveland )....They own the Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders...only Denver gives them a hard time at MileHigh.....NE's winning % is pretty much the same in the AFC East as it is against the rest of the league...( around 0.750 )......they would win the division title elsewhere quite often...maybe not 14 out of the last 16 but probably 10 titles in the same time period....

The rest of the league needs to step up as well.....

Edited by Iron Maiden

They own the Steelers and the Bengals, have a winning record vs Baltimore...( not even talking about Cleveland )....The own the Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders...only Denver gives them a hard time on the road.....NE's winning % is pretty much the same in the AFC East as it is against the rest of the league...( around 0.750 )......they would win the division title elsewhere quite often...maybe not 14 out of the last 16 but probably 10 titles in the same time period....

The rest of the league needs to step up as well.....

the NFC has sent 9 teams to the last 10 Super Bowls, they have their parity act together for good teams

nobody admires them gifted a 5-1

the article explained the reasons for the ranking, number of teams expected to achieve 10 wins was huge, the AFC East was the only one with 1.

Pretty iffy IMO that the AFC West would have more than 1. Basically that means you think the Cardinals are a lock for 10 wins. Maybe a couple years ago that was true.

the NFC has sent 9 teams to the last 10 Super Bowls, they have their parity act together for good teams

Agreed...In the AFC, there's NE and then a significant drop to the Steelers, Raiders etc...In the NFC, Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle and Green Bay are all pretty close to each other.....

I think that a lot of people skipped the opening paragraph. He is ranking the "tightness of the division race." The AFC East absolutely is last in that sense. The gap between the Patriots and the 2nd place team is wider than the gap from KC to Oakland (for example).

Agreed...In the AFC, there's NE and then a significant drop to the Steelers, Raiders etc...In the NFC, Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle and Green Bay are all pretty close to each other.....

always another solid NFC contender to fill in if another one has injuries or a major braincramp on the road to the SB